NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I get my enthusiasm back?

Moonshed

Do you want to do planetary and lunar observing with the scope? If so an ED refractor is the way to go. If it isn’t important and you’re more interested in DSOs then the extra light grasp of a short 4” achromat or 5” Newtonian might be a better choice than a 3” ED.

On 01/10/2023 at 14:19, Ricochet said:

Do you want to do planetary and lunar observing with the scope? If so an ED refractor is the way to go. If it isn’t important and you’re more interested in DSOs then the extra light grasp of a short 4” achromat or 5” Newtonian might be a better choice than a 3” ED.

I will be observing the moon, planets and comets, not too bothered about DSOs.

Edited by Moonshed

2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

In that case I would definitely go for an ED refractor.

Yes, it will definitely be a refractor and probably a Skywatcher, maybe 70mm on a simple Alt-az mount. The Skywatcher Mercury 705 AZ3  comes in at £155 on an alt-az mount, seems a good solution.

Edited by Moonshed

Now that I have finally decided what I am going to do, buy a 70mm refractor, all I have to do is sell my gear. That’s the 8” Celestron (circa 1985 but in great condition) the Bresser Exos 2 GOTO mount, Zwo camera, PoleMaster, flipmirror etc. All I intend to keep is the Canon camera, for “normal” use, and my case of EPs and filters that I can use on my new scope.

I will get busy pricing things up, not an easy job. I would love to sell the lot to one buyer at a discount but that’s very unlikely so it’s going to be a lot of bits and pieces unfortunately. It has to all go though and will not only pay for my new scope but supply some much needed extra cash as well.

When ready I will advertise it here. Are there any other good sites I could place it?

Cheers

Keith

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Yes, it will definitely be a refractor and probably a Skywatcher, maybe 70mm on a simple Alt-az mount. The Skywatcher Mercury 705 AZ3  comes in at £155 on an alt-az mount, seems a good solution.

Given the bias towards lunar and planetary, the Skywatcher Mercury 707 might be a better choice. The slower focal ratio should reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations, which will mean better performance. The downside is that the mount doesn’t look as good as the AZ3 that is supplied with the shorter scope.

35 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Now that I have finally decided what I am going to do, buy a 70mm refractor, all I have to do is sell my gear. That’s the 8” Celestron (circa 1985 but in great condition) the Bresser Exos 2 GOTO mount, Zwo camera, PoleMaster, flipmirror etc. All I intend to keep is the Canon camera, for “normal” use, and my case of EPs and filters that I can use on my new scope.

I will get busy pricing things up, not an easy job. I would love to sell the lot to one buyer at a discount but that’s very unlikely so it’s going to be a lot of bits and pieces unfortunately. It has to all go though and will not only pay for my new scope but supply some much needed extra cash as well.

When ready I will advertise it here. Are there any other good sites I could place it?

Cheers

Keith

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/index.php is a good place to sell your old equipment in addition to these forums. However, I would be inclined to keep hold of it for a while in case the new smaller scope reignites your enthusiasm enough that you want to start using your old equipment again.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Given the bias towards lunar and planetary, the Skywatcher Mercury 707 might be a better choice. The slower focal ratio should reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations, which will mean better performance. The downside is that the mount doesn’t look as good as the AZ3 that is supplied with the shorter scope.

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/index.php is a good place to sell your old equipment in addition to these forums. However, I would be inclined to keep hold of it for a while in case the new smaller scope reignites your enthusiasm enough that you want to start using your old equipment again.

I take your point about holding onto my gear until I’m sure I am finished with it but the thing is I am no longer young enough or fit enough to carry all that heavy gear in and out of the moonshed anymore. My health is not good plus at the age of 77 and 2/3rd and one week and 6 hours, 6 mins and ...25 secs , it’s all a bit too much for me, which has played a large part in loosing my enthusiasm. Also I feel it’s only a question of time before I loose my balance while carrying the Celestron in and out of the shed  and reducing the OTA to a pile of junk and seriously damaging my long suffering back. This has nearly happened a number of times, dropping the scope, and hurting my back happens a lot these days. The smaller lightweight and easy to carry and set up new scope will go a long way to getting me observing again, plus I will easily be able to carry it to different locations within my garden when object goes behind trees or houses, something that I cannot currently do and as the trees grow taller my sky is growing smaller. I need to be mobile and able to shift to the front garden at times.

