NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's your favourite astronomy book?

dellboy78

Having worked my way through TLO I moved onto the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders by Robert Bruce Thompson & Barbara Fritchman Thompson and now use that for all my evening's observing. It's getting very dogeared so it must be good ! Highly recommended. I like their Astronomy Hacks as well.

If any of you have a Safari books account, the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders and Astronomy Hacks are on there - which may save a few quid :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having worked my way through TLO I moved onto the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders by Robert Bruce Thompson & Barbara Fritchman Thompson and now use that for all my evening's observing. It's getting very dogeared so it must be good ! Highly recommended. I like their Astronomy Hacks as well.

i know what you mean, ive only had my copy of " illustrated guide to astronomical wonders" for about six months, and its got dog ears, creases,scribbled notes on the balnk areas. love it.:D.

quite right too, its a nice follow on to t.l.a.o.

Wow, wasn't expecting such a good response! I guess my amazon account is gonna witness a bit of activity now,l I'll definitely be getting myself some of these books. And anyone else who has a favourite please let us know!

My two favourite books (for different reasons):

Turn Left At Orion: its a very practical laymens "road map" to the night sky and you just cant go wrong with it. Once you know a few basic constellations (say about 4-6) in the night sky............you can find your way around to anything.

My other favourite book.................

Astronomy~~Ian Ridpath: Again it is well written and explains in laymens terms everything you need to know as a beginner. It covers a wide range of topics from simple astronomy to astrophysics, in terms that we can all understand. Well worth a read.

Another really good read is a book called "A Short History Of Everything" by Bill Bryson. Very informative and enjoyable.

I really like: "A Visual Astronomer's Photographic Guide to the Deep Sky" by Stefan Rumistrzewicz.

And it's not just because I (and other forum members) know Stef, (Stefski), it's because it has really good images showing what you can actually expect to see through a scope.

Really worth a look.

• 10 months later...

Though still very much an astronomy noob I'd like also to recommend 'Astronomy Hacks' Robert Bruce Thompson & Barbara Fritchman Thompson. They share a wealth of experiential knowledge and using straightforward common sense dialoque.

Some theoretical explinations, through to practial hints n tips. Nicely put together ,sectioned well for a 'grab n read a bit' on the go!

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Astronomy-Hacks-Robert-Thompson/9780596100605 £16.98

To plug a couple that have not been mentioned, but I think are excellent:

Star-hopping by Robert Garfinkle - really good book for the visual observer

Starlight Nights by Leslie Peltier - a very inspirational book, and great for the Americana

Callum

Norton's Star Atlas and Handbook is probably the one I use most, but Burnham's Celestial Handbook is perhaps my favourite - if only it had a section on the planets! The introductory chapters are a great introduction to the subject.

+1 for Burnham's. Packed with information and if its a little dated, thats more than made up for by the fantastic writing and shear breadth of knowldege it contains.

Another +1 for Turn Left at Orion as well - kept me going through the first few difficult weeks when I started the hobby and I still use/read it daily!

Someone mentioned Neil English's "choosing and using a refractor" - I really enjoyed that too - well worth a read, as is his more recent book on classic telescopes, if your at all interested in telescope history.

My favourite would be 'Mysteries of Time & Space' by English Astronomer Richard A. Proctor. I'm reading it at the moment and it's the kind of book you can really just lose yourself with and travel back into the Mind of the Author. I managed to get myself a first edition from 1883. So interesting to read how the old Minds paved the way for Modern Astronomy. At the time of writing, Proctor knew nothing of other Galaxies but contemplates the possibilty that they're out there, some like ours, some completely different etc. Also, Pluto hadn't even been discovered yet.

Modern favourites includes 'Death by Black Hole' Neil Degrasse Tyson & 'Making Every Photon Count' Steve Richards.

Though not current, my favorite book is my 1934 copy of W.T. Olcott's " Field Book Of The Skies "

Why ? Well, I found it in a used book store on an urelated music shelf. Wow I thought, how lucky could I get, I had been looking for a copy for some time. Later when I got home and sat down for a read, I noticed an inscription and date by the previous owner. Wow again ! The date was exactly 76 years to the day that I bought it. I don't usually write in books, but on this occasion I signed and dated it also. It would be interesting to have the provenance of the former owner, perhaps one day I'll find out. :smiley: Its a great guide, and always in my kit.

Edit: Photo

post-21902-0-96360000-1358369861_thumb.j

I guess one of my oldest favourites is one that isnt published now but it helped me learn the constellations month by month and showed the positions of the planets and moon on view throughout the year. I think it was called simply "the Niight Sky" by the Daily Telegraph

and was an annual edition. Pity its gone now as it was an easy A5 spiral booklet you could take outside with you ..

Though not current, my favorite book is my 1934 copy of W.T. Olcott's " Field Book Of The Skies "

Why ? Well, I found it in a used book store on an urelated music shelf. Wow I thought, how lucky could I get, I had been looking for a copy for some time. Later when I got home and sat down for a read, I noticed an inscription and date by the previous owner. Wow again ! The date was exactly 76 years to the day that I bought it. I don't usually write in books, but on this occasion I signed and dated it also. It would be interesting to have the provenance of the former owner, perhaps one day I'll find out. :smiley: Its a great guide, and always in my kit.

Edit: Photo

It's online now too, thanks to Project Gutenburg - http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20769/20769-h/20769-h.htm :)

There are a few other old astronomy guides on there - not up to date but often charmingly written

To plug a couple that have not been mentioned, but I think are excellent:

Star-hopping by Robert Garfinkle - really good book for the visual observer

Starlight Nights by Leslie Peltier - a very inspirational book, and great for the Americana

Callum

Funny coincidence i'm reading 'Starlight Nights' at the moment - aside from some of Sir Patrick Moore classic books - i've found, i think due in part to a childhood envy and fascination of the great telescopes and observatories - sky and telescope magazine to be the most informative and inspirational.

andrew

Hi I'm a complete beginner, which books would you recommend,

I have heard of turn left and Orion and I'm on the look out for a cheap copy, I can't find it for under a tenner , do they pop up second hand often ? I can't view classifieds on here just yet,

Are there any other books , pictures are good lol ;)

Any books from Sir Patrick Moore for beginners ? I really liked his humour .

This book. Don't have my own copy, but need to get an original one at a second hand bookseller. I remember reading it in the early 70s as a 6-year-old. My God, that was a few months after the last lunar landing and during the Soyuz-Apollo Project (I remember vividly during John Craven's Newsround - remember that?).

Why? What else would you want from a book. Factual details are limited/non-existent and it doesn't really tell anyone much about space exploration, astrophysics or the engineering behind the projects. But as a small kiddie this book inspired me.

Edit: I ought to treat myself!

Archived