Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MASSIVE SUNSPOT AR2936 NEAR CENTRE OF DISC - GREAT IN WL AND HA

paulastro

Oh, you mean this one?

946953013_30_01_2215_371.25xmono16.jpg.98e97024ae50fd06c0e7c8b5ae36623f.jpg

The seeing was so soft [again] that I couldn't focus properly [again.]
I was so desperate to get an image I removed the internal [camera protection] filters and the usual GPC on the camera nose.
Naturally I left the full aperture Baader D-ERF in place.

• Like 2

I managed about 10 mins on it today, mainly through a layer of cloud but for a couple of mins with clear sky. The AR has changed a fair bit since yesterday, still very impressive. The two new ARs, 12940 and the as yet unnamed one are building nicely, multiple spots in each with plenty of faculae around. The joy of being able to carry the scope out, observe briefly then bring it all in again.

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads up - got a quick look in yesterday morning with a Prinz 330 60mm f11.8 & snapped the disc with my iPhone, view was much sharper in the EP with some nice detail. 
This thing must be HUGE! How big do you reckon this is compared to Jupiter etc? 

DD9F2BCC-74D9-4A68-8B0C-289C4605A22A.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, SuburbanMak said:

This thing must be HUGE! How big do you reckon this is compared to Jupiter etc? 

I saw a calculation somewhere that it is nine Earth diameters long. Given that the Sun is around 110 Earth diameters across, it seems about right. I think Jupiter is about 11 Earth diameters across, so it’s just a little less than Jupiter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

I saw a calculation somewhere that it is nine Earth diameters long. Given that the Sun is around 110 Earth diameters across, it seems about right. I think Jupiter is about 11 Earth diameters across, so it’s just a little less than Jupiter.

Thanks @Stu - that is incredible scale. 

Like many I managed to get a look in around midday and the cloud rushed past making it virually impossible to stay focused, I managed just one image 

Very active in that region and a joy to see such activity as it has been pants for ages 

Roll on summer when its a liitle higher and not just above the roof line 

Rich 

30-1-2022 SOL12-18 AR2936.jpg

• Like 10