SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C/2009 P1 Comet Garradd

Been wanting to observe this comet, and finally did so in the wee hours of this morning.

Its presently about mag 9.5, and was worried that I wouldnt be able to find it, but didnt have to woryy as it was eeassy!! Quite large, fanshaped blurry area, in Pegasus.

This comet was discovered by Aussie Gordon Garradd, and is predicted to brighten to naked eye visability.

Give it a go, you wont be disappointed. :D

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2009_P1.pdf

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on observing this comet monday morning weather permitting. Will I be able to find it with a pair of 15x70 binoculars? If so what am I looking for visually as this is the first comet I have tried to observe? Thanks

Just reading some latest observations on Cloudy Nights and people are reporting that under dark skies with good aperture, they are detecting two tails. Sounding very promising indeed. I'm hoping it will be clear on the 30th when i'll be at a dark sky site, give this comet a try. But will try from home on Sunday night weather permitting.

Just in from the garden. The comet was not hard to spot at 44x through my 10" Dob, looking like an out of focus star. Best view at 86x. Followed it from 12.20 to 01.00 (BST) Monday 25th, and its movement against the background stars was very apparent. No tail seen from Southend skies. I used the star map in post #1.

Moon & Jupiter rising in the east, off to bed.

Happy hunting, Ed.

Got this too last night in my 16". Quite a distinct pinpoint nucleus surrounded by a roundish hazy ball of light, which in turn faded out to a much dimmer outer coma. Movement against the background stars was obvious during the hour I was on it. No tail seen, although hints of the coma being elongated, but really difficult to tell to be honest.

It was clear about 11pm last night (26th) so decided to view the comet with some 15x70 binos.

I produced a star chart from starrynight pro5 and started the search from Enif. Although I could find the exact position of the comet I could not really detect it. Perhaps I should have placed the binos on the tripod.

Not wishing to get a larger scope out into the garden I grabbed my William Optics SD66 and put on the Ethos 13mm - mag 30x - fov 3 deg 21'. What a difference the comet was very clear.

Difficult to estimate its magnitude but I would have thought about 9 or 10. Anyway good to know its visible in a 66mm frac - it can only get better.

Mark

Funny you should say that Mark. I too tried for the comet on Sunday night with a pair of 15x70 but failed to see it as well. I put it down too light pollution. I didn't try with a bigger scope, wish i had now.

Great to hear a few of you have found it. :)

I will look again on Saturday night at our local observing site, and look forard to seeing it a bit brighter again.

Yes, 2 tails seen easily in images!! Yeah.

Seen tonight in 15 x 70 binoculars - not obvious though. Skytools estimating mag 7.8 but I think fainter. Visible in 8" dob at 80x, not best viewing - hard to discern detail but detected halo around nucleus with averted vision. Need to let it get higher up.

Jon

I had a go at finding this last night in my 6" SCT, but didn't have any luck... I think now reading all your comments it was that I was most likely not looking in quite the right area. Sounds like I should be able to see it though in my scope?

If it's of interest to anyone else, I have just found this in a Cloudy Nights thread.. you can edit the Stellarium solar system objects ini file to add the Comet to the object list: Telescope Reviews: Add Comet C/2009 P1 (Garradd) to Stellarium. I had to change the name from C/2009 P1 (Garradd) to just Garradd before it would work for me though.

I'll be trying again tomorrow night, so fingers crossed I will see it next time.

(presume it's OK linking to another forum... hope it doesn't mean I've gone over to the dark side or anything like that :) )

Just obseved the comet for the first time in the 12" as it has now cleared nearby buildings. Bright central core with fainter outer coma. Must make some kind of sketch to plot movement against nearby stars.

No need to make sketches as movement is obvious after only 30 mins or so.

I also got a look at it last night with a 5" scope - it was easy to find, and it showed up as a little round blob of light. It was quite a slow mover, but I did notice it change position slightly over the course of a few hours. I will definitely take a look with the 10" scope, hopefully tonight.

when I was looking at it, it was very close to a similar magnitude star, so I suppose the motion was more noticable as it drifted past. Further away from the star and it may not have been so obvious.

Archived