NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I get my enthusiasm back?

Moonshed

Just to throw another option out there….If you intend to keep the current mount and scope, you could also consider something like this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/pillarheq5eq6-1.html to make it easier to set up. Just wheel it out before dark, and done! Couple it with an asiair or other alternative, and you could control it all from inside the house on a tablet or phone.

If the forecast is good for a few days, you could even leave it set up and put your scope cover over it. 

12 hours ago, saac said:

Just a thought, could you move the scope inside, maybe a conservatory even with a limited view of the sky and just take really opportunistic views of whatever is available. Ok not brilliant through a window but you are doing it in comfort with no setup burden. 

This is a good idea. I tried this on last months super moon, due to clouds I couldn’t be bothered setting everything up, and I was having problems finding focus anyway (turns out an evostar 72ed doesn’t have enough travel on the focuser for a 2x Barlow…), so it was more of a test session. I was really surprised with the outcome for a first ever planetary stacked image on the moon. I guess it’s a very bright object, so I’m not sure how this would fare for faint DSO’s, but could be an option if the OP wanted to do lunar imaging. 

But here it is in the spare room…

Tripod, ballhead and manual tracking:

IMG_8306.thumb.jpeg.cf0a35183f861043c07cbbb99b359f95.jpeg121b-30-08-23-AugustBlueSupermoon_Original.thumb.jpeg.00e33bb376ea67628c96e0da931e1ca7.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WolfieGlos said:

This is a good idea. I tried this on last months super moon, due to clouds I couldn’t be bothered setting everything up, and I was having problems finding focus anyway (turns out an evostar 72ed doesn’t have enough travel on the focuser for a 2x Barlow…), so it was more of a test session. I was really surprised with the outcome for a first ever planetary stacked image on the moon. I guess it’s a very bright object, so I’m not sure how this would fare for faint DSO’s, but could be an option if the OP wanted to do lunar imaging. 

I’m surprised that image came out so well, lessons to be learned, I am impressed.

• Like 1

My enthusiasm for astronomy has had some dips over the years, but it has always come back. I agree with others that a small setup that is easy to take outside for short sessions is a great boost and helps you make the most of nights where for whatever reason it’s a hassle to get a big scope set up. My biggest game changers have been a 3” refractor on a manual alt-az mount and a photo tripod, and a pair of binoculars. I did the thing where I ignored all the sensible people advising me to get binoculars, but I was given a present of a pair three years ago and it is honestly one of my favourite pastimes, scanning the sky and ‘discovering’ things. 

I also enjoy armchair astronomy, doing things like reading books and perusing this forum. Maybe try reading Starlight Nights by Leslie Peltier. That book boosts my enthusiasm like nothing else!

Edited by Nicola Fletcher
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

My enthusiasm for astronomy has had some dips over the years, but it has always come back. I agree with others that a small setup that is easy to take outside for short sessions is a great boost and helps you make the most of nights where for whatever reason it’s a hassle to get a big scope set up. My biggest game changers have been a 3” refractor on a manual alt-az mount and a photo tripod, and a pair of binoculars. I did the thing where I ignored all the sensible people advising me to get binoculars, but I was given a present of a pair three years ago and it is honestly one of my favourite pastimes, scanning the sky and ‘discovering’ things. 

I also enjoy armchair astronomy, doing things like reading books and perusing this forum. Maybe try reading Starlight Nights by Leslie Peltier. That book boosts my enthusiasm like nothing else!

I am definitely going to investigate smaller more portable scopes, seems the way forward all things considered.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moonshed said:

I haven’t got my ‘scope out of the shed this year, apart from a couple of quick looks though the eyepiece back in March, just can’t work up the enthusiasm to do it. I still enjoy reading astronomy articles and looking at the incredible images from JWST and HST etc, but that requires next to no effort. 

