Narrowband

TAL 2M Advice

HI 

I bought a TAL 2M last week, its been in storage since 1997 and was absolutely as new with eyepieces still wrapped in tissue and packed in original wood cases, (I bought one back in 96 and let it go), BIG MISTAKE!), It is a one off find , but on assembly I have noticed quite a few black specks in the finder, despite fact that the finder was totally unused still wrapped in tissue, any advice appeciated on how I can remove/clean these, other than that this TAL is in absolutely original condition and is as far as I am concerned a once in a lifetime find

Hi and welcome aboard, congrats on that find too!

For the TAL finder, are you able to tell if the black specks are on the outer surface of the eyepiece/objective lenses?

If they are then a blower or camel hair brush to tease them away and a clean with a lens cleaning fluid on a microfibre cloth may be all that's needed. Otherwise you'll be looking at dismantling the finder to clean inner surfaces and reticule. For that you'd need good jewellers screwdrivers and ideally a lens spanner. 

Hi and thanks for the replies and welcome

It looks like the debris is possibly internal because when on near focus they dissappear then when focussed on infinity, i.e you can see the circular reticule the spots are evident, I have located the screw to  remove the eyepiece but will not attempt this until I have a screwdriver that fits perfectly, not going to rush the job since other than this the telescope is in pristine 'from the factory 'condition

• 1 month later...