Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Screen

Moonshane

Hi all

based on a few robbed ideas from other members (thanks guys) I thought it time to create a 'blackout' observing screen as it's very annoying when neighbours constantly leave lights on in the kitchen etc.

I thought about a drain pipe arrangement but this would prove costly. therefore as I had a washing line in the shed and some cup hooks, I decided that fixing a line from the house wall to the pergola, across the pergola to the other side and then back to the other side of the house would work. I then used some garden weed matting (£17 for a 20m roll from Wicked) and sewed two thicknesses together. through a hole at the top I threaded the washing line with a knotted loop at each end and slid it into position. the effect is dramatic and really helps retain dark adaptation. I need another roll and can blackout virtually the whole of my observing area for a total of about £34.

worked a treat, takes no space and about 2 mins to put up and take down. might add either some weights or guy ropes to prevent blowing in the breeze - modding it already!

not the best pics but you get the idea.

post-17776-13387764834_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877648345_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877648351_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a neighbour who sometimes leaves a grt bright security light on all night! :) Lit up my bedroom until I put nice thick curtains up. It was a problem sometimes when I set my scope up outside on a tripod - I'm hoping my ror will stop the light from getting to my scope in the obsy. Or I might have to do something similar.

We have a neighbour who sometimes leaves a grt bright security light on all night! :icon_scratch: Lit up my bedroom until I put nice thick curtains up. It was a problem sometimes when I set my scope up outside on a tripod - I'm hoping my ror will stop the light from getting to my scope in the obsy. Or I might have to do something similar.

Air rifle?

:)

• 10 months later...

Ummm, did you consider putting the screen around your dob and then observing from under it like "old-time photographers used to do?

That way you can block all the extraneous light from all directions, not just some of it.

I have "created" a portable version. I had an old EQ5 mount and tripod lying about doing nothing, so I removed the counterweights and flexi-control cables, inverted the head so that the weight bar pointed more or less upwards and then jury-rigged a screen. I screwed two tube clips of the size apropriate to the weight bar to a spare oddment of MDF board (21"x14"), and fastened a 4' length of stripwood along one of the 21" sides. The EQ5 is very portable, and I can take the screen out separately and hang a large piece of blackout cloth over it secured with a couple of Bulldog clips. Once outside and erected the arrangement is extremely easy to move about as required, and makes a great difference to my light related problems.

If the wind exceeds 30 MPH however I may soon be the first to launch a mount and tripod into orbit..........

Good setup Shane.

I've bought some huge blackout roller blinds and have drilled hooks into the walls in anticipation of our new neighbours who will most certainly have kids who need upstairs lights on. Washing line is fed through the tube end of the blind and attached to a pole in the garden. The weight of the blind (wooden strip at the bottom fed through a seam seems to prevent it from blowing about.

Ummm, did you consider putting the screen around your dob and then observing from under it like "old-time photographers used to do?

That way you can block all the extraneous light from all directions, not just some of it.

of course, but to me, one of the joys of dobsonian observing is freedom. being inside a cloak is not my idea of freedom and I'd really not enjoy myself. :smiley:

• 3 months later...

Very nicely done Shane :) I have to do something similar to block the street lighting that shines in my garden...

Agreed. )shine - bet you neighbours wonder what they've done to deserve this 'screen' but from experience this is the only way to get the message of local LP across - I like the washingline approach - power and good observing to you :cool:

Let's be honest now Shane, those photos are in fact images of your washing and no story about next door lights in going to convince me! :grin: :grin: :grin: Congratulations mate, great idea though you might want to have a word with FLO to see if you can attach a corporate sponsorship banner to it - you know it makes sense! :grin:

James

• 4 months later...

These days, light pollution is an appalling intrusion into our beautiful hobby. Even in the 1960s there were skywatchers who noticed a problem.

In those far off days, I knew someone with a PRINZ 3-inch refractor who regularly knocked out an offending street corner lamp with his air-rifle. No sooner had the council fixed it than it was knocked out again...and again...and. .

It wasn't me Officer!

These days, light pollution is an appalling intrusion into our beautiful hobby. Even in the 1960s there were skywatchers who noticed a problem.

In those far off days, I knew someone with a PRINZ 3-inch refractor who regularly knocked out an offending street corner lamp with his air-rifle. No sooner had the council fixed it than it was knocked out again...and again...and. .

It wasn't me Officer!

hats of :)

Archived