Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which scopes did you buy the very first time?

Russe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Way back when..... I had a small childs refractor, I'm guessing it was about 50mm, you had to use the eyepiece (which was the only one you could use as it was built in) as a plunger to get focus. Got bored quickly. Fast forward 30 years and my first proper scope is a SW 200P on EQ5 bought second hand.

Got a Celestron Nexstar SLT 130 a couple of years ago, which was a great intro to observing. Sure, GOTO made me initially lazy, but I soon learned the importance of star hopping (and asking the OH whose knowledge is much better than mine). I'm dabbling with imaging using a recently-acquired DSI PRO II. Again, good for learning the ropes - but its really highlighting the weaknesses of my current mount and tripod.

I think I'll invest in a new mount this year - and am learning a lot from this forum on pros and cons. I'm currently looking into the EQ5 PRO, which is certainly overkill for my current Celestron tube, but would be a good base for a better one in 2012/13.

My first telescope was a Meade etx 70at. Just when it came out in 2000. It's price tag was around 4-500 and worst mistake my parents made. We took 5 years to get it working. Always had problems every night. So I gave up. Next was the bushnall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 2nd hand - 1996, I think? - Tal 1 from a small camera shop. I bought it based on the reviews I had read and haven't regretted it. I'm now on my second Tal 1 & couldn't resist adding a Tal 2M which I got for a steal! The plan, so I told the missus, was to then sell the Tal 1, but 4 months later I can't quite get around to letting it go! :D

• 2 months later...

First scope was a 30th birthday present 12 years ago (you work it out, I'd rather not think about it :icon_salut: )

It was a Celestron C150HD, 6" Newt on an eq mount. It was a short tube design and had an additional lens in to shorten the light path which did reduce the performance above x150 but made it quite practical to use. It was bought after minimal research and I kept it around 6 years during which I found my way around the skies and how to work a basic eq mount, overall it was a good first scope.

a8573c3e-3990-546c.jpg

Stu

Well really started with a pair of borrowed bins (1965), liked the stars so much so built a 6 reflector (and it worked)! Now have progressed to a LxD75 SN10 with a piggybacked skywatcher 102mm Refractor.

Sunny days and clear nights.

My very first scope was an unbranded F11-F15 (not sure) 3" Refractor.

It had a giant wooden tripod and a simple Alt/Az head on it. My first memory of it is viewing Venus from the front garden of my Mum and Dads house...

I was around 13 I guess - rather a long time ago! Very fond memories! :icon_salut:

Ant

Celestron 8SE. Never really got on with the goto mount but if I knew then what I know now I probably would have got more out of it. Using EQ mounts has taught me a lot, but it can be a steep learning curve for the newbie.

My first scope was from Lydl, a Bresser Skylux NG 70/700. I used it for about three years before I bought my C9.25. Wobbly little thing, but it got me hooked!

I've now given it to a friend, lets hope it has the same affect on him :icon_salut:

Archived