I remember back last winter I wanted to try to image the Horsehead Nebula but had left it too late, it was behind the trees, and couldn’t wait to try this year. I wish I still had that enthusiasm! I would love to image it this year, it would be a great image to add to my collection, but at the moment I just can’t be bothered. I do hope I get my mojo back soon, I have always enjoyed astronomy, both visual and photographic, but whenever a good opportunity arises, a clear moonless night and some great DSOs, I can’t be bothered.

I’m sure this must happen to just about all of us at some point and I would love to hear from other members as to how they recovered their enthusiasm. Or is it simply a question of sitting back and waiting?

There is nothing wrong with taking a break 👍

I found as I got older that the heavy scope and mount that I had to setup and take down every observing session was putting me off going out.

I have now downsized to a much lighter scope and mount that suits me better and have done much more observing.

I chose a refactor for this as it cools quickly and never needs collimating - it’s just more useable and hassle free.

Food for thought, good luck with your choice whatever you do 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

There is nothing wrong with taking a break 👍

I found as I got older that the heavy scope and mount that I had to setup and take down every observing session was putting me off going out.

I have now downsized to a much lighter scope and mount that suits me better and have done much more observing.

I chose a refactor for this as it cools quickly and never needs collimating - it’s just more useable and hassle free.

Food for thought, good luck with your choice whatever you do 

A lot of members are saying the same thing, get a small, portable scope that can be set up in a few minutes. The only problem I have with that is that I have yearned for a bigger aperture scope for years in order to capture those elusive faint galaxies and nebula  and find it difficult to change my way of thinking. But my health is telling me I have to forget that idea now as I do not have the strength to move a big scope around. A small set up is what is required and I’m sure that all of you are right, the ease and speed of use would soon win me over simply because I would be using it more often.

Thanks for the advice, I have a lot to think about.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I have yearned for a bigger aperture scope for years in order to capture those elusive faint galaxies and nebula

I would say EAA (Eg: Seestar 50) is a good option for the fainter stuff if large aperture are a problem. In theory, I break out the EAA for the springtime galaxies and do visual for the rest of the time. In practice my EAA rig is a bit of a faff and a SeeStar or EvScope or Vaonis would work well I think. 

• Like 2

I can have breaks of 6 months without using the scope. I still read books, watch astro TV programmes etc. I've in very light polluted area and more often than not it's the next star party that gets me draggi g the Scope out again (or a decent comet, well placed planet at opposition etc)

On 22/09/2023 at 22:12, Moonshed said:

I haven’t got my ‘scope out of the shed this year, apart from a couple of quick looks though the eyepiece back in March, just can’t work up the enthusiasm to do it. I still enjoy reading astronomy articles and looking at the incredible images from JWST and HST etc, but that requires next to no effort. 

I remember back last winter I wanted to try to image the Horsehead Nebula but had left it too late, it was behind the trees, and couldn’t wait to try this year. I wish I still had that enthusiasm! I would love to image it this year, it would be a great image to add to my collection, but at the moment I just can’t be bothered. I do hope I get my mojo back soon, I have always enjoyed astronomy, both visual and photographic, but whenever a good opportunity arises, a clear moonless night and some great DSOs, I can’t be bothered.

I’m sure this must happen to just about all of us at some point and I would love to hear from other members as to how they recovered their enthusiasm. Or is it simply a question of sitting back and waiting?

Sometimes it's just nice to put an eyepiece in a scope and enjoy a tour of a few deep sky lollipops visually, and the most aesthetically pleasing views are most often provided by small refractors. So I recon you need a nice little refractor in your arsenal  purely for visual and to top up your mojo. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, uhb1966 said:

For me, just positioning a chair in the evening towards west and watch the stars rising did the trick! Use a chair that can be swept back :)

Definitely this!

My fondest astro memories are of watching the late summer constellations slowly set in an increasingly dark autumn sky. Just my own eyes. The milky way is lost to my home site with light pollution and aging eyes but the constellation are still captivating. Remembering old asterisms and guideposts to the less known Constellation... :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Sometimes it's just nice to put an eyepiece in a scope and enjoy a tour of a few deep sky lollipops visually, and the most aesthetically pleasing views are most often provided by small refractors. So I recon you need a nice little refractor in your arsenal  purely for visual and to top up your mojo. 

