SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

Still working on getting the mount figured out.  Overall I'm very happy with the performance although I'm pretty much hit or miss on the alignment.  I've had a read of how people are doing it.

Think I've got it sorted out now though.  I need to align the mount to true north in the level position.  From playing with SkySafari I should be able to get roughly on the ncp if I position Polaris just out of the FOV with my 12mm eyepiece much like a proper polar alignment with an equatorial (only using Skysafari to figure out where it should be).  I can then lock the azi and level the alt.  Job done.  Should be fairly quick.

Does anyone use the point and track?  Is it literally just turn on the mount point it at an object and tell it to track and it does it?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Still working on getting the mount figured out.  Overall I'm very happy with the performance although I'm pretty much hit or miss on the alignment.  I've had a read of how people are doing it.

Think I've got it sorted out now though.  I need to align the mount to true north in the level position.  From playing with SkySafari I should be able to get roughly on the ncp if I position Polaris just out of the FOV with my 12mm eyepiece much like a proper polar alignment with an equatorial (only using Skysafari to figure out where it should be).  I can then lock the azi and level the alt.  Job done.  Should be fairly quick.

Does anyone use the point and track?  Is it literally just turn on the mount point it at an object and tell it to track and it does it?

I've used point and track on the sun, with the appropriate protection of course, and it worked very well. North levelled the scope (physically only, not the alignment process in the app) before starting, which is fairly important to get as close as possible, but then it tracked the sun for at least 45-60 mins before I needed to adjust it a touch. 

In general though, I have always used the North level alignment process in the app to great success. I know some folks have had a total mare with it but I have always found it to be excellent and self correcting (sort of).

The first star is usually off by a fair bit, which you then manually centre. Then the second is usually off by a lot less, again needs manually centring, and then by the time you're slewing to actual targets it is very close to centre if not bang on. In theory, the model it builds should get more accurate over the session each time you slew then centre (if needed), and I've found that to be my experience. 

• Like 1

I think that Point and Track is an excellent feature, the main challenge for a beginner like me is actually knowing in the first place whereabouts in the sky my target is.

Once I've found it and selected it in the app then I have found the tracking is very good. I can then use my Turn Left at Orion book for star hopping.

I'm still relatively new to the AZ-GTi and it's working well for me. I'm purely visual.

Had a eureka moment couple of months ago. Realised I didn't need to be outside in the cold and dark to learn the basics of the mount. Just plonked it on the kitchen table - no tripod, no telescope. Guessed at north and level using the saddle jaws as a guide. Turn it on and connect to app. And take it from there experimenting.

As the simplest of examples: pick Polaris as first alignment star - saddle rotates down then I got my invisible telescope mounted on the wrong side, so turn it around. Now it goes up to Polaris.  Pick a second star and see if roughly heads in the correct direction (use Sky Safari in VR mode to 'see' where the second star is). None of this has to be 100% accurate but lots of different things to try inside the house watching how the saddle moves around. That's been good training exercises for me which speed up the learning curve.

• Like 3

Mixed bag tonight.  The goto was more accurate but still not great.  Still 2° is within the FOV of my 32mm plossl.  I tried doing the clusters in Auriga and visbsky safari and going by the display in the app it was like the entire constellation didn't exist.  The circle just hopped over it.  Managed to get it going again by aligning on capella via the synscan app.

I suspect my biggest issue is that I have no plan so go from one side of the sky to the other.  I'm thinking if I go to a star in the rough region and align to it in synscan and then use skysafari to navigate it will go better?

Managed to get some very nice views of the clusters in auriga butvdecided to try for Kemble's cascade which was near zenith.  The mount didn't like that at all.  I think that was down to the balance being off.

I think I need to figure out a couple things, firstly how to get point and track to work ( it was grayed out) and secondly some sort of handle so I can steer the scope manually.

I don't think me and the mount are quite there yet, but I'll give it some more time yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Mixed bag tonight.  The goto was more accurate but still not great.  Still 2° is within the FOV of my 32mm plossl.  I tried doing the clusters in Auriga and visbsky safari and going by the display in the app it was like the entire constellation didn't exist.  The circle just hopped over it.  Managed to get it going again by aligning on capella via the synscan app.

I suspect my biggest issue is that I have no plan so go from one side of the sky to the other.  I'm thinking if I go to a star in the rough region and align to it in synscan and then use skysafari to navigate it will go better?

Managed to get some very nice views of the clusters in auriga butvdecided to try for Kemble's cascade which was near zenith.  The mount didn't like that at all.  I think that was down to the balance being off.

I think I need to figure out a couple things, firstly how to get point and track to work ( it was grayed out) and secondly some sort of handle so I can steer the scope manually.

I don't think me and the mount are quite there yet, but I'll give it some more time yet.

Does sky safari give you the opportunity to centre and confirm your target, or just assume that it is correct? One thing you might want to try is a session just using the synscan app, as it gives you the opportunity after each slew to fine tune the centring of the target, which improves the accuracy. Worth seeing if it's any better when just using synscan, to narrow down where the issue might be. 