I am now at the point where having finally made my mind up as to the way forward I just want to get it done.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Keith

You may be missing another avenue, smartphone astrophotography! I’m in a fb group that does just that with some great results. 
I have two scopes for fun, the Meade ST80 and a Acuter 60 MAK. Placing the smartphone on them is easy and there’s lots of info online for getting the best from it.

I lost my Astro mojo a while ago and realised I was a prisoner of my equipment, I was surrounded by it! Getting back was asking myself what do I want from this hobby and not what is expected from others. I was playing the game of can I get the same results as the likes of Damian Peach? Buying stuff I wasn’t familiar with, loading up tons of software that started drowning my enthusiasm.

Going back to basics, getting to enjoy binocular viewing and I’m back to wanting to get out there.

I hope you get to enjoy this hobby again, clear skies….one day ..lol.

chaz

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

You may be missing another avenue, smartphone astrophotography! I’m in a fb group that does just that with some great results. 
I have two scopes for fun, the Meade ST80 and a Acuter 60 MAK. Placing the smartphone on them is easy and there’s lots of info online for getting the best from it.

I lost my Astro mojo a while ago and realised I was a prisoner of my equipment, I was surrounded by it! Getting back was asking myself what do I want from this hobby and not what is expected from others. I was playing the game of can I get the same results as the likes of Damian Peach? Buying stuff I wasn’t familiar with, loading up tons of software that started drowning my enthusiasm.

Going back to basics, getting to enjoy binocular viewing and I’m back to wanting to get out there.

I hope you get to enjoy this hobby again, clear skies….one day ..lol.

chaz

Astrophotography is something I started only around 6 years ago although I have been a keen visual astronomer for the last 60 years. Astrophotography was interesting and challenging and I love the images I have collected. However, that all became too much hassle and I have returned to the far more relaxing and enjoyable art of looking through the eyepiece. I have witnessed the rise of astrophotography using a smartphone and have to say the results are impressive, but it’s not for me.

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Keith

• Like 2

I had a similar issue until I bought an observatory in La Palma with the scope under a dome and almost entirely computer controlled. I can do imaging in relative comfort and from inside the house if I want to.

These days I live in LP for half the year, in three month sessions. When in the UK (like now) I have a 25cm Dobsonian which gets no use because I am just as apathetic about observing as before but maintain my interest in astronomy by processing images taken in LP.

Although I am not suggesting that you go out and buy a physical observatory, but have you considered using remote robotic telescopes? You could choose one in the southern hemisphere which would let you observe things to which the likes of me are impossible.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xilman said:

Although I am not suggesting that you go out and buy a physical observatory, but have you considered using remote robotic telescopes?

I appreciate that is a working solution but it’s not something that suits me because I like to put eyeball to eyepiece.

Thank you anyway.

Cheers

Keith

The OP seems solved, but FWIW I was going to suggest a decent tripod, ordinary camera and cable release and try a different sort of photography, maybe some time-lapse or something completely different to ring the changes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JOC said:

The OP seems solved, but FWIW I was going to suggest a decent tripod, ordinary camera and cable release and try a different sort of photography, maybe some time-lapse or something completely different to ring the changes.

I have all the gear needed for that and it is something I intend doing, even started  a new topic about taking pics of star trail around Polaris.

Cheers

Keith

4 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I have all the gear needed for that and it is something I intend doing, even started  a new topic about taking pics of star trail around Polaris.

Cheers

Keith

You might even be able to take some pictures of the moon against earth bound objects and enter the new SGL competition.  I don't often enter the competition, but I have taken some nice pics of the moon like that and am tempted.  Taking more standard photos won't tie you up for hours in the cold, and will still give you something with an attractive result.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JOC said:

You might even be able to take some pictures of the moon against earth bound objects and enter the new SGL competition.  I don't often enter the competition, but I have taken some nice pics of the moon like that and am tempted.  Taking more standard photos won't tie you up for hours in the cold, and will still give you something with an attractive result.