Do you have a particular refractor in mind? I have only owned one and that was a cheap 2” Tasco I bought specially to see Halley’s Comet. I don’t have much spare cash to splash out on a quality refractor, a cheap one will have to do for now.

Thanks

Keith

18 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Do you have a particular refractor in mind? I have only owned one and that was a cheap 2” Tasco I bought specially to see Halley’s Comet. I don’t have much spare cash to splash out on a quality refractor, a cheap one will have to do for now.

Thanks

I'd had some pretty large refractors that required a hefty mount, but in 2013 I bought a Skywatcher 80mm Equinox  ED just as a quick grab and go scope for short sessions. Honestly Keith, that little scope was awesome. I remember taking it out for a few minutes before bed one night and found myself still sat on a frosty garden bench over an hour later. I'd been looking at the Moon and Jupiter on that night and was so absorbed by the unexpected high level of detail that the 80mm quickly became my first choice on most clear nights. Obviously a larger aperture would be better on brighter deep sky objects, but even the 80mm gave lovely views of star clusters and brighter nebulae.  The SW 72ED is another scope worth considering, but even a humble achromat such as the SW 102mm or 120mm StarTravel can give beautiful views of star fields and DSO's, and they don't need a big mount. I'd had a bit of a lull in my enthusiasm towards the end of last year, then one evening I decided to set up my 60mm Carton Comet Seeker on my patio and take a look at Mars. You could have knocked me down with a feather as the globe of the planet hung in almost 3D, and its albedo detail was really impressive considering the aperture. So even a 60mm achromat can rekindle the flame of enthusiasm.

This was my 80mm ED80  which was so easy to use and gave great views.

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.jpg.bb91c16dc03ef5acbc694d211f565e73.thumb.jpg.b634d59f93eca036433864fc21e8e053.jpg

Then here's my 72ED which again is quite a performer.

2021-11-2816_36_00.thumb.jpg.9aa94b5c734873c30213915e11fb7497.jpg

And here's the little 60mm Carton that wowed my with its perfect views of Mars.

1672608368981_260295400_2022-04-0815_28_22.jpg.9bcd55aecf4f8dfcee0e08f6e1098a5f.jpg.0a2afd31c8fe560b6bdb0f879261c714.jpgIMG_20230105_125637.thumb.jpg.d4575a95d2f91de73ccd60e7a7d25bca.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

had some pretty large refractors that required a hefty mount, but in 2013 I bought a Skywatcher 80mm Equinox  ED just as a quick grab and go scope for short sessions. Honestly Keith, that little scope was awesome. I remember taking it out for a few minutes before bed one night and found myself still sat on a frosty garden bench over an hour later. I'd been looking at the Moon and Jupiter on that night and was so absorbed by the unexpected high level of detail that the 80mm quickly became my first choice on most clear nights. Obviously a larger aperture would be better on brighter deep sky objects, but even the 80mm gave lovely views of star clusters and brighter nebulae.  The SW 72ED is another scope worth considering, but even a humble achromat such as the SW 102mm or 120mm StarTravel can give beautiful views of star fields and DSO's, and they don't need a big mount. I'd had a bit of a lull in my enthusiasm towards the end of last year, then one evening I decided to set up my 60mm Carton Comet Seeker on my patio and take a look at Mars. You could have knocked me down with a feather as the globe of the planet hung in almost 3D, and its albedo detail was really impressive considering the aperture. So even a 60mm achromat can rekindle the flame of enthusiasm.

You raise a good point about grab and go refractors. I have just looked at the Skywatcher Evolux 62ED for only £325. It looks pretty good and the dovetail bar will, I think, fit my existing mount that currently holds my 8”Celestron. My only concern is that 62mm seems small, but maybe it will be good enough for eyeball viewing of the moon, planets and star clusters.  Your Carton 60mm looks good and you give it a good review and searching through eBay I am so surprised at how cheap some pre-used scopes are, staring around £30! Something I will definitely have to look into but wary of buying what turns out to be worthless rubbish. What do you think?

