Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alyn Wallace

I find it both surreal and heartbreaking to write this.

As some of you may now have seen, the astrophotographer Alyn Wallace has tragically passed away, cruelly early with so much ahead of him.

Alyn was an incredibly talented landscape astrophotographer, pushing forward and popularising the art through his wonderfully produced YouTube videos. He was generous with his time and knowledge, encouraging many (including me) to pick up a camera and give it a go. His epic and beautifully printed book Photographing the Night Sky, published by FotoVue, is encyclopaedic and will be picked up by astrophotographers for years to come. The legacy from his tragically short life will endure for years to come.

Paul

• Like 3
  • Sad 18

That’s shocking to hear, so very sad, especially given his young age. His astrophotography, YouTube channel and book really were an inspiration.

Mike.

• Like 3

So desperately sad.  I don't know what to say.

I've spent many hours under the dark skies of his favoured mid-Wales locations.  The Elan Valley provided a particular kinship, a great sense of connection.

Unbelievable.

Paul

• Like 1

He had such calming presence and joy for sharing knowledge. His videos were truly global inspiration and he will be missed. Tonight we light a candle for a man who brought stars closer to all of us.

PSX_20240329_185608.thumb.jpg.edd77ee963dfe236778c338d6701d10f.jpg

Edited by Dark Raven
  • Like 6

I was only just power watching some of his recent videos last week. He'd been less productive on YouTube since moving the Turkey and he'd slipped off my radar. 

I saw Dylan O'Donnell's youtube message earlier and was blown away :(  

His knowledge and experience will continue to inspire for years to come.

• Like 2

Whilst astro landscaping was never my forte, this didn't stop me from reading and watching his videos with admiration. His passion and knowledge base was truly captivating. RIP Alyn Wallace.

• Like 2

Saddened to hear of Alyn's short time with us and still don't believe it. 

Watched many of his YouTube videos and even though I'm not a photographer always enjoyed his naturally gifted and enthusiastic content.

He will be sadly missed 

• Like 1

Totally shocked by the news! Alyn was an inspiration to me and I loved watching his videos. Very sad. He will be missed very much in the astrophotography world. 😢

Gweld chi yn y ser Alan.

• Like 1

I am shocked at this news, and still trying to process it.

I just want to extend my sincere condolences to Alyn Wallace, his friends here, and his family. Alyn was an inspiration for us, his work will be sorely, sorely missed.

This has shook us immensely here at observerly, we are lost for words. Truly lost for words.

• Like 1

Just seen this here and on You Tube. Total shock. Only watched his comet update last weekend. Very much miss his You Tube videos. 

My sincere condolences to his friends and family

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, murwille said:

Hopefully all of this was a hoax!  Is Alyn Wallace Dead : “Alyn Wallace: Alive or Dead?” – County Local News  I don't know yet what to believe.

I trust any hoaxers are feeling proud of themselves and are happy to have reached their personal peak on the food chain where they will be a happy find for any passing slugs and snails.

Olly

I don't want to believe it but a close friend confirmed it on FB. In this day and age it's hard to believe anything you may read or hear until verified independently.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1