Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What challenges you in Winter Observing?

Winter observing brings lots of challenges. I tried to take advantage of some clear skies last night only to be defeated by high winds... and tumbleweeds! (Yes, there ARE such things!)

The skies were brilliant, but winds whipped up soon after the sky was fully dark. We went from calm air, to winds gusting up to 80 mph (130 kph!). Blowing dust and grit soon convinced me that it was time to pack it in - but the worst was yet to come. I had the refractor safely off the tripod and into its case when the tripod was hit by a tumbleweed! Think of a meter tall, dried out thorn bush (about 5 kg worth) blowing along at 40-50 kph! This thing hit the tripod, and wedged itself in. The increase in wind resistance was enough to tip the tripod over! ;) Fortunately, I caught it as it tipped and was able to prevent damage, other than a few nicks and scratches to my hands freeing the dratted thing from my tripod.

Winter observing poses unique challenges all over the world - what obstacles do you have to overcome to get your starlight fix in the winter months???

Dan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dan

I think high wind coupled with cold weather is quite off putting.

Using a large Dob in high wind is somewhat tedious.

Also high wind can bring adverse weather very quickly and catch you off guard if you are not careful.

Dew is an annoyance over here too but can be dealt with, with the proper prevention devices.

Regards Steve

Hi Dan.

Generally the biggest UK astro challenge is deciding whether it is worth all the setup and wrapping up against cold, when you expect cloud to roll in 30 minutes later!

Last winter was exceptionally cold in the UK. For a month I could not open the shed roof because of ice build up on the runners.

November this year we seemed to have fog, fog and more fog. On a good night it was only 95% RH so the issue was dewing!

Sometimes our cat walks around the edge of the shed and peers in at me. Never had to fight off a tumbleweed though.

I have to say, that although here in the UK, the weather is notoriously bad, I actually am in an ideal dark sky place, the small town of Ashburton, but, as I have become somewhat accustomed to the cold, it is rather deceptive. No, I don't have the tumbleweed problem, the the overnight temperatures here even in late November, can suddenly plummet, as I live very nearby to the expanses of Dartmoor, then the scope frosts over and its GOTO motor refuses to work, then I have to pack the whole damn thing away!! Of course, this does not compare to your desert, but I am thinking of buying a small travel 12V DC hairdrier to go with the Power Tank to sit under ther tripod. Can anyone think of any objections that the scope tube currents might have to this? It really is just the motor that I think needs to be warmed up....or is this a dumb idea??!

Yeah freezing temperatures.

When I finally get my kit setup for to get drizzle as soon as your back is turned usually times itself when I pop inside to get a hot drink or the wife wants some creepy crawly catching around the house ;)

for me apart from the weather the biggest annoyance is neighbours leaving every single light on in the house. this combined with early darkness is a very frustrating mix.

Shane, my neighbours leave an ornamental lamp post (with three lights) at the rear of their garden on all night - that is most annoying. ;)

(seems they don't care about their electricty bill either)

I have to agree with the cold also, especially when my feet get cold! It sometimes makes me finish obs sessions earlier in winter due to cold digits..

My garden is sodden.

I have three little paving stones set for the tripod feet when I used to observe with the EQ mounted newt, but that has a camera on it these days and I have the Dob for looking through. That just goes down on the grass.

If the grass is very wet I put a folded black bin-bag down first but I have been thinking about fixing some casters or something to the base to raise it up a bit. Carrying it all back in at the end of the night, stiff from cold and fingers refusing to work, the last thing I want is slippy muddy grass.

I don't want to put down more flags though because the kids need the garden too.