Cheers

Keith

9 hours ago, Moonshed said:

You raise a good point about grab and go refractors. I have just looked at the Skywatcher Evolux 62ED for only £325. It looks pretty good and the dovetail bar will, I think, fit my existing mount that currently holds my 8”Celestron. My only concern is that 62mm seems small, but maybe it will be good enough for eyeball viewing of the moon, planets and star clusters.  Your Carton 60mm looks good and you give it a good review and searching through eBay I am so surprised at how cheap some pre-used scopes are, staring around £30! Something I will definitely have to look into but wary of buying what turns out to be worthless rubbish. What do you think?

Cheers

Keith

£320 seems a lot for a SW 62mm ED, but it may be that I'm a skinflint. For that kind of money I'm sure you'll be able to find something with a bit more aperture second hand.  It might be an idea to keep an eye on UK Astro Buy & Sell.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

I've been into astronomy since I was 7, and I'm now 52,  I feel your pain and totally understand where you are coming from. However for me my enthusiasm is still very good. But theres a number of things for me that keep me going. Back in 1999 I built my observatory, and I know a lot of people cant do the same, but theres a clear difference between having to set up each clear night, and just firing up the PC and rolling of the roof. Another thing for me is to keep evolving on your hobby, but this can be expensive over time, ie.......new cameras/filters to improve your images/ bigger scopes ect............and again this doesn't mean everyone's the same, but for me this keeps me wanting more.  Everyone is different, but I hope you find your mojo again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

£320 seems a lot for a SW 62mm ED, but it may be that I'm a skinflint. For that kind of money I'm sure you'll be able to find something with a bit more aperture second hand.  It might be an idea to keep an eye on UK Astro Buy & Sell.

I keep looking at  secondhand scopes on eBay and I am surprised how reasonably priced most of them are. I would of course also buy happily from SGL members. I seem to be moving towards buying a used refractor for around £100 - £200, no mount required as I would use my existing one that currently holds my 8” Celestron, which I would sell. I will look at UK Astro Buy & Sell as you have mentioned them. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Keith

EDIT. Just thinking maybe I should buy a mount as well, just a simple non-computerised one as it would be so much lighter to carry about. Also means I could sell my existing mount that cost me £500  8 years ago. Going back to visual only with a lightweight set up that takes next to no time to set up certainly has a lot of appeal, exactly what I need to get my mojo back. Plus visual observing gives so much pleasure and is, after all is said and done, what drew to astronomy in the first place. I moved on to astrophotography only a few years ago and while I love the images I have I must admit I find it can be stressful, so much to get right and do and so much to go wrong, kind of put me off in the end, together with the weight of all the gear and the time it takes to set it up.  Visual is definitely the way forward for me.

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 4

One thing is for sure, if you need to take frequent and extended breaks from AP, the UK weather is perfectly suited to this approach. 
Spare a thought for those pour souls in New Mexico and Spain who feel obliged to set up their kit night after night.

Seriously, if your enthusiasm has waned I wouldn’t let it get you down, find another hobby that sparks your interest and follow that for a while, the Cosmos will still be there if or when you decide to come back, to be enjoyed with as much or as little equipment as you choose to use, when the clouds disappear…☺️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moonshed said:

I keep looking at  secondhand scopes on eBay and I am surprised how reasonably priced most of them are. I would of course also buy happily from SGL members. I seem to be moving towards buying a used refractor for around £100 - £200, no mount required as I would use my existing one that currently holds my 8” Celestron, which I would sell. I will look at UK Astro Buy & Sell as you have mentioned them. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Keith

EDIT. Just thinking maybe I should buy a mount as well, just a simple non-computerised one as it would be so much lighter to carry about. Also means I could sell my existing mount that cost me £500  8 years ago. Going back to visual only with a lightweight set up that takes next to no time to set up certainly has a lot of appeal, exactly what I need to get my mojo back. Plus visual observing gives so much pleasure and is, after all is said and done, what drew to astronomy in the first place. I moved on to astrophotography only a few years ago and while I love the images I have I must admit I find it can be stressful, so much to get right and do and so much to go wrong, kind of put me off in the end, together with the weight of all the gear and the time it takes to set it up.  Visual is definitely the way forward for me.

