Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL8 Dates are now set.

Ant

Hi Rae,

The answers to your questions are:

It is an event that runs for several days and nights. Usually starts on a Wedsnesday and lasts through to the following Monday or Tuesday.

Most people come on Friday and leave on Sunday afternoon, something to do with work!!!

It is mainly tents in the majority of cases, but some have motohomes and caravans.

Usually a good crowd of between 150 to 180 people attend. You should get to know about 20 to 30 of the members reasonable well.

The majority of the folk are more than willing to let you look through their scopes, will explain imaging and attempt to answer all your questions.

As James above explained a helpful bunch!!!

So if your don't have a scope that should not be a problem, it is a great place to learn what equipment may be suitable for you.

There is a Bring and Buy event on the Saturday morning, plus Talks on various Astronomy subjects run on the Saturday as well.

The camp site opened a new cafe at SGL 7 which was a great hit with the punters, cooked breakfasts (English full) were about £4 and dinner was about £5.

The Hog Roast on Saturday evening was a fiver, and great value with salad trimmings and rolls!!

Plus the campsite shop, will order you newspapers (if you let them know the evening before) and the shop is very reasonably priced, better than a local shop in the next village on price but not on choice. By the way the eggs in the shop are proper fresh eggs and are brillant. I ate a dozen at SGL7....

There is a very friendly pub in the village, which serves excellent meals for between £6 to £10.

So what is essential, a tent and gear, a red torch and Jaffa Cakes!! some drinks are also helpful.

Finally, it is a first class campsite, with an excellent owner and very friendly staff.

Oh, the cost for SGL7 was £13 per night if memory serves me correctly.

Trust the above helps with your decision to attend.

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How close to the date will the ticket's be sold? I only 14 and rely on my Dad to take me places which means he needs to know it would be convenient for him.

Well in advance! We're working on it at present, but there will be announcements - so keep your eyes peeled!!

I doubt you will. Last year they were released a week before my pay day and they were all gone before I had funds! :(

I'm sure if you buy some and get use them, you'll be able to move them on.

TheThing

So what is essential, a tent and gear, a red torch and Jaffa Cakes!! some drinks are also helpful.

You forgot to mention heaters. Electric heaters are essential if you wanted a good night sleep, and I bet they are the reason why pitches with electricity goes within hours.

• 2 weeks later...

We're in to Septemeber now. Any idea when we can start booking? There'll be a rush so I don't want to miss it!

Alexxx

SGL7 took place in late March earlier this year and the booking started on 19th January. My guess is SGL8 booking won't start until December or January.

Afternoon all.

Can't believe my luck! Lucksall campsite is only about a 10 minute drive or so from where I live. Eventhough I don't own a scope yet (hopefuly to be resolved soon) I really going to try hard to get down there and meet some people. The last time I was at Lucksall, I was holding campcraft sessions for a group of Duke of Edinburgh students on a canoe trip! This time, hopefully I'll be the one on the learning curve! Can't wait - just fingers crossed now that I can get the time off work!

MMM

All around to yours then for tea and Welsh cakes if the weather turns nasty. :D

I believe the phrase is 'no chance!'! It's a chance for me to get out from under the feet of the Mrs. If it rains - I'd rather sit in me tent/car or down the pub with everyone else. I might eb able to do something on the welshcakes though... Although jaffa cakes do seem to be the snack of choice amongst forum members!

Archived