Wind is up again today. 40 mph all day, ramping up to 85 mph tonight - significantly higher in the mountain passes. The College I work at is literally at the foot of the mountain, they issued an advisory to everyone by email. Helpful tips such as:

1. It is cold when you stand in an 130 kph wind -- wear a jacket... and shoes. (Awwww! C'mon, give Darwin a chance!)

2. Don't stand in front of a window during a windstorm watching debris blowing by at 100 kph.

3. Hold on to a door when you open it.

You would think most anyone would find these to be common sense... but you never know! ;)

Cheers,

Dan

Wind is up again today. 40 mph all day, ramping up to 85 mph tonight - significantly higher in the mountain passes. The College I work at is literally at the foot of the mountain, they issued an advisory to everyone by email. Helpful tips such as:

1. It is cold when you stand in an 130 kph wind -- wear a jacket... and shoes. (Awwww! C'mon, give Darwin a chance!)

2. Don't stand in front of a window during a windstorm watching debris blowing by at 100 kph.

3. Hold on to a door when you open it.

You would think most anyone would find these to be common sense... but you never know! ;)

Cheers,

Dan

Yeah I herd NorCal was experiencing some pretty sustained nasty winds as well good luck to ya out there.

Cold usually doesn't really upset me but because alot of other people aren't a fan I tend to struggle with being all forever alone while observing. I also find my coffee getting colder much quicker and that really upsets me. I so love viewing in crisp cold air you tend to see way more than you would normally see during the summer being there is always 95% humidity in NC.

for me apart from the weather the biggest annoyance is neighbours leaving every single light on in the house. this combined with early darkness is a very frustrating mix.

Yep - that annoys me too.... ;)

The cold is a challenge although I have sufficient and good enough clothing now. Dehydration is the next challenge - breathing in cold air really takes fluid from you so I deal with that with large quantities of water/tea.

I don't generally get tired when out imaging/observing so that's not normally a problem and hunger is dealt with by Jaffa Cakes.

The main issue is whether to go through the hassle of getting the winter clothes on and setting up when I just know that the forecasted clear night will disappear with the clouds that roll in an hour later...

James

PS But when it all comes together it's possible to get 12 hours of imaging and observing in one night - magic! ;)

I echo most of the comments here:

1) Is obviously cloud - you could be standing under a stunning, still, clear and sparkling sky in the UK. No sign of impending cloud anywhere - except for unstable seeing or a sudden gentle gust - but even these signs doesn't necessarily mean cloud.

Then, as you stride outside in your cold weather gear, cleaned EPs and start your observing session, cloud suddenly appears from nowhere.

2) Fog. Need I say more?

3) The impending light pollution. My sky is an average limiting magnitude of 5.5, although the location SHOULD boast an even darker sky. This is due to several horrific light domes from a city 40 miles away and a couple of towns 20 miles away. Need I mention the neighbours' outdoor halogen discos?

Sometimes I feel the odds are stacked against us - I was talking with the kids today as they asked me where were the worst and best places to be an astronomer in the world - I mentioned the obvious locations which made us all swoon, but suspect that the UK may be one of the worst in the world, with regards to our weather system and light pollution.

As you can guess, I'm feeling rather discouraged as an observer at the moment! ;)

Is there a chart anywhere that lists the best/worst places?

The clouds - it never stops "clouding" in Cardiff.

The dew - I can't remember a single day in the last years, when it's actually been proper dry outside.

The cold - well, with Long Johns and cap, no probs there.

The missus - "why are you looking at stars, when you can look at me the whole evening..."

That's my list...

I am strangely cold resistant (no woolly jumpers in my wardrobe), so generally it is not the cold that is a challenge for me, unless it is ice build-up on the corrector plate. The snorts and grunts of passing hedgehogs (which mark summertime observing) are gone, so the main problem is cloud (but that is not at all reserve for winter only).

After last night....DEW !!

I had to concede last night after my corrector fogged up (even with a dew shield in place) First time that's happened to me.

But I think the conditions were such that this was likely to happen.

When I came indoors everything was dripping, (including my nose ;))

I don't want to have to buy a heater band and hope it was a one off?

So that was my challenge

Regards

Neil

Archived