There's a 70mm Altair ED F6 refractor just popped up in the classifieds. I can't speak for the quality of optics in that specific scope but as previously mentioned my William Optics ZS73 is the same class of scope and I love it. Great WF views (and surprisingly good planetary), and it only requires a small lightweight mount. I personally use a Scopetech Mount Zero primarily for travel, but I'd imagine one of the smaller Skywatcher alt-az options would work very well too. 

• Like 1

This Skywatcher alt/az mount from FLO looks to be very suitable for a 60mm refractor and only costs £179. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-pronto/sky-watcher-az-pronto-alt-azimuth-mount-tripod.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwseSoBhBXEiwA9iZtxkDgj5qm0-qc_bN2UK6OGKf8Pm5u3CBq0qk3NMy4Ay2R7wZG7Of_MRoCD6IQAvD_BwE

If I can get a used 60mm frack for say £150 then the whole package comes in at only £329. Not bad.

38 minutes ago, badhex said:

There's a 70mm Altair ED F6 refractor just popped up in the classifieds. I can't speak for the quality of optics in that specific scope but as previously mentioned my William Optics ZS73 is the same class of scope and I love it. Great WF views (and surprisingly good planetary), and it only requires a small lightweight mount. I personally use a Scopetech Mount Zero primarily for travel, but I'd imagine one of the smaller Skywatcher alt-az options would work very well too. 

I've had 3 Altair scopes. Absolutely no problems with the quality, they're as good as the TS and WO equivalent. I've always regretted selling 1 scope and that was an Altair 70 EDQR quad. 

• Like 2

I have an Altair 70mm ED travel scope - I think it was the model before the one advertised on here ?

Nice little scope. I use it on a Slik photo tripod and a TS alt-az mount for a very "grab and go" outfit weighing less than 10 lbs all up. A one handed carry outside. It shows a little CA on the brightest targets but the objective is well corrected so it gets very close to the limits for the aperture in performance.

To some extent that scope has helped me over a period of reduced enthusiasm for astronomy as well 🙂

• Like 2

Been browsing the Internet and found this Skywatcher Mercury-705,  70mm refractor with alt-az mount for only £159

https://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes-sky-watcher-refractors/mercury-705.html

It seems okay but do any members have any experience of it? 

Cheers

Keith

EDIT. Found this, same scope for £155 but from Rother Valley Optics whom I have purchased goods from for  many years without complaint.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-mercury-705-az3-telescope.html

Edited by Moonshed

2 hours ago, Moonshed said:

Been browsing the Internet and found this Skywatcher Mercury-705,  70mm refractor with alt-az mount for only £159

https://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes-sky-watcher-refractors/mercury-705.html

It seems okay but do any members have any experience of it? 

Cheers

Keith

EDIT. Found this, same scope for £155 but from Rother Valley Optics whom I have purchased goods from for  many years without complaint.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-mercury-705-az3-telescope.html

Just a thought, but since you're planning to potentially recoup money from your existing kit, perhaps it would make sense to go with a small but high quality refractor? I haven't used the mercury so I can't comment specifically on that scope, however it looks of the same sort of build quality as a lot of the low end Synta scopes.

That's not to say it will be bad, I have a 70mm Celestron Travelscope which is very similar in build quality - quite good for the money. That said, the mercury definitely will not be as good as some of the other small refractors mentioned above, such as the Altair. You also won't have those nice extra quality of life touches like compression ring, standard finder show fitting, solid 2" dual speed focuser etc. Whilst they certainly aren't required to have a good experience, in the longer term you might find them annoying enough to put you off using the scope, and end up back where you started. 

If I were you, I would genuinely consider getting a small, good quality ED doublet like the altair or similar. It's not a lot more, but the quality is an order of magnitude better, in my opinion. 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1