Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do I get my enthusiasm back?

Moonshed

I haven’t got my ‘scope out of the shed this year, apart from a couple of quick looks though the eyepiece back in March, just can’t work up the enthusiasm to do it. I still enjoy reading astronomy articles and looking at the incredible images from JWST and HST etc, but that requires next to no effort. 

I remember back last winter I wanted to try to image the Horsehead Nebula but had left it too late, it was behind the trees, and couldn’t wait to try this year. I wish I still had that enthusiasm! I would love to image it this year, it would be a great image to add to my collection, but at the moment I just can’t be bothered. I do hope I get my mojo back soon, I have always enjoyed astronomy, both visual and photographic, but whenever a good opportunity arises, a clear moonless night and some great DSOs, I can’t be bothered.

I’m sure this must happen to just about all of us at some point and I would love to hear from other members as to how they recovered their enthusiasm. Or is it simply a question of sitting back and waiting?

I found a small fun-size telescope on an undriven alt-az mount helped. Also just going out with a pair of eyes and nothing else and marking the passage of the seasons. Then there is always the New Eyepiece trick to get me outdoors again.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, John said:

I agree with @Ags / Agnes.

Get a small, simple scope that you can simply plonk down outside and look through.

That’s a good point, my 8” Celestron takes a fair bit of effort to lift out of the shed and set up. It was no problem 30 years ago when I first got it, but now I’m a 77 year old great grandad it’s all I can do to get it out of the shed.

• Like 4

Simple naked eye observing can be just as rewarding. As @Ags suggested tieing this in to the passage of the seasons and weather can add to the enjoyment.  With the short days upon us I'm finding my evening walk with the dog can be a good opportunity to pick out some old friends in the night sky.   Other than that I think you are right about just waiting and don't let it upset you; sometimes I think we can put a bit of unwarranted pressure on ourselves re the need to observe at all cost. 

Just a thought, could you move the scope inside, maybe a conservatory even with a limited view of the sky and just take really opportunistic views of whatever is available. Ok not brilliant through a window but you are doing it in comfort with no setup burden. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 4

Another vote here for a small, good quality ED doublet. In my case it's a William Optics ZS73 and requires very little effort to get set up and running, and since the build quality and glass is very good it punches above its weight. 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, saac said:

Just a thought, could you move the scope inside, maybe a conservatory even with a limited view of the sky and just take really opportunistic views of whatever is available. Ok not brilliant through a window but you are doing it in comfort with no setup burden. 

That’s not such a bad idea to be honest if all else fails. What I have done was to purchase last year a TeleGizmos scope cover with the idea of once I have set it up and achieved a good polar alignment of leaving it outside as long as the good weather continued. This was to eliminate having to PA every single time I used it. But as things are it would serve the bonus of being instantly ready to use with no effort required. When I do finally get started again I will definitely do this. A small highly portable scope also sounds very attractive, and Christmas isn’t far away. (Sorry to mention that). 

• Like 2

My last outing was in April. Some weather got in the way in late spring, then the nice weather coincided with light summer nights. Now it's getting dark again, but the weather... It has been terrible lately but I'm beginning to think I'm using the weather as an excuse!

So today I decided I'd have a play with just my DSLR on a tripod, get some wide field shots, maybe. The sky had other ideas but I did blow off the cobwebs and played with Ekos to control the imaging. I'll be honest, as a session it was a total loss but as a few hours under the stars, playing with stuff, well, I'm happy. 

I will get the big toys out soon, no, I will!

• Like 2

You have answered it yourself really; to image the horsehead nebula. Just plan to do this later in the year. If you are not inclined to do much else in the meantime then no loss, but plan to undertake this task, when the time comes, would be something to look forward to and in turn could reignite your enthusiasm. Then if your back garden is a problem for trees, consider where else you could maybe go to set up, it can be refreshing to get out beyond the comforts of your home environment in pursuit of your goal. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

You have answered it yourself really; to image the horsehead nebula. Just plan to do this later in the year. If you are not inclined to do much else in the meantime then no loss, but plan to undertake this task, when the time comes, would be something to look forward to and in turn could reignite your enthusiasm. Then if your back garden is a problem for trees, consider where else you could maybe go to set up, it can be refreshing to get out beyond the comforts of your home environment in pursuit of your goal. 

Thank you, what you say makes a lot of sense. I think I will detail a plan as to how I intend to capture the Horsehead and hopefully when the time comes I will be fired up and ready for it. Easy to say sitting here in the comfort of a warm house and remembering the preparations needed to go outside when the temperature is in the minus region, but I did it before, many times, and I’m sure that determination to capture a good image will return in due course if I don’t  try and force it, a point that @saac made.

• Like 2

Without a permanent place, setting up a big scope on a big mount can be a right royal pain no matter what your age. Unguaranteed clear skies and next day work commitments don't help either so +1 for the above advice. Get a good quality grab n go set up that can be carried out and back in at a moments notice. If I only had the one big scope I would get very little eyepiece time but with my small ED refractors on manual alt-az mounts I'm out at every opportunity.

