Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JWST Countdown To Terror 😳

kirkster501

58 minutes ago, Adam J said:

@Sunshine i see you are confused, the resolution in terms of arcseconds has not improved because the wavelength of the light is much longer WEB being a IR observatory and not a visible light observatory. Also I must assume that the pixel size is larger to account for longer wavelength IR detectors. 

Adam

Yes! I uhhm knew that, yup knew it 😂

18 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Just saw this comparison of imaging surveys on Twitter. We are going to get so much fantastic data from JWST. What an astonishing achievement.

4444A10A-C079-4441-A703-9D4D2EDF0A08.jpeg

Fantastic. So JWST has probably identified some new galaxies without even trying?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Judging by the spectacular  “engineering” image, I can’t wait until we start to get some true images. 
The number of remote galaxies in the engineering image is spectacular. Maybe The Universe could be very differently understood in only a year from now.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what instrument commissioning entails : o
This telescope literally made science with its first published image (of space), before the alignments were even remotely complete. Who knows what it's going to tell us in these next few weeks!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, pipnina said:

I wonder what instrument commissioning entails : o
This telescope literally made science with its first published image (of space), before the alignments were even remotely complete. Who knows what it's going to tell us in these next few weeks!

I'm guessing there's no fanfare about it, more like nasa saying "ok you science folks can borrow it now" lol

There's such a pioneering vibe about this thing. These tasters are just incredible! I read that their contrast is actually diffraction limited, exceeding even the highest expectations. It really feels now like it is out there ready to cast eyes to the edge of the actual observable universe. What are we going to discover 😳

• Like 2

On 29/04/2022 at 10:38, Dave Lloyd said:

I don't think they will. They haven't even sent me my HST yet. 

I think there's one coming up shortly in the For Sale section. Collection only I'm afraid!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Mirror segment hit by micrometeorite, larger than any they modelled...

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/06/08/webb-engineered-to-endure-micrometeoroid-impacts/

From the article:

Furthermore, Webb’s capability to sense and adjust mirror positions enables partial correction for the result of impacts. By adjusting the position of the affected segment, engineers can cancel out a portion of the distortion. This minimizes the effect of any impact, although not all of the degradation can be cancelled out this way. Engineers have already performed a first such adjustment for the recently affected segment C3, and additional planned mirror adjustments will continue to fine tune this correction. These steps will be repeated when needed in response to future events as part of the monitoring and maintenance of the telescope throughout the mission.

This is what came to my mind too, the mirrors can be bent back to shape or in a worst case scenario maybe pointed completely off-axis to take the damaged segment out of play? That will produce a missing piece in the telescope and some diffraction problems but the mission will still go on without much of a problem, after all the probe could have lost both of the side wings and still have a mission left. Lets hope some 50km/s spacepebble doesn't torpedo some electrical components or something else that can ruin the mission...

Very few micrometeor impacts have been recorded for probes overall, JWST being the biggest of them will of course make them a bit more likely but its still very unlikely that a rock will turn Webb into space junk!

According to the article on BBC News, it has already been hit 5 times, this latest impact being the most significant. If it keeps this hit rate up it will look like a “Welcome to Texas” sign in no time…

• Haha 4

Here’s a question for imagers, will image data taken by JWST be of any use to amateurs? like how data from Hubble can be experimented with by amateurs. Or will it require software that just isn’t available for us as it is an IR observatory.

I suppose if the data is made available as a visual representation of light and colour then it can be manipulated by existing processing software, but I note that the test images released to date have been essentially monochrome (shades of red?).

• Like 1