Yes, that does have appeal, not standing around for ages in the dark and cold lol. I like to take photographs but I would never enter any competitions because I am just Mr. Average and some of the guys produce amazing pics. I just do it for my own pleasure, much as I do with my astronomy, never done anything useful, just observed for enjoyment, and you can’t put a price on that.

• Like 2

On 23/09/2023 at 17:18, Moonshed said:

A lot of members are saying the same thing, get a small, portable scope that can be set up in a few minutes. The only problem I have with that is that I have yearned for a bigger aperture scope for years in order to capture those elusive faint galaxies and nebula  and find it difficult to change my way of thinking. But my health is telling me I have to forget that idea now as I do not have the strength to move a big scope around. A small set up is what is required and I’m sure that all of you are right, the ease and speed of use would soon win me over simply because I would be using it more often.

Thanks for the advice, I have a lot to think about.

Not sure if you know I have and am still having serious medical problems including arthritis in my spine and 3 collapsed discs. My Son carries my mount out for me but like you I have always wanted a big scope.

A few months back I picked up a 10" celestron starsense quite a few pounds to shift but I bought some really sturdy wheels which have brakes on them, I can wheel it out and be viewing in minutes I dont tend to do that I roll it out and let it cool down for half an hour.

On occasion I have just rolled it out put the smartphone in and gone ok at the beginning the views are not as good but I am out and viewing objects, if the weather turns takes 2 minutes roll back in.

• Like 3

I have now placed my Celestron and mount up for sale, no turning back now!  I have placed it here of course and on the information given by members also placed it on Astrobuysell.com. 

Can only wait now and see what happens. I found it very difficult to judge what is a fair price as there are so many different prices quoted depending on age and condition, and in some cases I feel the sellers were pushing their luck. The only way to find out is to see if I get any offers, if not I will have to reduce the price. Time will tell, but I want it gone so not bothered about taking an offer.

Looking forward to using a small refractor, the Sky-Watcher Evostar 90/660 AZ Pronto from FLO looks promising, I will probably go for that. Any advice from members regarding this scope would be appreciated.

Cheers

Keith

I will never be the world best "Classical Imager"... Or even the world
best Visual Astronomer. I did pioneer (remote/Watec) EEVA maybe?
My Solar efforts (Solar Frankenscope) a modest source of pride? 😎

I certainly relate to folks with worrying "back problems"!
But then I am FED UP with lacking health care and being
"blamed for everything" for simple getting old... 😏

But, before I give up, Radio Astronomy intrigues... 
The idea of e.g. a "Micro Araceibo" (See image). 😉

I haven't yet sold off my stuff. I am reminded of
the care with which I chose... upgraded stuff etc. 😛

I do feel SAD when Amateur Astronomers "quit"!
Of course, I understand / relate to that as well...
Sometimes wish I had a "Sorcerer's Apprentice"! 😁

Araceibo.jpg.429234c2c19c0e00676f67d5b767f3b3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2023 at 16:50, saac said:

Simple naked eye observing can be just as rewarding. [...]

Just a thought, could you move the scope inside, maybe a conservatory even with a limited view of the sky and just take really opportunistic views of whatever is available. Ok not brilliant through a window but you are doing it in comfort with no setup burden. 

Jim 

I usually wake up well before dawn, so I switched to early morning observing quite awhile ago.  The past few mornings (before the cloudy / rainy weather rolled in) I've been treated to a beautiful alignment of the crescent moon with earthshine, Regulus, and Venus.

When the temperature hits 10° F here and the windchill makes being outside miserable, I observe through my south-facing dining room window.  The views are not as good as being outside, but a t-shirt and lounge pants beats ski pants, parka, woolen watch cap, gloves, heavy boots, and so on.  😁

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

ONE DOOR CLOSES.....