• Like 3

Another thumbs up for a small ED refractor on say a GTi mount. Easily transportable and would also allow you to continue with AP if you so desire. I think it's the sheer effort involved in setting up a larger scope and EQ mount that has caused you to hit a wall.

• Like 3

In the run up to it, I'd try and get out to work out the kinks in your imaging rig.  You're not going to try and image anything in particular, just to make sure everything works and you know how to use it.  Personally I've found mentally having my goal to be 'a better session than last time' rather than 'image something' works well for morale.

I think all my imaging sessions for the past year have basically been working out kinks or trying out new bits of (cheap) gear.

• Like 2

My issue this year has been the weather is so unsettled. Usually I only setup if the forecast is showing a clear radius for a fair few miles for at least 3-4 hours, experience has shown me setting up in anything less usually means the session is cut short, and this will dampen any enthusiasm.

A smaller setup will help as it's less to and froing with kit, also easy to pick up and bring in if weather doesn't cooperate. But the temptation is always gnawing at you to setup "the big one" to get the good resolution and faster light gathering capability.

I wouldn't worry about trying to finish images within season, I've learnt to accept it's a long game, my IC434 I started two years ago and still isn't anywhere near finishing as are around half a dozen other projects (it's too tempting to switch targets to try something else). Another thing to learn, stick to the course and complete a project until it's physically impossible due to obstruction or elevation, targets will be back next year.

• Like 3

It's quite a serious question as we age. I'm coming up 65 and although I've got two permanent observatories one for solar and one for night it's the solar that gets the most use. Even though the night scope is set up I still have to physically go out in the small hour's to be in the dome. It's not automated and I have to turn it occasionally also the scope isn't set up to control from indoors.  With each passing year I'm now thinking I will eventually need to replace the old pulsar with an automated dome and to control everything from the comfort of my home office. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Like 4

Two things have perked up my enthusiasm for imaging (which hadn't left me but was diminished.)

1) Using an automated rig which means I don't have to be up all night. Running Les Granges, the all nighter had become a lifestyle for about 200 nights a year and it became too much as I headed for seventy.

2) Switching to super-fast F2 systems with CMOS cameras. This lets me capture images which are not just shorter in exposure, but which give a different perspective on objects. In a nutshell we get more faint dust and less emission gas for a refreshing new look. The speed also makes large mosaics very attractive.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 5

I had this a while back. For me it was the hassle of getting kit out. A heavy mount which hurt my back and a scope susceptible to poor seeing.

I sold all that, bought a 4" apo with a lighter mount and the rest is history. I have other scopes now including a 12", but, I don't have to get them out if I don't feel up to it. Put the 4" out and I'm away in seconds.

It's a hobby and supposed to be fun not a chore. Have fun as your aim and you'll be good as new :wink2:

• Like 4

From what you say, you enjoy visual and imaging, and the problem is your setup is heavy and takes a while to set and polar align? Some really good suggestions above, not sure I can add much, but here’s my thoughts on options for when you get a clear night but can’t be bothered:

• Step outside with some good binoculars for ten minutes and enjoy some amazing wide field views - that way you don’t have to beat yourself up for missing a good night and you’ll have a nice warm glow when you get back inside.
  • Get a small scope on a simple manual mount for visual use as mentioned above. I would thoroughly recommend the the Celestron Starsense Explorer mobile phone technology instead of a finder - it makes life SO much easier. I was out with my C8 last night which has an 8x50 RACI finder trying to find some challenging objects - I ended up wishing I had set up the 102ED with Starsense! I can also recommend the Heritage 130P on a photo tripod, as you don’t even need to set up a chair to observe.
  • If you need your imaging fix, the new EAA products like the ZWO SeeStar look incredibly easy to use and good fun. Although imaging capabilities are limited it makes my relatively simple EAA setup (66mm APO, plus CG5 plus ASI air) seem cumbersome and complex.
  • Planning your next sessions can be a good motivator - I enjoy using SkySafari to create observing lists for particular scopes, and I also enjoy sitting at my desk with InterStellarium Atlas and identifying interesting targets. 

Hope that helps a bit. :) 

• Like 1

Well I know there not available much yet but I would consider a seestar 50 , or a Dwarf 2 , both are small and light , put them on a table outside sit indoors and look at the images on your phone or tablet.The Dwarf 2 is readily available now for around £400  seestar £600 . Hope you get back into it soon all the best👍😃

• Like 1

I was in the same position a couple of years ago after having a 200p dob which put me off for a long time due to the size/awkwardness of the scope. Was suggested on here like the others on the post to get a z73. Nearly out every night now when it’s clear , so great to be able to just carry the scope in a bag and the tripod in the other hand! And the scope itself punches well above its weight.

Edited by Olli
  • Like 1

+1 for the seestar. Walking doggy I spotted a gap in the clouds and thought why not. Connected to the seestar indoors, took it out and plonked the thing on the patio table and went for a couple of targets. The 15 - 20 minutes it takes me to setup the normal telescope, I had three pictures in the bag and the clouds were back . Never going to be prize winners but I  am loving it and cant wait to get it going alongside the normal telescope. 

• Like 2