Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Prof.Cox: An apology.

Lowstar

This is not easy for me but here we go anyway.....

In the past i may have...i did..cast dispersions on Prof. Cox`s narrative delivery on his BBC programmes. I would like to set the record straight and say i`ve found him to be very funny in his recent BBC lecture, not Ricky Gervais funny but certainly funnier than Lenny Henry. Also, as my girlfriend bought me "Wonders of the Universe" off Amazon* i can only say it`s a fantastic insight into our hobby and thank (cough) Brian for his input.:)

* Amazon are currently selling this book for £10 :D and not the full price my girlfriend might have you believe:rolleyes:

Clear Skies & Happy 2012 to all especially Brian.:)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need to feel embarrassed Lowstar. Your opinion reversal does you credit. Prof. Cox has his own delivery style which either appeals or doesn't. I think he generates a lot of interest, and even this forum has benefitted from his TV. presentations.

I personally can't agree on Gervais though. I find him as funny as a Toothache, but hey, if you like him, good luck to you :D.

Ron.

i wasn't nuts about the lecture thing, but i do quite like brian in his way. i thought the wonders of the universe book was great. much better than the tv series (the wonders of the solar system book is really good too). it amuses me that my girlfriend can't read any of his books because she hears them in his voice and it does her head in.

i`ve found him to be very funny in his recent BBC lecture, not Ricky Gervais funny but certainly funnier than Lenny Henry.

passing a kidney stone is funnier than lenny henry ......:D

Lenny Henry reached his artistic peak in Tiswas. It's just a shame he had to ruin it with everything since.

Hi,

I personally think Lenny Henry is brilliant in his hotel adverts,

so there!!

mijijim.

You know, on his recent tour he only stayed in Premier Inn's, and the staff in them got free tickets. The irony is that the majority of his crowd on any given night had free tickets.

I was fortunate enough to get "Wonders of the Universe", "Wonders of the Solar System", and "The Quantum Universe" in my stocking this Christmas.

I find the books better than the TV programs, purely because I tend to become irritated by the delivery. That is the fault of the director & producer, not Prof Brian.

I too saw a different side of him in his recent lecture.

I like him (TV and his books). As far as I am concerned anyone grinning like a kid when doing scientific experiments (like setting fire to a methane bag, blowing stuff up or going 'weightless' in a 'plane) whilst retaining that 'child like wonder' about science that I still have, is alright by me.

I have warmed (somewhat) to him. But a lot of my *friends* are "New Agers" (Such is the legacy of being a 70's student... Man!). I may yet sacrifice some... small mammal, to my Pagan Gods, as atonement for his un-belief! :D

Aside: As a 80's Particle Physicist (Hey, kept me of the streets!), I'm not into this modern... "faith bashing". <sigh> I do understand the "politics"? But, if I wanted "theological discussion", at the beginning of Science Lectures, I might look (with exceptions) beyond yer average Particle Physicist? LOL. Personal views are FINE, but stick to the *subject matter*, Brian? A "celebrity", doubtless. An inspirational scientist too! As a "philosopher", you may need work... :)

Archived