Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Found the perfect red dot finder

Found the perfect red dot finder. Hate the talrad, they are big, chucky, and ugly. The foot print is to big.

So found something better. Was looking on ebay and came across, red dot finders with a laser on the side.

Ideal for astronomy use, do t want to bend down, use laser to get you in the area, or red dot if you prefer. Gives the best of both worlds. Getting the red dot with green laser.

Just watch out, some lasers are adjustable and some not. The one I am getting has 3 screws which can adjust laser1428619447_Screenshot_20211127-162056_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d7e009efd76e7764cf4e55a73b38916b.jpg

Just be aware that you have to be very careful in using a laser. If you live anywhere near an airport don’t use it as if you accidentally hit an aircraft the police may be paying you a visit.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

I recommend the Baader Skysurfer III - works well, looks smart and has not gone wrong yet (unlike the basic red-dot kit finders and the more expensive Celestron I tried).  Red dot finders will let you correct a wide misalignment, so complement optical finders well. I have never seen the point of using a laser.

The guy is a bit crazy but he knows his stuff when it comes to lasers, so just gonna drop this here:

If you value your eyesight, you should never even consider using an Ebay laser of unknown origins however small and weak it seems.

I have a red dot which is good for star hopping, accurately collimated with the camera. It needs dark skies to work well 

I also have the Rigel Qwickfinder which is slightly better with regard to visibility/sighting

I use the metal bodied finder, much like the one you are thinking of but without the laser: https://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-Deluxe-Multi-Reticle-Red-Dot-Finderscope-Metal-Body-RED-GREEN-LED-wide-base?search=red dot

I have found it reliable and stable, better than the cheap plastic bodied affairs.

I'd be very wary of using a laser. Even if you're not near an airport there are many planes in the sky, and not all at high altitude, at least around here. Furthermore, cheapo lasers of unknown origin often do not comply with regulations and their outputs can be significantly higher (and lower) than their specification. You need to be very wary of getting into that realm, in my opinion.

Ian

I don’t really get why you would need a laser. I understand their use at outreach events, showing people around the sky. That can be safe because the user is concentrating totally on where it is being pointed and can be moved instantly and safely. On a scope that is not the case and could easily be pointed at a plane without the user realising. Also, they serve no purpose, a RACI will get you in the area just as efficiently 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And on the subject of lasers has anyone actually seen one of these? OK for outreach use I suppose but seems to be little interest in the UK.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-starwand.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9rTGr7HM9AIVl-3tCh2rUgL6EAQYAyABEgLRXPD_BwE

Edited by johninderby

I use a laser.  It makes it very easy to point the scope at a patch of sky prior to using the RACI.  I know that some find it easy, but I struggle to understand what I'm looking at through the finder, I often can't tell which star is which.

In terms of the laser being visible away from the scope, I've found that this is not the case.  You have to be quite near to the origin of the beam to able to spot it.  The problem where aircraft are concerned tends to come where people are deliberately trying to track them.

May I raise you the best actual best red dot finder: the Tele Vue Starbeam. 

Expensive, bulky, but robust and versatile, it is the best finder I ever used. You get a lot of mileage out of that mirror — pretty sure I’ve never used it straight through. I never was a fan of optical finders though.

On 05/12/2021 at 03:43, Jiggy 67 said:

I don’t really get why you would need a laser.

I can't twist my back and neck around to use my Telrad and QuikFinder at altitudes above about 40 degrees anymore.  I can be on target in under a second with a laser.

It's pretty easy to scan the sky for blinking aircraft lights before turning on the laser.  You'd have to be near deaf to not hear a helicopter unless it was moving at a high rate of speed, which they rarely do.  I can hear them from inside my house with windows closed.  Also, resist the temptation to look for the exit beam at the front of the unit when the battery is low.  It can blind you in an instant if you get on axis with it.  All it takes is a bit of common sense to use lasers safely outdoors.

A bigger threat to aircraft this time of year are the Christmas laser projectors that miss the side of the house and shoot 100mW or higher powered beams into the air continuously.  All it takes is a passing storm or careless kid to knock them backward and aim them at the sky.

I thought generally SGL members didn't encourage lasers for safety reasons as mentioned.  Personally I went from going a whole session and not finding anything with an optical raci to adding a Y mount and adding a cheap £10 second hand unbranded rdf next to the raci to being able to find any target I can see with the naked eye in seconds.  Lasers are certainly not necessary and imo wouldn't find me stuff any quicker so why risk the hazrd of the laser?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JOC said:

Lasers are certainly not necessary and imo wouldn't find me stuff any quicker so why risk the hazrd of the laser?

See my post above yours.  Some older folks like myself simply can't twist their back and neck like they used to be able to due to injuries to either or both.

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

It's pretty easy to scan the sky for blinking aircraft lights before turning on the laser.  You'd have to be near deaf to not hear a helicopter unless it was moving at a high rate of speed, which they rarely do.  I can hear them from inside my house with windows closed.

I have to disagree with respect. If you look at the device the OP is talking about, it’s a disaster waiting to happen. I don’t know what laser you use but this one is dangerous. You can imagine the scenario where an observer is concentrating on finding a target with a laser piercing the sky and then forgets whilst he walks away to change an eyepiece or something. You don’t always hear aircraft at high altitude nor is it in your mind whilst you are deciding what ep to select away from the scope. I can be looking through a scope when a plane will cross my field of view without any warning, it’s happened on a number of occasions. There is a reason why reputable retailers don’t appear to sell these things. Having said that, there is a place for laser pointers where they are hand held by a responsible person who can redirect it or turn it off at a moment’s notice. 
Further to that, I’d love to see how these products would go down at a star party with people imaging 

There is a big difference in the attitude to laser pointers in the UK compared to the US. Here there are a number of petitions going around calling for an outright ban of laser pointers. I think it’s down to the easy availability of illegal overpowered  laser pointers . Seems to have turned public opinion against them.

Edited by johninderby

3 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

You can imagine the scenario where an observer is concentrating on finding a target with a laser piercing the sky and then forgets whilst he walks away to change an eyepiece or something.

I use a momentary switch that has to be held down for the laser to stay lit.

3 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

You don’t always hear aircraft at high altitude nor is it in your mind whilst you are deciding what ep to select away from the scope.

A laser pointer on the ground seen at that altitude would appear about as bright as the full moon at most.  That, and the angle would not be conducive to entering the cockpit.  If it was at low elevation and the airplane on the horizon, the extinction of the beam would be even higher.

I was out tonight trying to use my QuikFinder because I didn't have a mount on my ST80 for a laser, just a QF mount.  OMG, what a pain just trying to sight in Venus!  I kept looking over my glasses while trying to stoop low enough and twist around enough to see up through the QF, making it nearly impossible to sight it in.  Not an issue with a laser finder.

I think it's clear that the best place to ask about Laser finders might be an American based forum - I think the concensus in the UK is that they are accidents waiting to happen and I'm glad we don't seem to support their use.

• Like 1