It could be that after only a North level alignment with two stars, it's not quite accurate enough, so maybe it needs a few more targets in synscan first along with the accompanying fine tuning/centring in order for it to more accurate in sky Safari. 

Regarding the manual moving btw, you need to ensure you have the dual encoders turned on in the settings, so that the mount knows where you are pointing when you unlock the axes and manually move it (it also needs to be accurately aligned before you unlock the axes). 

16 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I'm thinking if I go to a star in the rough region and align to it in synscan and then use skysafari to navigate it will go better?

Yes, a "pointing accuracy enhancement". It doesn't contribute to the overall alignment, but is supposed to improve the local accuracy.

3 hours ago, badhex said:

Does sky safari give you the opportunity to centre and confirm your target,

Yes, you can align within SkySafari, and it will create an offset between it and SynScan, provided the discrepancy isn't too large.

Edited by Zermelo

17 hours ago, Ratlet said:

grayed out

If I recall, once you've slewed to a target you have to fine tune the centering a little with one or two up down left right movements, then point and track will be available.

It's the same when star aligning, you won't be able to confirm its centred until you've done the above.

• Like 2

On 15/01/2023 at 08:38, leo82 said:

I've come to use my az gti for the first time in a while. It won't align with any stars I try to align it with, brightest star or North level alignment. It's always about 4-5 degrees off target.

I only use it in alt az with no eq wedge.

I have tried using synscan and synscan Pro apps.

I have updated the mount to the current firmware.

I have put fresh duracell batteries in. 

When I first set it up, I make sure I'm pointing north by manually finding polaris in the telescope. I then lower the telescope so it's lying horizontal.

I then turn the mount on and try to align with polaris. It's always off target so I use the app buttons to centre it. Then off to second star. The same thing happens so I centre it up again and pick a target I want to observe. Again it's way off target.

I could get closer to an unknown manually than by using goto, which shouldn't happen.

I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

These are the steps that should resolve any goto issues unless you have a hardware issue or mounted the scope incorrectly:

1. Turn on the mount, open the Synscan app, connect to the mount

2. Under "Alignment" choose "Reset Alignment" to clear the sky model.

3. Disconnect and exit the app. Remove the Synscan APP from device memory

4. Turn off the mount

5. Ensure the mount is level, the scope is in horizontal position and pointing North

6. Turn off the mount. Re-open Synscan and re-Connect the APP to the mount.

7. Perform a 3-Star alignment - as this is the most accurate form of alignment.

Hope this helps. I've struggled myself to get things to work so I can relate to any frustrations 🙂

Evening all. OK after much to'ing and fro'ing I "think" I've come up with a plan. 

Little bit of background first. Have a place in Spain, Bortle Class 3 skies and looking to get back into AP whilst we are over there.

Looking to buy this mount already setup for EQ from Rother.

I'm thinking of either getting the WOZS61 or WOZS73, leaning towards the latter

I have a Nikon D7000 and D7100, which would be better or are they much of a muchness, for the photography side.

I assume there are going to be a few "bits" that are also needed, so my main question, Is this setup going to be pushing the mount too far ? 

I use a Z61, and I've upgraded to the cat handle system and use the WO rings for my 50mm guidescope, with all the metal and two cameras it's around 6.5Kg, some people use a 70mm scope so unless you load it with other stuff should be okay, but check the weights first. You can hear mine struggle (it's louder) when slewing than when its load is not so heavy, but no jarrs in it's movement or guiding. Note, I'm knowingly overloading it, if it gets damaged that's on me.

• Like 1

Hi all I'm running into a bit of a strange issue here. 

I attempted to update my Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount with the right arm update for EQ mode. I used Motor Controller 1.80 and used the following Firmware: AZGTi Mount, Right Arm, AZ/EQ Dual Mode, Version 3.40

The updater said that the installation was successfully installed and to recycle the power. I shut down the mount and when I switched the power back on it didn't respond. No light, nothing.

I've tried reboot mode but I haven't had any luck.

Anyone have any experience with this?

On 06/02/2023 at 14:54, StargazerCB_92 said:

I attempted to update my Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount with the right arm update for EQ mode. I used Motor Controller 1.80 and used the following Firmware: AZGTi Mount, Right Arm, AZ/EQ Dual Mode, Version 3.40

The updater said that the installation was successfully installed and to recycle the power. I shut down the mount and when I switched the power back on it didn't respond. No light, nothing.

If you reached the attached screen, turned the power off and on and nothing happens, it sounds like you might have bricked your mount 😞

There are various threads that indicate an unsuccesful update can be corrected by using either an eqdir usb cable or the SW wifi dongle. That however would require that the mount at least turns on.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/833272-az-gti-mount-stuck-flashing-3-lights-no-wifi-or-wired-connection-works/

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first 'play' with my new AZ-GTi mount to check out it's tracking in EQ mode. The camera is a Nikon 800E set at 1250 iso, lens is a 70-200 f2.8 G series zoom set to 200mm & f3.2. No filters used.

