Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C/2009 P1 Comet Garradd

I am fairly sure I can't see it with my bino's, just spent a bit of time night adapting and am reasonably sure I have the right area just to the right of Sagitta but no luck. If tomorrow is still clear I'll drag the scope out.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got it yesterday through my 15x70s for the first time. It really stood out just south of 9 Vulpeculae, and could be framed nicely with the coat hanger. I would put it down as brighter than mag 8. 7.5 sound closer.

Big binoculars are great for Garrard at the moment - it's passing through some lovely star fields :)

Big binoculars are great for Garrard at the moment - it's passing through some lovely star fields :)

Absolutely! It is a great sight, but it was trumped (heavily) by my sighting of SN2011fe in M101. Still very nice to plot its track though. With any luck I will be turning my big scope at the comet next time round.

it's easy - find delphinus, just left of Aquila. then up and right a bit are the brighter stars of Sagitta. put your finder on the right hand side of this constealltion (near the feathers of the arrow) and up/right a little more and the coathanger is to the right of the field.

the comet is currently just left and down a bit from the coathanger.

you'll notice, I am not too good with east west etc.

the above is in a corrected finder. yours maybe be the opposite way round if it's a straight one.

hope this helps and good luck!

I just couldn't find anything in my finderscope, I certainly couldn't see sagitta or delphius with the naked eye which made it hard to pinpoint. I could find them easy enough in the binos though. I don't know, trees are in my way now so I guess I'll try again the next clear night.

Definitely don't give up Pibbles! I've got a 6" scope and incredibly light polluted skies and I can now find it easily. It was a bit tricky to track down at first mainly because I really didn't know what to be looking for. But now I do know I see it straight away.

Last night was probably the worst for light pollution I've had so far this year and it was still visible in my low power piece (24mm), it is now one of my must-see targets every time I go out, I love it!

totally agree. don't give up! have a look at M32 and the comet will be about the same size and slightly more diffuse. if you have a go tonight the coathanger will be right next to it so find this and you should have it in your wide field eyepiece.

is your finder a straight or right angled version? make sure it's properly aligned of course.

Archived