Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MASSIVE SUNSPOT AR2936 NEAR CENTRE OF DISC - GREAT IN WL AND HA

paulastro

Could I see the sun spot with a filter made from standard Baader Solar film and a home-made filter on my telescope?  I never know what you can and can't see with a home-made filter.

13 minutes ago, JOC said:

Could I see the sun spot with a filter made from standard Baader Solar film and a home-made filter on my telescope?  I never know what you can and can't see with a home-made filter.

A home made, full aperture filter made from Baader AstroSolar film will certainly allow you to see it. Normal precautions apply; make sure it can’t fall off, and check for holes before using it.

@paulastro  it’s certainly a big’un isn’t it? I managed a fairly brief look this morning; seeing not very good at all but the occasional sharp view. Forecast not looking great tomorrow so glad I saw it today. This is a handheld smartphone shot through my binoviewer, actually a frame from a video clip.

1DBDDFCE-6D18-4B67-82EF-E9F6EB115115.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JOC said:

Yes you certainly will see it.  To be clear, the Baader filter must cover the lens of the telescope if you have a refractor, or if a reflector it must cover the open end of the telescope opposite the end where the mirror is.  IT MUST BE ABSOLUTELY SECURE SO IT WILL NOT  BECOME DETACHED, EG BY THE WIND.  If you do this you can then look through the eyepiece as usual.

DO NOT look through the finder to locate the sun.  The best way is to use the shadow of the telescope on the ground to centre it on the sun.

Ask more questions if you are unsure EXACTLY what you need to do.  If in doubt do not proceed.

IF YOU LOOK AT THE SUN WITHOUT THE FILTER COVERING THE APERTURE OF THE TELESCOPE IT COULD RESULT IN BLINDNESS  !!!!!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

A home made, full aperture filter made from Baader AstroSolar film will certainly allow you to see it. Normal precautions apply; make sure it can’t fall off, and check for holes before using it.

Sorry Stu, didn't see your posts before I responded.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

@paulastro  it’s certainly a big’un isn’t it? I managed a fairly brief look this morning; seeing not very good at all but the occasional sharp view. Forecast not looking great tomorrow so glad I saw it today.

1DBDDFCE-6D18-4B67-82EF-E9F6EB115115.jpeg

Looks fabulous Stu, I'm jealous 😄.  I actually have a couple of hours of clear sun forecast for tomorrow morning, and we all know what that means 😁.

3 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Looks fabulous Stu, I'm jealous 😄.  I actually have a couple of hours of clear sun forecast for tomorrow morning, and we all know what that means 😁.

Oh shame, I assumed you had managed to see it Paul. Fingers crossed for you tomorrow. I’ll keep the little scope handy just in case I get a break.

• Like 1

@stu & @paulastro  Thanks both, yes, I've viewed the sun safely with the filter previously, but it never hurts to repeat the advice for novice users.  My solar filter covers the whole apperture, and I have a shadow finder.  I also have a series of holes around my filter that I pass short bungee cords through to stop it blowing off and I always check the filter prior to use.

It's just that I know a lot of stuff you can't see with this sort of film and thus I never know what it's worth trying to take a look at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JOC said:

@stu & @paulastro  Thanks both, yes, I've viewed the sun safely with the filter previously, but it never hurts to repeat the advice for novice users.  My solar filter covers the whole apperture, and I have a shadow finder.  I also have a series of holes around my filter that I pass short bungee cords through to stop it blowing off and I always check the filter prior to use.

It's just that I know a lot of stuff you can't see with this sort of film and thus I never know what it's worth trying to take a look at.

This active region is pretty big so you will certainly see it clearly. Solar film is actually pretty good so you should see most of the ARs around, plus potentially granulation and faculae. Well worth a look if you get some clear sky, but like planetary and lunar observing, seeing conditions make a big difference to the detail which you can see.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Oh shame, I assumed you had managed to see it Paul. Fingers crossed for you tomorrow. I’ll keep the little scope handy just in case I get a break.

Thanks Stu.  No, I didn't know about it until today just before I posted the 'heads up'. It was cloudy most of the day anyway.  I'll be ready to rock and roll when the sun peaks out 😊.

After seeing the heads-up I thought about giving it a try, but we had high winds all day so I didn't chance rolling the roof back.

But just for giggles I took the 8" filter I made and just looked through it. 

I actually believe I could see it naked eye. Better with averted vision after looking for a few seconds.

Stunning views here today. The seeing is much better this morning so I went to grab the FC100DC, we’ll worth it. There is so much detail to be seen, petal like penumbra, spikey umbra, streaks and spots and all sorts. There is a small group of spots to the east of 12936, and two more ARs just coming around the corner. Amazing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Agreed @Stuthe view of AR2936 is stunning and as you say a new unnumbered spot is coming onto the surface.

There are actually two new ARs Mark if you have another look. 12938 is showing as a small spot group too.

0C53BE1F-5AA6-43D6-8916-8D5F97D1F3EB.jpeg

16 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Looks like three new spots on the limb. Here’s an image just downloaded from Solar Monitor that shows the upper spot is actually two.

3D7272A7-445B-42E3-BED5-0EE55CF9AA17.jpeg

Yes, saw that earlier but assume they are part of the same AR.