The image is a stack of 11x 30 second subs combined in PI and processed in PI for colour.

"nd image added or the area around M81 / M82 same processing with the exception of RC's Blur and Noise XT routines run on final images.

First quarter moon within 90° (guessed).

I have cropped the outer parts of the frame as there was signs of coma in the images although I was pleased that the tracking appeared good. No dither.

My set-up was to level the top of the tripod horizontally then put the tripod pan & tilt head on the tripod, level that horizontally too. I then put the AZ-GTi with the camera and lens on a photo tripod placing it with weights down pointing north, switched on the live view on the camera making sure the grid was visible on the screen and centred Polaris using just the vertical and rotational movements of the pan & tilt head, magnifield the view to centre and focus polaris and lack the tripod head movements.

The AZ-GTi will operate off WiFi so I used that to set goto and a set of exposures.

integration_ABE_ABE.jpg

integration_DBE_BXT_NXT.png

Edited by fwm891
Text added - Image added
  • Like 2

• fwm891 changed the title to Wide field almost centred on NGC2264 with AZ-GTi !

Hi All.

I've been using the AZ GTI in AZ mode happily for a few months and getting very decent images.  Recently I took the plunge and purchased an EQ wedge and an Asiair Mini in the hopes of getting better images and cutting down on wires trailing into the house.

I updated the firmware for the mount to the EQ right side and mounted my telescope as I believe it should be (see image below).  I connect the Asiair to the mount using the Lynx EQ Mod cable from FLO and then select Skywatcher EQ Wedge as the mount type as EQ Mount as the type doesn't seem to work.

I struggled with PA the first time but the next two evenings I've achieved PA (although it never seems to finish calculating the Global Ranking).  Once this is done I attempt to Go-To M42 and every time instead of heading West where I can clearly see M42 is located it heads East and then straight up and I have to stop the movement before the camera hits the tripod.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

It's also worth mentioning that I set the mount to the usual home position pointing at Polaris with the counterweight downwards and then turn on the mount which should set this as home.  However, after PA (and probably before), if I set the mount to go home it always alights the mount itself towards Polaris but it doesn't rotate the telescope to Polaris, it always seems to put it around 30 degrees to the left (see photo below).  I am not sure why this is and I assume is something going wrong?

Any help would be appreciated, I might go back and see if the mount is working in AZ mode with a standard 3 star alignment because at the moment, after reading around the net I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  Some guides say you should align in Synscan first but this would see redundant if you're doing PA in Asiair anyway.

Any help appreciated, thus far I haven't been able to use the Asiair in anger at all.

Thanks.

MM

IMG20230227221850.jpg

IMG20230227222047.jpg

On 06/02/2023 at 13:54, StargazerCB_92 said:

Hi.

Something similar happened to me last week although my update said it had failed, I contacted FLO and they sent a list of things to try although none worked.  As it stands I've bought a new AZ GTI from FLO and I will be sending the "bricked" one back to them to be looked at.

MM

If your send to home position command makes the telescope go to a strange position, when it's stopped slewing, physically declutch the ra and Dec and physically move it into home position then lock both axis back up again. When you select send to home again the scope should not, or should hardly move. It is now in home position and should goto fine.

I have also had strange gotos on my pro and mini asiair using the latest v2.0 app and 10.46 firmware update, search for the thread and you'll see what problems I've had. I've since rolled the firmware back on both units and use version 1.9 beta of the app.

• Like 1

I had this identical scenario 2 nights ago. I've only been using the Az GTi in EQ mode for imaging for a few weeks since my back injury when I decided that moving my heavier mount around would not be a good idea.

Two nights ago I was prompted to update the app as soon as I turned the Asiair on. PA was done fairly easily, I also like to return the mount to the home position using the app before selecting my target, I had read elsewhere it made things more accurate, but when I did so this time it slewed to a crazy position. I decided to start again so turned off the mount and manually returned the mount by loosening clutches to the home position and powered on. PA was done very quickly but when I searched for M42 in "tonights best" it would not slew when the green arrow was pressed so I selected it in the "slide out bit" in Preview mode . It responded but just like for @MonsterMagnet it pointed away from the target. So I started again but this time returned the mount to the home position by loosening clutches without turning off the power. Didn't do PA again but selected M42 as above and it slewed perfectly and I was able to get 80+ minutes of imaging.

This behaviour must be update related as @Elp says so I must do some reading and try to roll ,the update back.

58 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi 

@MonsterMagnet

Try selecting the mount as EQ mod mount. This should help solve your issue. 

Lee 

Hi.

I've tried this previously but in this mode the mount doesn't seem to understand commands from the Asiair, nothing happens and the tracking is red.

I'll give it another go though and report back.

MM

Edited by MonsterMagnet
  • Like 1

I use an EQ dir cable from lynx astro. Mount is set to skywatcher AZGTI. Check your baud rate is set correctly, can't remember off hand what mines set to but I think it's 9600.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1