Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JWST Countdown To Terror 😳

kirkster501

Looking at the live progress all but two of the mirrors seem to have moved from their stowed position. Two of them are still in stowed position, I wonder if there is an issue with these two.

Edited by Sunshine

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Looking at the live progress all but two of the mirrors seem to have moved from their stowed position. Two of them are still in stowed position, I wonder if there is an issue with these two.

821875557_ScreenShot2022-01-15at16_52_46.png.f1fd8d0239a0f7cf8039e20a986db637.png
https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html?units=metric

Looks like it's the expected behaviour.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tomato said:

It’s good they have a freeze point on these projects, Β otherwise they will just keep waiting for cheap kit to come out of China.☺️

JWST loaded with kit ordered on AliExpress.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2022 at 16:53, GrumpiusMaximus said:

The tweets from Mark McCaughrean are saying that those two were moved separately because it was identified that they had defective sensors (each mirror has two sensors, but for these two mirrors only one was working).Β 

They'd known this for a long time, but they had tested the mirror movement many times and knew there wasn't a problem, but they wanted to keep their movement separate to the others.

Interesting that sending it up with known defective sensors was considered preferable to replacing them.Β 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gfamily said:

The tweets from Mark McCaughrean are saying that those two were moved separately because it was identified that they had defective sensors (each mirror has two sensors, but for these two mirrors only one was working).Β 

They'd known this for a long time, but they had tested the mirror movement many times and knew there wasn't a problem, but they wanted to keep their movement separate to the others.

Interesting that sending it up with known defective sensors was considered preferable to replacing them.Β 

A known known rather than a known unknown, I suppose.

Extra fuel, extra life , you wait, it will all be for nothing when Mr Musk decides to park a space based reflector, advertising board, "bring wifi to the solar system sat" at L2. :(Β 

JimΒ 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, gilesco said:

I am absolutely staggered by the amount of science lined up and queueing to use this telescope:

Β 

https://www.stsci.edu/jwst/science-execution/approved-programs/cycle-1-go

Β 

Yes. I've friends with professional interests, one a PI on that list. A very nervous Christmas! I'm not sure if I should be jealous - the reliance on one sensor for years of work is anathema to my work. ;)

NASA TV

NASA to Discuss Webb’s Arrival at Final Destination, Next Steps

Scientists and engineers operating NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope will answer questions about the mission’s latest milestones in a NASA Science Live broadcast at 3 p.m. EST Monday, Jan. 24, followed by a media teleconference at 4 p.m.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-discuss-webb-s-arrival-at-final-destination-next-steps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

Amazing, all quite easy really, what were they worried about? πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ🀣🀣

Sometimes I wonder what was trickier, getting Webb to where it is unfolded or landing Perseverance on Mars by way of a powered landing.

Edited by Sunshine