Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm new to this, I appreciate advice :-)

Angelika

I am going to purchase an Orion Skyquest XT8 dobsonian telescope in the next month. From all the different articles I have read, it sounds like the best choice for a first telescope. I have been sky watching with my 7 x 50 binocs for a long, long time. I would like some advice from someone who has this telescope, about eye pieces. I've picked a Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm instead of getting a bunch of eye pieces. Is this a good choice? I want to be able to see the rings of Jupiter for instance, will this be possible with the Orion? I am so excited about getting my first scope.

Thanks for any and all advise to the newbie...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Angelika and welcome to SGL.

You have made an excellent choice with the XT8.

The Hyperion is a good zoom giving excellent flexibility in allowing you to tune the magnification to the seeing conditions.

I would also add a good x2 Barlow to the zoom as the 8mm setting will only give x150 which is a little low for the planets.

Once cooled and collimated you will see a lot of planetary detail with this scope. The rings of Saturn, the Cassini division and surface banding will be very easy. Details on Jupiters surface will be visible and you'll see surface markings on Mars and the polar cap. Check out the sketching section to see what can be seen and drawn.

Clear skies.

As well as a Barlow, you might consider a wide field eyepiece, as the Hyperion zoom is a little narrow (to put it mildly) on it's widest setting.

Remember - if zooms were all that were needed, manufacture of other eyepieces would have ceased a long time ago.

HI angelika,

Welcome to SGL.

I want to be able to see the rings of Jupiter for instance

I am assuming you meant to type rings of Saturn. Jupiter's rings are very difficult to see as they are faint and we did not discover them until Voyager did a fly by in 1979. I am not sure there has been an Earth based telescope since then which has seen them.

The Rings of Jupiter

Saturn rings on the other hand are very easy to see with an amateur telescope, although you'll need reasonable magnification.

Good luck with your Dobsonian, they can give some fantastic views, but you have to find and follow objects manually, but makes you learn the night sky thoroughly.

Carole

hi and welcome to the lounge ,great news on the xt8,you will see the rings of saturn and much more i have no advice for the zoom eps but hyperion make good eps in general so that should be fine thanks pat

For a first eyepiece the Hyperion zoom is excellent and imho far better value than an eyepiece set. It's very flexible fulfilling a variety of purposes, is camera friendly (with T-ring and adaptor), and is excellent quality compared to supplied eyepieces.

The Mk2's are a great bargain s/h at around £100 in good condition (if you can find one for sale).

Welcome to SGL :hello2:

Hi Angelika and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on buying a great scope and you will certainly be having fun with this kit. I am assuming you have picked the Hyperion Mk III which is a very good eyepiece of its type. I agree with Jeremy above that magnification is important but so too is a nice wide view, especially when looking at objects like the double cluster or the pleiades where its nice to view them in the context of that part of the sky.

Have fun and hopefully clear skies!

James

Archived