Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Dutch invasion

Steem

Hello! I'm sorry if this looks like a Dutch Invasion but since "our" forum changed for the worst 2 friends pointed this forum out to me. I haven't looked round that much but according to them this site has a very good atmosphere (no pun intended) and is a lot less chaotic. Not that I can't work with the other one, but there is something like "too much".

So, a little introduction; My name is Steven Lantinga, 25 years old and from Apeldoorn, the Netherlands. My occupation is web programmer (html, css, java, php & msql) and I'm following a 4 year long photography study.

I stumbled along this hobby when I read a newsreport about the Cassini-Huygens mission to Titan in 2005 during my internship. I got hooked, and was constantly looking for Saturn in the night sky while riding my bike! When my internship ended school took op a lot of time again until I graduated in 2006. I then suddenly regained my interest and searched the internet for hubble images, telescopes, wiki's and finally a (Dutch) forum. This got the ball rolling and now I find myself the owner of a 5" f/9.44 and a 5" f/6.44 refractor, a 10" f/5 dobson, a Vixen GP and a Losmandy GM8 with a 12" f/4 OO mirror on the way.

This season I plan on taking more pictures with my Canon 5D mkII and f/70-200 2.8 lens. But primarily my interest goes out to observing and Roel is trying to get me to sketch more. This year I finished my Messier list and I am carefully starting with the H400 list.

I hope I can give my contribution to this forum and have some fun here.

Best regards,

Steven

PS: Steem is my nickname derived from Steven and a countrysides way of pronouncing it (like Staym, not Steam), something we call "plat".

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the SGL Forum Steem, I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

We have a strong International mix, and we all get along just fine.

You mention Roel, is that a friend of yours perhaps.?

The Cassini Huygens programme was very exciting, and the landing on Titan by the Huygens probe was a wonderful feat, and Highly successful.

Of course the Cassini craft is still orbiting Saturn, and providing wonderful Images of the Rings, Saturn, and it's family of moons.

Best Wishes.

Ron.:)

Welcome to SGL... any countryman that supports the wearing of odd hats and wooden shoes get my vote!

Sorry about the World Cup BTW... it was probably because I was supporting you and wearing an orange T-Shirt :)

Cheers

Guy

Hi Steem,

A warm welcome from me to the forum. I agree with you about the good 'atmosphere' on here and of course we do have our very own 'stars' as well - you know who you are!. There are lots of people on here who know lots of stuff, there are also lots of people on here who would like to know lots of stuff, me being one of them. Anything that you can bring to this party is more than welcome, most of us don't bite and are reasonably well house trained (....certainly since the last time I looked). I also believe that there exists on here a genuine sense of community that believes in sharing and does so with a lot of generosity. (.....crikey, I was almost getting out my own hanky there!!!)

Clear skies.

James

Welcome to SGL... any countryman that supports the wearing of odd hats and wooden shoes get my vote!

Sorry about the World Cup BTW... it was probably because I was supporting you and wearing an orange T-Shirt :)

Cheers

Guy

Even my very straight mate thought the Dutch team were dead hunky... Every few minutes he was shouting "Just look at those studs!!!"

A warm welcome to the forum Steem. I have only been a member for a few weeks, but I can confirm it is a caring, sharing community that tries to help everyone achieve the best results possible from whatever equipment they have. Enjoy.

Hi Steem,

A very warm welcome to SGL, if you had tried riding your bike on some of the country roads in this Country, looking for Saturn, you may well have disappeared into some of the pot holes left by last Winter, enjoy the forum and your photography.

John.

Archived