Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C/2009 P1 Comet Garradd

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck stargazerkelly!! A 12" dob will be great to see the comet.

Have a look as per Andrews previous post for a chart, or find it in Stellarium.

It rises in Saggita at the moment, about .....9ish, give or take, but wait til it climbs a bit higher in the sky..... 10 -11 pm maybe.

Scan the area with a EP of 20mm - 30 mm or higher, to cover a larger area.

I am hoping to snaggle it again this weekend. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Andrew. I'm doubtful it will be clear for the close pass of M71 for me, as we are due to be smashed with hurricane Irene here in New England on Sunday. The clouds should start rolling in early Friday. We shall see. Clear skies to you on pass night!

Perhaps I will be able to get an image tonight (Thursday) after a predicted cold front goes through this afternoon. I'll take anything at this point.

We still have Garradds pass of Brocchi's Cluster (The Coathanger) to pin our hopes on! This should be a binocular/wide field scope. spectacular.

Be well all,

Bill

I got a nice view of Comet Garradd this evening (morning). With 15x70 binoculars the comet was not far from Gamma Vulpecula and in the same field of view as the globular cluster M71. Whilst fainter than M71 (mag 6) I felt Garradd had brightened a little since I last saw it - maybe mag 7 now ?.

Yes I picked it up using my 15x70 binos and thought it was a good view with M71 in the same FOV.

Could not observe for long so I grabbed my William Optics SD66 and the Hyperion zoom and had a closer look. I also thought it was about mag 7.

Mark

That would seem about right for my sighting two nights ago.

Reading all these good reports about the comet, I will have to get out and try and find this large lump of rock:D. Hopefully it will be clear in Wiltshire so I can have a look and promise not to use my GOTO equipment in finding the comet. All I need now is clear skies and looking out of the window at the moment that seems a long way off:mad: Yes, you have guess it lots of clouds with rain? Hope it clears over the weekend so I can get out and try and find it:)

Peter

Reading all these good reports about the comet, I will have to get out and try and find this large lump of rock:D. Hopefully it will be clear in Wiltshire so I can have a look and promise not to use my GOTO equipment in finding the comet. All I need now is clear skies and looking out of the window at the moment that seems a long way off:mad: Yes, you have guess it lots of clouds with rain? Hope it clears over the weekend so I can get out and try and find it:)

Peter

Why should you promise not to use GOTO. If it works, go for it.

Good question Michael, I am mainly a visual observer and friends (AKA Astroninga) who I go out viewing with try to get me to use non GOTO systems once in a while. Every session I try and find at least one (non bright) Messier object with binoculars only. That is what I meant by not using GOTO systems for the view. Once found I might increase the power with a scope and see how it looks through that.

Peter

Good question Michael, I am mainly a visual observer and friends (AKA Astroninga) who I go out viewing with try to get me to use non GOTO systems once in a while. Every session I try and find at least one (non bright) Messier object with binoculars only. That is what I meant by not using GOTO systems for the view. Once found I might increase the power with a scope and see how it looks through that.

Peter

That's a good way to learn the sky. I do without goto mainly because it was way too costly when I bought my scope.

Just managed to spot it through a gap in cloud through my 16x50 bins. Just north of M71. Lousy sky though.

Clouded over now but looking at the MET satellite pic looks like it might clear a little later.

.... Just north of M71......

Just in from seeing the comet & M71 with my 6" F4. At first I was not sure which was which, my light polluted sky and the 6" aperture not resolving stars in M71, just a fuzzy patch.

But after 30 mins, it was obvious which was the comet, the movement against the background stars being easily seen, just north of M71. Very nice to see. Clouds returning however.

Regards, Ed.

Clear at last in south wales - can't believe how close they are it's 23.50 with my 4" and 20mm swa at 35X get close to 2 deg - they must be less than 0.5 deg apart! Just saw meteor flash by in the field just for good measure! Going to have another look.

andrew

Now 0.20 - had a look with 6.7mm 106x took magnification well although no more detail. I would say Garradd a bit brighter - more of a 'stellar' type core than the more diffuse M71 so around mag 7 would be a rough estimate. O'Meara has M71 down as 8.0

Now moved from about 12 to 11 o'clock position - but yes must have been when directly north less than 20' apart!

Hope it will be clear for Bill in stormy New England as would love to see one of his wide scale images.

andrew

Hey guys,

Like a miracle, the clouds from the storm held back long enough for me to image Garradd and M71. Images could be better but I was having, of all times, equipment problems. Caught something though; I'm grateful!

Take care, clear skies. Got to get back to tying down my lawn funiture!!

Bill

Garradd less than 10' 42" away from M71, Sony DSC F-707, 30s, ISO400. 0912hrs. EDT. 25x magnification. 1.5 degree field. Afocal, 40mm EP, Orion 120mm refractor. 8/26/2011.

dsc00017bw.jpg

Enlargement from frame above.

garraddm71encounter0001.jpg

Positive observation made last night.

Fuzz ball faintly visible in my 4.5" scope at 25 magnification. Went to 75 magnification and saw the"fuzzy star"with a hint of a wide tail running back towards delta sagittae. Yeah! Wish I had known it was visible a few nights ago when I was our in dark conditions with make my suburban back yard seem laughable by observation comparison.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Archived