Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Prof.Cox: An apology.

Lowstar

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have warmed (somewhat) to him. But a lot of my *friends* are "New Agers" (Such is the legacy of being a 70's student... Man!). I may yet sacrifice some... small mammal, to my Pagan Gods, as atonement for his un-belief! :D

Aside: As a 80's Particle Physicist (Hey, kept me of the streets!), I'm not into this modern... "faith bashing". <sigh> I do understand the "politics"? But, if I wanted "theological discussion", at the beginning of Science Lectures, I might look (with exceptions) beyond yer average Particle Physicist? LOL. Personal views are FINE, but stick to the *subject matter*, Brian? A "celebrity", doubtless. An inspirational scientist too! As a "philosopher", you may need work... :)

I think he has every right to voice his opinion. Afterall, by voicing it he is not denying you your right, or anyone else their right to voice an opinion too!!

I think he has every right to voice his opinion. Afterall, by voicing it he is not denying you your right, or anyone else their right to voice an opinion too!!
Aaaaw C'mon! <G> Where have I denied Brian Cox his (very public) opinions? I don't feel denied my (limited exposure) one here... Though that may change as the thread progresses? [teasing] :)

Aside: Don't take me (at ALL!) seriously? Notwithstanding his REAL achievements, I begin to vaguely dread the controversy of "Brian Cox" (threads). Maybe it's a "generational" thing? <shrug> Oddly I now feel less inclined to pursue science - Even as an amateur, these days. Perhaps I've developed a nerd (self!) loathing? :D

I think he has adopted his tone and delivery style a bit. I used to find him a little patronizing and I know others did too - especially with his "wistful stare into the distance" habit. However, he was great on "A Night with the Stars" IMO.

He probably has all sorts of public speaking and presentation style coaching and advisors and I bet these traits will have been bought to his notice.

Steve

I think that anyone who can get across scientific concepts in an entertaining manner should be encouraged... we seem to have this issue in this country of cherishing artists, x-factor contestants and football players far more than they deserve (just expressing my opinion, no serious offence intended!) while degrading scientists and engineers.

... we seem to have this issue in this country of cherishing artists, x-factor contestants and football players far more than they deserve......

+1

Premier league Footballers especially. Overpaid, primma-donna louts IMO and yes I do love and play the game myself.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

His "Wonders" TV programmes tend to send me to sleep and I don't see why he has to go to all these exotic places and up in supersonic jets/vomit comets all the time.

His books are quite good though. I recommend "Why does E=mc2" - goes a bit slower than "A Brief History of Time" and tends to explain things that Hawkins glosses over, though it doesn't cover all the same range of topics.

He's a good lad that says what he thinks. Personally I think he's an attribute to astronomy and science.

Yes there is some self-self but he does stick to the facts and introduces a concepts in a manner that gets people watching.

The problem is the next step.. there's no backing for producing real programs to go through some interesting points beyond the masses. In the old days I used to catch the open university broadcasts and some of that is just the ticket.

Brian Cox is OK by me, I can live with his delivery style. There may be a hint of vanity, but heck, we're all guilty of that to a greater or lesser extent at times. Of course he's not going to appeal to everyone, but nobody on planet earth has that distnction, in any line of work or profession :D.

Ron.

The prof is awsome - just so easy to listen to & understand.

I bought the wonders DVD's from Amazon, in their black friday week.

We love the impressions show, version of him, if you've not seen watch this one - sound is a bit rough - but you need to see the longer version - completely safe for family viewing.

http://youtu.be/W2tUXuRHdFQ

There is another one, where he explores a volcano - can't find it !

He is self deprecating and provides me with "light bulb" moments.

His Sky at Night magazine DVD remark regarding gravitational lensing and his point on Horizon that the latent energy in a one dollar bill was the same as in a hydrogen bomb was very understandable.

The Brainy Cocks Rules.

I no longer see it as about Brian Cox. Re. the generalities of science portrayal / broadcasting, I [actually] laughed recently: Some "wag" noted that, if the BBC put out a program on "Dostoyevsky", it probably wouldn't be replete with a bunch of "dodgy comedians" complaining about the bloke's use of long words. :D

I think we can be content with the current stuff, but still aspire to better things. :(

This is not easy for me but here we go anyway.....

In the past i may have...i did..cast dispersions on Prof. Cox`s narrative delivery on his BBC programmes. I would like to set the record straight and say i`ve found him to be very funny in his recent BBC lecture, not Ricky Gervais funny but certainly funnier than Lenny Henry. Also, as my girlfriend bought me "Wonders of the Universe" off Amazon* i can only say it`s a fantastic insight into our hobby and thank (cough) Brian for his input.:)

* Amazon are currently selling this book for £10 :p and not the full price my girlfriend might have you believe:rolleyes:

Clear Skies & Happy 2012 to all especially Brian.;)

Ricky Gervais is funny? Not since The Office. Lenny used to be good, I wasn't impressed with the Christmas show though. Brian has his moments. :)

I think it's funny how everyone calls him Prof. Cox. Being in Research/academia myself we all just call each other by our first names or if we want to be formal for an introduction then maybe "Dr."

I think it's funny how everyone calls him Prof. Cox. Being in Research/academia myself we all just call each other by our first names or if we want to be formal for an introduction then maybe "Dr."

It's because he always seems to be billed that way on television, I think. Could be because there's an actor called Brian Cox, and I think also a footballer. Depending on the exact use it's not always polite :p

James

Archived