NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which scopes did you buy the very first time?

Russe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My very first scope was a second-hand Bresser toy refractor like this one, except with wooden tripod.

http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/images/products/large/acturus%2060%2012%20sq.jpg

In retrospect, it was utterly useless, wobbly and poor quality but it was "the first" and that is the point. Traded it later ofr a HDD for my computer and regreted it ever since.

mine was a 72mm tasco refractor from dixons when i was 17 that was 35 years ago i still remember the first views of the moon, saturn, jupiter, and i saw mars aswell ah ther were the days...

You and me both.... :)

I remember the days when I used to project an image of the sun through mine onto a piece of paper so that I could record sunspots. In those days I didn't know you could damage a 'scope by doing this. Mind you the 'scope never seemed to complain and it went on to serve my well for some time until I moved to college and lost sight of it. I think my dad gave it away to someone in our street.

I splurged on a Celestron 8SE on Goto mount. I don't regret it as it gave me some great views as a first scope, and with a few really good diagonal and eyepiece upgrades it just got better and better, but the mount arm vibrations, power plug temperamentality, and difficult to read Goto scrolling text (when it is -5 outside anyway) made me hanker for something better.... like an NEQ6! But then my battery died from over-discharging, dammit.

The first scope that I bought, with my own dosh, was a Tal 2M.

Best decision I ever made. Whilst I haven't used the ota in a long time, the mount is still used to carry any of my other scopes. Does so with ease. Quite brilliant.

Would I do it differently, if I had to do it again? Nope. Not a chance. I can see me going to the grave with it.

One Man & His Telescope

Please note, the above blog is TOTALLY tongue in cheek.

very funny, thanks for that,made me chuckle.

...my first is my current. astromaster 90 e/q. bought it on two points

1/ wanted a refracor as the thought of collimation filled me with dread.

2/ i read the glass/lens and views were very good for the money . less than £115. which i have to say ive been happy with.

lack of finder and proper eyepieces were only drawbacks.

But then my battery died from over-discharging, dammit.

My battery died as well. Then I got new job and made a 4000 km move. Finally replaced the powertank yesterday. After months and months of non-observing, forecast is for clouds for the next several days.

A 60mm refractor. It had one eyepiece which had a like a click stop zoom (I think x25, 50 and x75 or something). No finderscope. I had no star maps either so only ever looked at the moon, Venus and Saturn.

My battery died as well. Then I got new job and made a 4000 km move. Finally replaced the powertank yesterday. After months and months of non-observing, forecast is for clouds for the next several days.

Maplins are doing their 5-in-1 Starter battery for £39.99 at the moment, I might get one just until I can sort out an AGM battery (which is taking longer than expected - no stock at the suppliers).

I don't know whether it counts, but my first-ever 'scope' was a 4" 'Newtonian' in kit form bought by my Dad for my birthday, back in the 1960s. Can't remember the make, but it consisted of cardboard tube, spherical primary :), secondary which had to be glued onto a bit of wooden dowel (forget collimation!); mount made out of pieces of chipboard and more dowelling, which I had to assemble myself. I should explain that finances were tight...

Can anyone identify it from my description? All I will say is, it did work - more or less - to the extent that I could see more stars in it than I could in my Dad's binoculars. Also I could split Albireo and Mizar (just!). Which was quite a 'wow!' factor for me, in those days...

Archived