SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which scopes did you buy the very first time?

Russe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Well firts scope this time round (cos otherwise I would be talking about scopes that havent been made for 30 years) was a Skywatcher 130PM (5" Newt on a motorised EQ2 mount) and a wonderful bit of kit it was too..........a very beautiful little scope with excellent optics. Sold it to upgun to a 200 and still regret seeing it go. I bet most 130s never really get used to their max capacity as people upgun which is a shame really.

Wish in some ways I had the space to have another one as a lightweight grab and go.

Didn't have a clue what to buy to first time until I stumbled on this place and read all the advice. Wasn't sure how much I'd use a telescope or if I'd get bored with it so only spent a bit & ended up with a SW 150pl Dob.

Totally hooked on this stuff now. ! still can't quite get my head around the fact i'm looking at galaxies millions of light years away or objects like the ring nebula. Simply stunning.

I dived straight in and got myself a 6" Celestron C6-N on an equatorial mouunt. I did find the inverted image very hard to get used to and was frustrated but I did see Andromeda and the Orion nebula, but couldn't find much else (I have some light pollution). I think I was expecting too much. Eventually I got a bit of dosh and got my current kit. As I'm impatient and need instant gratification the go-to is great! I've just sold the Celestron, and felt a pang of heartache, sigh.

Astrosurf, my first scope was a Celestron C150 HD on EQ mount which I think was the predecessor to yours. It was a very good scope, I saw alot with it and learnt my way around the sky before getting a goto. I did zero research before buying it but actually think it was a pretty good place to start.

Stu

The first astronomical scope " I " purchased for myself was a used Pencrest 114mm reflector, which was originally sold in the mid 1960s through one of the J.C. Penny department stores.

Still have it after all these years, there's a photo in my profile gallery. :smiley:

When I was a kid (about 12 I guess), I bought a reflector from a car boot sale. If I remember rightly it was on an old wooden tripod and I knew nothing about scopes except 'I wanted one'.

It was rubbish!

Or was it? I knew nothing about collimitation and with no internet for reference, I just assumed it was pants.

It ended up at the tip.

Perhaps I threw away a gem :-S

But I don't think so!

Typed by me, using fumms...

Archived