Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wonders of the Solar System

RichardJBartlett

I was just wondering what folks in the UK thought about Wonders of the Solar System and, specifically, Brian Cox.

My wife and I loved the show. We thought he was a great presenter - very natural, very enthusiastic (contagiously so) and a great communicator.

Is he the English Carl Sagan? (He certainly grins a lot like Carl LOL :D)

Any thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Richard,

Wonders of the Solar System was brilliant, due the fact we get very little of such programmes, on Freeview at least, made it so enjoyable.

I believe Brian Cox is now working on a new series, think this time its geared to deep space. I'm looking forward to it already.

Alan

Great presenter Brian Cox. I see him as a potentially very good successor to Sir Patrick when he eventually retires (not that I've written off Sir P by a long shot).

BC's style is relaxed, refreshing, very interesting, and obviosly the knowledge is there in abundance. WOTSS was smashing, though I'd like to see him cover a bit more detail.

Another Carl Sagan? possibly not imho - but Brians got what it takes to bring astronomy to the masses and the techies alike. Looking forward to his future stuff deffinitely :D

Excellent little series, really helped fuel my interest in space and generally was a factor in my decision to get my first scope.

The way he explained all the things he talked about was something my school physics teachers did not/could not do and for me there were some generally awestruck, eureka moments: when he said about the thickness of Saturn's rings being only metres deep, and explaining Mars' 'looping' orbit were eye-opening for someone like me with a burgeoning interest in astronomy.

I certainly think his style makes the subject more accessible to the public but it's just a shame programmes like his come around so infrequently.

And yes he is working on another series which I think is called Wonders of the Universe. He started on it back in May, so fingers crossed it's out soon.

We thought it was a great series. The kids have watched it twice through. And we have a Bluray copy sat in the wardrobe ready for Christmas.

I think BC is a great presenter. Very relaxed and easy to listen too. Would be a great S@N presenter one year.

Really looking forward to Wonders of the Universe in the new year. :D

I thought the whole thing was superb - the effects, the way in which Brian Cox explained things, the music - just brilliant.

Brian Cox and anyone else who can generate that much enthusiasm and interest in subjects like this deserve a massive pat on the back (if not a medal).

I heard somewhere that WOTSS was one of the most popular BBC documentary series ever.

More please BBC!

Brilliant program, really nice guy who takes the time to reply to messages and emails when he has a spare minute. He's doing much to bring astronomy to the foreground in the UK and is a big big fan, as we all know, of Carl Sagan.

He definitely isn't as well rounded as Carl Sagan but tbh, Carl Sagan is a hard act to follow and I doubt there will be anyone like that again any time soon.

This said, he's probably the future of Astropop in the UK :D Which cannot be a bad thing :D

WOTSS got a lot of airtime over here in the US; I think it was on the Science Channel. Typically they'll show the episodes at least twice - once for the east coast and then later for the west coast, so if you miss it, you can record it later :D

I thought it was great. It made a very refreshing change from the standard narrator/expert interviews and pretty graphics.

I especially remember the episode where he's in Oklahoma and he's totally awe-struck by the weather; I had to smile a little wryly because I lived there for three years and, as a fellow-Brit, could totally relate LOL

The thing I find interesting compared to Sagan is that they both have a very genuine and sincere child-like wonder regarding the subject matter. He got a kick out of reading the leaflet about the observatory in the Chilean mountains (the VLT? Can't remember) - especially the warning about seeing stars LOL (because of the lack of oxygen at that altitude)

Hi Richard,

Wonders of the Solar System was brilliant, due the fact we get very little of such programmes, on Freeview at least, made it so enjoyable.

I believe Brian Cox is now working on a new series, think this time its geared to deep space. I'm looking forward to it already.

Alan

Great program i agree with you alan not enough astronomy programmes on tv

loved the solar eclipse in the first ep i think

wish i was there to see that :D

Archived