Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 from Kelling Heath

SteveL

The Kelling Heath Autumn Equinox Star party has always been lucky for the weather, and this year was no different. Of the 4 nights I was there, it was clear on 2 of them. Thats more clear nights than I have seen in the previous month!

I do have at least one other image from Kelling that I need to do some extended work on before it sees the light of day, so I started on this one first.

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Borg 77EDII @ f/4.3

Guiding: SW ED80 + SX Lodestar + Maxim

Imaging: Starlight Xpress M25C + MaximDL, 24×600s, Hutech IDAS (101 bias, 101 flats)

Orchestrated: CDD Commander

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: PSCS2 + PixInsight

I know that the camera isnt quite square to the OTA (hence the crop and the slightly larger stars in lower right corner), but thats something to work on at some point in the future.

(Click on image for larger version)

20090920_m31_kelling_800.jpg

Very nice Steve! I love the star colours in this shot.

I thought there was some noise, but after looking at the full size version it was just lots and lots of little stars :o

I really like the 16:9 widescreen format! Might have to make that my monitor background!!!

Looking forward to seeing the other image!

Cheers

Ant

I am equally as speechless now... I have just added a print layer to the PSD (bump the midrange a little, drop the black point a little) and printed this out with a black background onto A4 borderless Kodak super glossy paper, and I cant stop grinning!

I can see myself spending a few nights trying different reprocesses on the original data, just like a did with my M42 from December... or I could actually just walk away and say "its done". Not sure yet.

I think this would be a good time for me to thank everyone on SGL who helps others gain experience, who allow others to progress up the near vertical learning curve, who answer those awkward questions and find answers for those who require them. Without all of you, where would we be, eh?

I`d also like to thank my manager, my various sponsors, my agent... oh... wait...

Archived