Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C/2009 P1 Comet Garradd

Found it ! Finally got to see it around 1.00am this morning when Pegasus moved out from behind my house. Saw as a fuzzy white blob too, with confirmed movement from second viewing around 3.00am. First comet I've seen, and incredibly satisfying as (for me anyway!) it took a little bit of effort to locate, which made it all the more worthwhile when I eventually did find it.

g0ibi - it was my first view of a Comet too, and the Stellarium code most definitely helped, particularly when used with the ocular plugin.. made it very easy to confirm I was definitely looking at the right object. Sure you'll find it too!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

andrew63 - according to Stellarium it'll be close to M15 around the 2nd and 3rd August. Best time looks to be around 12.30am on morning of the 3rd, when (at least according to the Stellarium ocular plugin..), both should be just about visible in the same FOV... I'm seeing Garrad top right of view, M15 at bottom centre (6SE + TV 24mm Pan). Fingers crossed for clear skies, agree that will be quite a sight !

hi just a quick one i love this comet and its easy to see in the 12" heres a couple a dates to look out for but a et the clouds ruin it for every one

garrand pass`S M15ON THE 2ND AND 3 AUGUST,It then clips sagitia on the 26th,27,28 august a think tuesday and wends are cloud here ut hope you have more luck it always looks slighty greenish to me or is that just my eyes

cheers pat

• 2 weeks later...

just managed to see this with my 6" f11 (if only my 16" f4 was ready!!).

despite the moon doing its best to wash things out after the cloud had blocked the view until the moon was around, it was a clear fuzzy patch and with a distinct ball of gas around it. no colour for me at all with the 6".

hopefully conditions will improve a bit this week and allow me a view with the larger scope.

I managed the comet earlier with the dob from the very light polluted front garden. It was quite easy to spot in a medium-power field but did fade in and out at times. I bet this would look rather nice and bright if the moon was out of the way.

It looked to be nice and compact, probably no more than 10 arc minutes across and condensed at the core.

I'm 99.999% certain that I spotted C/2009 P1 Garradd last night as I was patrolling the Summer Triangle with my 10x42s. I'd earlier estimated where I should look from the link on Heavens above. Afterwards I rechecked and checked Stellarium for any fuzzies that may be confusing me, towit there would appear to be none. Hopefully over the next couple of nights I'll get chance to confirm my sighting

Even though I have posted these images elsewhere on the board, I am posting them here also for those curious how the pass by M15 got on.

Apologies for sub quality focus, noise and field curvature. Everything I do is an "experiment."

Bill

Canon T1i afocal through 120mm refractor, ISO1600, 18mm kit lens.

101 sec. exposure, single frame. Aug. 2, 2011. In both images, eyepiece field is about 1.5 degrees,25x magnification.

0292garraddm15resize.jpg

Sony DSC F-707, ISO400, tungsten WB to counter light pollution.

afocal through 120mm refractor 30 second exposure. single frame.

dsc00116au.jpg

I 'think' I found it again last night, but was distracted by a meteor scooting through the FoV, it looked like I'd just startled a star and it ran off!

Then the sky fugged up too much, so turned my attentions to our galactic core, for which I am ever so pleased.

I also got a look at it last night with a 5" scope - it was easy to find, and it showed up as a little round blob of light. It was quite a slow mover, but I did notice it change position slightly over the course of a few hours. I will definitely take a look with the 10" scope, hopefully tonight.

Hi

Saw this as well last night with 5". As you I saw it as a blob but couldn't make out any tail.

Garradd is looking better all the time! Thank you for the comment about my images resembling what one would see in the eyepiece, as

this is the effect I try to pull across with my meager equipment.

I'm very envious of those who can take the beautiful stacked and processed images and I do have equipment that can do this. However, I am please to no end that a little point and shoot camera can capture a star field with 13th magnitude limit in a single 30 second frame. It is like magic to me.

The little child within likens the round eyepiece field to the porthole of a spaceship, and the adventure begins!

In this last imaging session, Garradd is finally showing some color!

Note: Remember, on Aug. 26, the comet will pass M71 in Sagitta!

Surely a sight to behold (and image)!

Bill

08/20/11, 1042hrs.EDT. Sony DSC F-707, 30 seconds. Afocal through

a 40mm eyepiece, 120mm refractor. Tungsten WB. Magnification=25x.

dsc00147xh.jpg

Enlargement of Comet from frame above.

dsc00147garraddcrop.jpg

Archived