SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's your favourite astronomy book?

dellboy78

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is Uranus Upside Down? By Fred Watson - Funny, engaging and informative. Also, just finished Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku - really gripping, discusses cutting edge theoretical astro-physics - and then quite a few years back I really enjoyed Stephen Baxter's Deep Future - intriguing ideas on mankind's expansion into space and his survival in a changing universe (Kaku discusses this too). Mind bending stuff for sure :D

Edit: erm, can the second two actually be labelled astronomy... probably not sorry! But they're good :(

Difficult to choose only one :D I love many of Patrick Moore's books my favourite at the moment being the easy to read Stargazing (simple,informative and great to take outside). However my favourite astronomy books, well at least for today, are the beautifully presented Turn left at Orion and Making Every Photon Count as it told me the answers before I even knew the questions!!

Paul

brian greenes the elegant universe was outstanding,some of it was a bit heavy but got through it, im currently reading his follow up fabric of the cosmos which is even more mind boggling can really change ones perception of reality! more physics than astronomy but i think everybody should give them a go

Choosing and using a refracting telescope - by English.

I'm going to buy a frac soon and I love this book. Very good read.

I can't remember who said it, but I read a quote somewhere saying

"I like telescopes. I like astronomy almost as much".

I'm kinda in that camp at the minute. I love telescopes.

"Nightwatch" by Terrence Dickinson.

Reason is, it has simple easy to read star maps which also give detailed info on the interesting objects such as: magnitude, distance from here, size, and type. Also loads of info on scopes, eps, mounts and general astronomy tips. I have Turn Left at Orion, also a fantastic book, but Nightwatch is different in its simplicity and just a great read.

Bob.

Not strictly astronomy but as a child I read 'Flying to the Moon and other strange places' by Michael Collins. It really captured my imagination and was one of the drivers that led me to this hobby.

Turn left at Orion looks rapidly to be becoming a new favourite, though I have to go for Patrick Moore's "New guide to the planets". It's an old book now, but I used to read it from cover to cover as a kid at least two or three times a year. I'd love to see an updated version of this book!

Having worked my way through TLO I moved onto the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders by Robert Bruce Thompson & Barbara Fritchman Thompson and now use that for all my evening's observing. It's getting very dogeared so it must be good ! Highly recommended. I like their Astronomy Hacks as well.

Norton's Star Atlas and Handbook is probably the one I use most, but Burnham's Celestial Handbook is perhaps my favourite - if only it had a section on the planets! The introductory chapters are a great introduction to the subject.

Archived