Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MASSIVE SUNSPOT AR2936 NEAR CENTRE OF DISC - GREAT IN WL AND HA

paulastro

29 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Hopefully will have moved around enough by tomorrow to get a better idea. 🙏🏼

Pretty sure it’s part of the same AR. The other one has two smaller spots following it as well.

I've setup and we've all seen it.  In my obviously upside down view of the sun it's appearing in the sort of 6-7 O'Clock position in from the edge - like a shaking of ink in an untidy pattern.  In my view I am also getting a single dot in the 11 O'clock position close the edge.  Interesting - the first time the disc has ever been more than plain yellow when I've looked at it.  First time the Scope's been out in over a year too!  I get just about the whole sun in with the Baader 14mm - and can get a good close look up to around Baader 6.5mm, but it's nice around 9mm and 12mm.  Now I know why I prefer looking at sun, it's still damn cold out there, but warmer than watching the stars!!  Though as I've got the scope out now I might have a peek at the stars later too.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JOC said:

I've setup and we've all seen it.  In my obviously upside down view of the sun it's appearing in the sort of 6-7 O'Clock position in from the edge - like a shaking of ink in an untidy pattern.  In my view I am also getting a single dot in the 11 O'clock position close the edge.  Interesting - the first time the disc has ever been more than plain yellow when I've looked at it.  First time the Scope's been out in over a year too!  I get just about the whole sun in with the Baader 14mm - and can get a good close look up to around Baader 6.5mm, but it's nice around 9mm and 12mm.  Now I know why I prefer looking at sun, it's still damn cold out there, but warmer than watching the stars!!  Though as I've got the scope out now I might have a peek at the stars later too.

Glad you saw it. Can you see the ones circles in this image? There are two new active regions right on the edge, and a small smattering of dots in the circle on the disk which is another AR. Plenty going on. Not sure if you can see the faculae in your scope, bright wiggly lines around the ARs near the limb.

738552A5-5A2B-4816-8E96-9ADF26A61226.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can you see the ones circles in this image?

Exciting - yes, with them pointed out I've found all those @Stu 😄  Missed the picture of my life too - about 5 mins ago I tried to take a photo and the camera ran out battery so I ran it in and its on charge, but as I was looking at those new sun spots an airplane flew right across the middle of the face of the sun as I watched - woosh!! and left a huge trail behind across the face of the sun - if only I'd have had the camera still attached - mind you it went so quickly I reckon I'd have missed it!

NB.  Thanks also for turning the photo upside down it made finding them a lot easier!

Edited by JOC
  • Like 1

Despite passing through clouds, (and some chromatic aberration), here is my contribution...

473365996_IMG_1207(2).thumb.jpg.0f85f50c5a92ba555335dab236adfdff.jpg
note: North is up - East is left.

Full disc image of the Sun showing AR2396 taken with my iPhone 12 handheld over the eyepiece at 13:47GMT/UTC today.

Equipment used: TeleVue Ranger, Lunt solar/Herschel wedge, AstroBoot 18mm WA e/p - I did not use my Baader solar continuum or single polarising filters.

Edited in MS-Photos app to convert from .HEIC to .JPG and no other processing apps/tools used.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

The weather forecast was correct!

Here's a single frame taken this morning with the Tecnosky 102ED and Olympus at 9.40 this morning.  It also showsthe new spot coming round the limb.

1119499877_P1300814AR2936.thumb.jpg.28a6768d18ded43677e6998d9fb4af1f.jpg

1731996583_P1300814AR2936crop.jpg.44e9466a7ce81cc53df0605969af9d5f.jpg

Great shots Paul. You’ve got the second new AR too, nice one.

Done for the day here, best views were definitely this morning, the seeing was very nice then.

EC6FB0B5-080D-468D-8E77-3C0B4A5F8E69.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Great shots Paul. You’ve got the second new AR too, nice one.

Done for the day here, best views were definitely this morning, the seeing was very nice then.

EC6FB0B5-080D-468D-8E77-3C0B4A5F8E69.jpeg

Many thanks Stu, I hadn't noticed the second one 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

That's my contribution from my 8" Dob. Seeing was really nice today.

image.png.e59c760095b91497b03261ff607af0bf.png

Great shot Kon, the seeing was very good today, some excellent detail on show and you’ve caught it very well 👍

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JAC51 said:

Here are my efforts at drawing the main group.  Tak FS60CB, Baader Herschel Prism with Continuum filter, 12mm & 8 mm Brandon and 9mm Morpheus. 

Sunspots30012022 Small..jpg

Nice ones @JAC51. I did think about sketching but it was very complex so didn’t even know where to start!

Was a bit wobbly this morning but when it steadied had great views of all the spots. Tremendous detail on the big group. The Tecnosky 125 and Lacerta wedge are giving me the best white light views I’ve ever had. Proving to be the perfect combo. 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1