It has taken a while to get to this point, yet here I am. I thank all of you for the sound and very helpful advice you have given me. It seems obvious now that the main problem I had was struggling with a rig that had become too heavy for me, and the solution, that so many of you recommended, was that I sell my heavy gear and buy a lightweight grab and go kit, ideally a small refractor. I looked at a number of ‘scopes but hadn’t settled on any one in particular. So after a lot of careful thought I advertised all my gear for sale, and it has all gone, lock, stock and barrel. It was hard to see the old C8 go, I’ve had it for 32 years and it was the first “serious” ‘scope I had purchased. I was only 45 years old when I bought it from Telescope House back in 1991, and carrying it about was not any sort of a problem then, unlike today. So it’s all gone now and the old Moonshed looks rather bare, just a table and chair left where I would place my laptop for working on APT for my DSO images, and a very old and grubby Philip’s Star Chart pinned on the back wall, oh, and the Bahtinov  mask hanging from a nail on the wall that I’m keeping as a souvenir of my imaging days. No, that’s not a tear running down my cheek, don’t be so blooming daft, it’s just where the wind caught my eye.

AND ANOTHER OPENS.

I decided it would be almost impossible to completely give up astronomy, it’s been a major part of my life and who I am since I got my first ‘scope back in 1961, a 4” reflector, and I  have never been without one since, until now that is. After a lot of thought I decided against buying a new lightweight ‘scope on the basis that even though it solved the lifting problem it didn’t solve the other problem which is I am at the age where I no longer want to go out in the cold and dark to look through a ‘scope at the stars. Yes, I want to stargaze still but with no hassle at all, and the simple answer to that is binoculars. I already own a small pair of binoculars, Canon 10x 30 IS, and often use them to drift through the Milky Way and enjoy observing our galaxy.  However, they are not really large enough now that I will be relying solely on my binoculars for stargazing so I ordered a larger pair that arrived today, Bresser Hunter 10 x 50 wide field, and I am impressed with the quality of them because I wasn’t really expecting a lot considering they only cost £48 delivered. All I need now is a clear sky, okay you can stop laughing now! I have started reading up on what to look for and I am excited at making a new start.

So again a big thank you to all of you that have been so helpful in guiding me towards a satisfactory conclusion. Thank you. I’m back in the game!

Keith

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 9

Good luck with the new binoculars! I find the new mini smart scopes tempting - assuming it can be driven from indoors, the ZWO SeeStar would be a way to keep doing some imaging and EEVA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ags said:

Good luck with the new binoculars! I find the new mini smart scopes tempting - assuming it can be driven from indoors, the ZWO SeeStar would be a way to keep doing some imaging and EEVA.

I am looking forward to using my new binoculars because even my older small bins were pretty good for simply browsing through the Milky Way, I can’t wait so see how it will look through the larger ones. 

Keith

• Like 2

On 02/11/2023 at 14:24, Ags said:

Good luck with the new binoculars! 

I have just come back indoors having spent 15 -20 minutes looking through my new binoculars at the night sky. My goodness it took me back a few years! The sky tonight was particularly clear, no moon and no clouds, the Milky Way easily visible arcing across the sky. The C8 I used to have while a pretty good all rounder had a very small FOV due to its long FL of 2032mm, no such problems tonight! I started with a look at Jupiter and could make out some of its moons, but could only be sure about seeing two of them. After that it was straight over to the Pleiades star cluster, what a little jewel box of sparkling diamonds that is, simply stunning! Then on to the Perseus double cluster, what a delight,  followed by a quick tour round Auriga. After that over to Pegasus and after a couple of star hops managed to find the Andromeda spiral galaxy, but could only see a hazy patch, nothing more, but knowing what was really there made it so much more interesting. I ended up just scanning through the Milky Way and every now and then coming across an interesting fuzzy patch, well it kept a well know astronomer by the name of Messier very busy lol.

That was all, nothing remarkable really, except it filled me with that wonderful feeling of amazement and general well-being you get after looking at the stars. I haven’t felt this good in years. The binoculars were a wise choice and I am so glad I made that decision. Great to be back observing again, and so enjoying it.

Keith

Edited by Moonshed
Typo
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I haven’t felt that good in years. The binoculars were a wise choice and I am so glad I made that decision. Great to be back observing again, and so enjoying it.

That’s the important bit, and glad to hear you’re enjoying it. Nice to see a happy ending. Let’s hope for some more clear skies!

• Like 1