Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How useful are small Observatory Domes?

Gfamily

I know somewhere that has a small plastic observatory dome that isn't in use, and might be available if someone can take it away. 

I don't know the size or the state it's in, but I'd be interested to know whether people actually find them useful - or is the space inside too limited to make for easy use? 

Anyone here with experience of a small dome, and what's your view?

24 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Not sure what you mean by small, but my Pulsar 2.1 m dome transformed my observing when I installed it 18 years ago. It houses my C11.

At present, I don't know what I mean by 'small' either - I may get to see it sometime in the next week or so.

It's described as 'smaller than this' -->image.png.a0059610dc0f1c1c8bef1b11fda44e80.png but we'll see.

36 minutes ago, Merlin said:

I personally find domed observatories aesthetically pleasing.

I personally would be concerned that they also signal "interesting and expensive contents inside" to passing rogues and thieves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

I personally would be concerned that they also signal "interesting and expensive contents inside" to passing rogues and thieves.

I totally, 100% hear what you are saying but this should absolutely not stop someone doing what they love, well not unless it affects others of course but you know what I mean... 

I have home built 2 x 2 metre RoR. Looks like an 'odd' garden shed. This is my 3rd obsy (due to moving house a few times) and each has made observing/imaging sessions so much easier and quicker to get going and more shielded from wind while your out there.

Wouldn't be without one.

• Like 1

I think they look great, particularly in a nice garden.

Practically  I should think they help with not having to lug heavy gear in and out of the house.

To that end I think people who have got them do loads more observing.

wish I had one and a bigger garden to put it in.😁

I’d get it if it’s available, nothing to lose?

Think of it this way. A a minimum, it keeps your gear protected from the elements, and ready for use. That means you will use it more often because you don’t have to lug everything out at night when it is clear and then take it all back inside when it clouds over 15 mins later. you also don’t have align everything every time

From my own experience, I needed to be convinced I would have a good long stretch of clear skies before it was worth the hassle, so I turned down a lot of opportunities. An observatory, of any kind, is a game changer.

if you are doing visual, you obviously need to be in the observatory with the scope, but if astrophotography, you can be outside the obsy and still control everything.

so as long as your rig will fit in it, you will find a benefit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I think most non-Astronomers have no idea what the dome contains,
Lots of plastic structures in the wild that hold electrics etc. 

indeed. Most ppl think my green dome is some sort of above ground septic tank. What better deterrent? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

indeed. Most ppl think my green dome is some sort of above ground septic tank. What better deterrent? 🤣

I had thought that, but held back 😉
The other thought is we are very keen glass recyclers..... hang on a minute, some of us are.

• Haha 1

On 27/10/2022 at 12:27, Gfamily said:

At present, I don't know what I mean by 'small' either - I may get to see it sometime in the next week or so.

It's described as 'smaller than this' -->image.png.a0059610dc0f1c1c8bef1b11fda44e80.png but we'll see.

Maybe it's just me, but that looks more like observing from a hot tub!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a roll off obsy (hexagonal summer house conversion) so not speaking with experience about a dome in particular.  I would think that the size of any obsy would only be a concern depending on your intended use. For example if you are looking to do visual work then clearly you need space to fit inside and move around. However if you are using it solely for astro photography then a small obsy is not really a concern.  Some of the smartest looking obsys I've seen on here are of the micro style  where they are just big enough to hold an imaging rig and no more.   So really depends on how you intend on using it I guess. 

Jim 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 12:27, Gfamily said:

Any update on this ? Did you take any photos or ??

Edited by Akula

34 minutes ago, Akula said:

Any update on this ? Did you take any photos or ??

It's on a site to which I don't have automatic access. My contact was going to see if they could get out some time to take photos - but they have work to do, so it depends on time being free. 

• Like 1

My green Pulsar 2.2m dome was purchased second hand and it is the best piece of Astro kit I have by far. With the substantial rig I have inside means I struggle to move around in there but then I’m a 100% imager so it’s not a problem.

Does it shout ‘expensive kit inside’? Maybe, but it has a sophisticated alarm system and non Astro minded folks who have seen it have described it has an oversized heating oil tank, portaloo or bottle bank. Having set up and took down every session for 5 years before I retired I wouldn’t be without it now.