Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Most disliked eyepiece ?

johninderby

Leaving out the obvious cheap rubbish eyepieces that come with some scopes, which eyepiece was the one that you just couldn't stand? Was it lack of eye relief or perhaps too much, or just simply one that you couldn't get on with for whatever reason.

My personal nomination for the one eyepiece that I simply couldn't stand is the old 4.8mm Nagler. Bought one once, and while it was good optically, the virtually zero eye relief made it so uncomfortable to use I got rid of it a week later. Unfortunately it wasn't suitable to use as a door stop. :)

John

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only one i really dislike(d) is/was a 40mm Celestron E-Lux. I like widefield views so love anything over 30mm but the AFOV on this particular EP was only about 40 degrees. I am used to 50 degree AFOV in EP's. It felt as if i was looking down a cardboard tube at the night sky. I really didnt like it.

I sold it to someone here that was looking for a 40mm EP.

I quite liked the 4.8mm Nagler I used to own but it was my 1st Nagler so I guess I had a soft spot for it !.

Ones that stood out as notably disappointing were the old Skywatcher LER range, especially the shorter focal length ones, the Revelation / GSO 2" Superwides especially the 26mm and 50mm ones, the 26mm Meade QX which came as standard with a Meade Lightbridge 12" and finally some of the Meade 4000's notably the 6.4mm plossl that I had replaced twice by Telescope House and the 13.8mm and 24.5mm SWA Meade 4K's that I thought were way over-rated and over-priced.

What about Skywatcher LEs? I had the 15mm, and it gave me the worst picture of Jupiter I ever had - meaning: low contrast, *heavy* color although using a reflector telescope. I might have received a faulty one?... As long as nobody wants to buy it :), it sleeps in its coffin on my (yet very small) eyepiece graveyard.

2" GSO Revelation Superview 26mm. Extraordinarily fussy about eye positioning in either my F5 Newt, or F6.8 refractor. Just when you've got it right, you notice the eye cup was too short to shield incidental light.

Russell

I bought an unbranded 40mm from a seller in Hong Kong, looked great in the picture but eye relief was miles out so couldn't get the eye position right, and to cap it all the grooves for 1.25" filters was slightly too large, so couldn't even use filters with it (nebula filters as you would with this low power). So I got rid of it PDQ.

It was my 15mm Antares plossl, until I 'adjusted' it to give more eye relief:

http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/160181-antares-15mm-plossl-who-designed.html

I've liked all my other EPs (except the SR4, and that doesn't count). I even look out for a Celestron K20 like the one I had with my powerseeker as that was a good one!

Skywatcher LETs, I guess optically they were better than my previous EPs but I just don't seem to get on with them. I had trouble with the eye relief to the extent it hurt my brain after a while to try and consistantly keep whatever I was looking at in view.

I have a 0.965" 40mm Achromatic Huygenian which is pure tripe - 30° field! I took the top off many moons ago and use it as a magnifying glass.

The 0.965" 4mm orthoscopic I have has a 'challenging' eye relief :D

My 0.965" Circle-T 5mm Ortho: horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible eye relief (really horrible!). The 36mm Vixen Silver top Plossl had a 32 mm eye relief which was rather too much, but OK when you got your eye right. It also had only about 45 deg AFOV (1.25"). Any EP well over 30mm in focal length really needs to be a 2" type.

My 10mm MA that was supplied with the dob, just really tight eye relief and the view was so dim and narrow, felt like looking through a drinking straw. I really could do with something around 8-10mm to replace the 9mm Ultra-wide that currently fills the void.

Archived