SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL8 Dates are now set.

Ant

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree with stevenWolfes almost missed it last time too and have missed the peak starparty really dont want to miss this one :-)

Paul

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

All things being well, the bookings will be opened before September....

We are in progress of planning the activities and we'll let you know as soon as the itinerary is ready

There will be a information on how to book, what you can expect at the event, do's and don't's and lots of other useful info. We are making some tweaks to the booking process to make it easier and to make sure people get all the information - BUT - there will be a strict cut-off time this time round....

I have put the request in for the weather.... :D

I am thinking about a trip to the UK in March/April of 2013. The SGL Star Party looks like something I would like to take in while I am there. What logistical nightmare might I encounter if I were to attend without telescopes, camping equipment, food etc.? (All I would have is my standard tourist luggage and a hired car....) Are there B&B's nearby? Is food available on-site? Is it possible to hire a telescope for the event?

If I time it right I could spend a month in the UK and hit two star parties.......

Dave

Dave

There are certainly B&B's in the area, I'll ask MarkC (if he doesn't see this) if knows of some.

There will be food available (Hog roast again) or the site has a small cafe that does meals - breakfasts are especially popular!

I don't know about hiring a telescope though.... maybe worth a discussion with FLO??

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

I stayed one night here http://www.sinkgreenfarm.co.uk/ during SGL7. It is a farmhouse, so accommodation is basic but it is clean and perfectly acceptable. The breakfast will see you through the day. It is less than 5 minutes drive from the camp site and it is very easy for you to come and go whatever the hour. I paid £35 for one night's B&B.

Mike

PS Nice friendly people too.

Are there B&B's nearby?

Dave

Dave I live just a few miles from Lucksall where the star party will be held. There are a number of small hotels, B and Bs (MikeP mention one) in the area - you could also stay at a local British pub - The Green Man at Fownhope is very nice and only a few miles away. I went to a wedding there last weekend and the staff showed me around the accommodation.

If you decide that you are coming to the UK next year and want to attend SGL8 drop me a message and I can give more advice/opinions.

Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

We shall most certainly be attending, providing we get a pitch for the caravan of course, going to bring a nice Canadian open canoe for some daytime fun paddling on the river too. Talking of Canada, Cotts (Dave) we have a nice large awning on our caravan if you don't mind roughing it a little, I'll even bring a Troutfishing bed chair for you to sleep on.

Can we please have the hog roast again this year, last years was the best I've ever had, lovely.

Early March, eh?

So we're talking fan heater, two duvets, hot water bottles and some serious snuggling!

The weather was glorious for SGL7, so why not in early March?

June and July are currently pants for weather, so I'm more than hopeful for early Spring!

Huzzah!

Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm not only new to stargazing, but also to this forum. Please can you tell me what exactly SLG8 is. I gather it is some sort of star party, but is it a camping type thing or just a series of events? Where is is held? Can anyone come? What sort of price is it?

Sorry to be a pain, but there aren't many events in my local area and I am a complete novice and would love to go to an event to be able to meet others and get some advice from more experienced people.

Would be very grateful for any information you can provide.

Rae

Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm not only new to stargazing, but also to this forum. Please can you tell me what exactly SLG8 is. I gather it is some sort of star party, but is it a camping type thing or just a series of events? Where is is held? Can anyone come? What sort of price is it?

Sorry to be a pain, but there aren't many events in my local area and I am a complete novice and would love to go to an event to be able to meet others and get some advice from more experienced people.

Would be very grateful for any information you can provide.

Rae

Hi and welcome to SGL

SGL8 will also be my first SGL star party as well so I read through the previous SGL star party threads to get a few ideas.

HTH!

• 4 weeks later...

Like you,I'm a complete novice so went to SGL7 with my daughter meg,because Lucksall is near me ,and it was fantastic! We met some awesome people who took time out to talk to us and we got to look through some scopes,nothing was too much trouble,wll definetly be goin next year(hopefully with our own scope) so please come along,you will learn loads

• 2 weeks later...

If (when booking is open) we wanted to book, would full payment be needed in advance or will you be taking deposits to secure a place,? it is just if booking does open the end of Aug it is just before we go away and finances would be tight.

Simon

Archived