Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's your favourite astronomy book?

dellboy78

I guess one of my oldest favourites is one that isnt published now but it helped me learn the constellations month by month and showed the positions of the planets and moon on view throughout the year. I think it was called simply "the Niight Sky" by the Daily Telegraph

and was an annual edition. Pity its gone now as it was an easy A5 spiral booklet you could take outside with you ..

This one, Altair?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Norton's Star Atlas and Handbook is probably the one I use most, but Burnham's Celestial Handbook is perhaps my favourite - if only it had a section on the planets! The introductory chapters are a great introduction to the subject.

I love Burnham's.

I've never read anything modern that has that same mix of science, practical observing data, erudition and cultural richness.

He doesn't just tell you how to find Polaris and give you some bald facts about it, he goes off on a multi-page discussion of its role in mythology, related archaeological finds and loads besides.

Archived