SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Straw Poll - Would you buy a PoW Book?

SGL PoW Price Point  

33 members have voted

1. 1. SGL PoW Price Point

• Less than £10
    • £10 - £14.99
    • £15 - £19.99

If SGL produced a Picture of the Week hard back book - am talking a coffee table type thing here, lots of glorious pictures, info on the object, biog of the imager, etc, etc - would this be of interest?

And if so, what price point would go to?

No promises here, just gauging interest.... :)

Personally I'd prefer a full messier list version (although I appreciate this has already been done to some extent). I'd certainly buy this in preference to others.

Not sure on price to be honest but if close the others of the same type, same applies.

A 'best of the NGCs' version would be good too.

Definitely worth asking the question. I for one would buy one and to have them randomly presented too might work instead of the over-used journey through the night sky. Of interest to us lot is how the image was created. I take my hat off to those who spend 30 hours plus over several days getting perfection. For us numpties, it helps our understanding enormously. Can I suggest you might consider a voucher for the purchase of some equipment or look to contact the publishers of "Making Every Photon Count" perhaps even link up with the author and piggy back your POW images to a new, revised version - now that will sell!

In all honesty I probably wouldn't buy such a book myself at any price, as I'm far too much of a cheapskate. However, if the wife heard about it, she would most likely buy one for me as a Birthday present or some such excuse. £10 - 15 would be good (see statement above on fiscal attitude! She is aware of this and chooses gifts accordingly) but I don't know if that is realistic for what would probably be a short print run. I doubt she would pay more.

This is no reflection on the fantastic images POW winners have produced, I am inspired and enthused, and hope to join their ranks myself one day but I am satisfied just to view the images as posted on this forum.

No, I've accumulated masses of "coffee table" books over the years and most don't get looked at nowadays - in fact many have been donated to the local charity shops to clear some room.

That's not to denigrate the photographs or the expertise and effort that has gone into producing them/

Yes I'd buy one if not just to remind myself what can be achieved with readily available equipment and a lot of dedication.Would be a fantastic reference and guide I feel , plus give the members who have images published a great sense of pride.

Would also be nice if good quality materials where used to give the images justice. Look forward to any developments.

Rob.

Tough one! I probably wouldn't buy a book that was just pretty pictures, but one that accompanied the pretty pictures with detailed information, and maybe examples of how things appeared visually through 2-3 common scopes would certainly be of interest.

Price wise 10-15 pounds would seem suitable, I'm not sure id want to spend more.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quality doesnt come cheap so £15-20 doesnt seem an unreasonable amout for a hard back full of high quality images.I'd certainly be interested regardless of the price.(who says Jocks are tight)

It would certainly be a terrific reference for someone like me who is

wanting to give deepsky imaging a "proper go" and also a great book to relax with and marvel at the almost unbelievable beauty of the night sky.

hi not wanting to sound bad but its just as easy to download the pics from the net any were ,and all the pics on sgl (pow) look the same every oneis use in the same scopes and same camerasso all the pics look identical apart from those who had guide issues on the night, but they are all the same to me they differ some what from each other but a guess lots wouuld buy it and it sounds a good idea

I would like to see these images in a book from SGL's finest.

I would like each image to be accompanied with relevant info. ie, general location of imaging site, capture details, equpment employed in capture, Object's parent constellation, and RA & Dec.

It would increase the interest as a reference work, and not just for the image content.

I would buy such a work, if the price was a fair one.

Ron.

Yes, I would definitely be interested.. but as others have said I'd be much more interested if each picture was accompanied by some detailed info on the shot, equipment used, how it was created, etc and some info on the photographer as well.

Throw in a car sticker, and it's a done deal !! :(:D:D

Archived