SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

I've always assumed they are physical stops to stop the azimuth/Ra from turning in a free state if it's mounted onto a dovetail which has a locking screw that locates into one of them. That's what I use them for.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I did not know about the Skywatcher AZGTi mount, until last night!

I only really use the AZGTi mount at outreach events, whether at Seething Observatory or on location, but purchased the SynScan handset (much easier to use in the cold, than tapping the screen of an iphone or tablet btw). Anyway, with the handset, you can run a "daytime alignment" and choose the the Moon, Venus, or whatever solar system object is in view at the time.

Next time I'm out with the mount, I'll try and see if you can align in the same way with just the app, but very handy in the early evening being able to align on just the Moon etc.

Chris

• Like 2

With the recent stretch of bad weather I decided to make a mount to aid PA alignment with my AZ-GTi which has until now been done with a 3way pan n tilt photo tripod. I’ve now taken the 3 way off and put the new one on…

Pan-Tilt-Tripod-head-7.jpg

Pan-Tilt-Tripod-head-8.jpg

Edited by fwm891
Photos added
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, fwm891 said:

With the recent stretch of bad weather I decided to make a mount to aid PA alignment with my AZ-GTi which has until now been done with a 3way pan n tilt photo tripod. I’ve now taken the 3 way off and put the new one on…

What an amazing piece of engineering! Brilliant 👏  Have you had first light with it yet? And how does it handle. 

Lee

Part of sorting the mount made a counter weight bar, the weight in the middle already had so got a M12 threaded bar and two wing nuts to go with it. I went for a 240 mm bar but I think I could have got away with 200mm as I'm staying light. Even though will be using in altaz mode wanted to balance the mount.

16799500966231.jpg.2b0f6d6a0468c5b347b51c6194a993cb.jpg

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

What an amazing piece of engineering! Brilliant 👏  Have you had first light with it yet? And how does it handle. 

Lee

Not yet Lee, I had hoped to tonight but as it got darker so the cloud got thicker…

• Sad 1

Can anyone recommend a telescope for this mount for Galaxy hunting. My Redcat51 doesn't have the reach once you go beyond M33. I have tried M51 and M81 but I'm really cropping into get a decent sized image

M51-RGB-session_1.png

Edited by RayWUK

Depends how long you want to go. I've tried my C6 at 1000mm, it struggles with it even though it's a similar weight to my refractor setup. The longer you go on most mounts the tracking will be a potential issue, I get it also on my gem28 with the same scope, seeing plays more of a part also at longer FLs (I use an OAG in such a scenario). I think the general limit for the azgti when imaging is around 70-80mm aperture for a refractor, extra glass adds significant weight, but you'd have to also put thought into the amount of hardware added to such a setup (weight of dovetails, rings etc).

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RayWUK said:

Can anyone recommend a telescope for this mount for Galaxy hunting. My Redcat51 doesn't have the reach once you go beyond M33. I have tried M51 and M81 but I'm really cropping into get a decent sized image

M51-RGB-session_1.png

As @Elpsays probably around the 70-80mm for a refractor, with my 72ed set up I wouldn't go above this and would even go to a 60mm refractor for weight saving purposes.

Maybe a 130pds for a reflector could do the job as many on here have this on the az gti, or (I quite like this idea) a 130/150 heritage scope. The helical focuser does give me a doubt or two, also not sure of the weight of them. 

I'm sure I've just spoke a load of nonsense but this is what me personally I'd do. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/03/2023 at 08:42, fwm891 said:

This set up makes the skywatcher wedge llook like a toy  , fantastic . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

130pds

It might be doable, if the tripod is absolutely solid and there's no wind. When I tried mine the slightest hint of a breeze was a no go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

It might be doable, if the tripod is absolutely solid and there's no wind. When I tried mine the slightest hint of a breeze was a no go.

Thanks you for confirming my nonsense 😂, wasn't to sure on it to be fair. Just thought I saw some mention using it on the AzGti 👍

Lee

• Haha 1

On 18/04/2022 at 07:21, herne said:

Thought I'd chip in with my experience of using this little mount for astrophotography using an eq wedge.  Equipment list:

Az-gti with eq wedge (firmware updated).

Astro-modified Canon 700D.

William Optics Z61ii + WO adjustable field flattener.

ZWO ASI 120mm mini mono camera + Astro Essentials 32mm guide scope.

ZWO ASIair pro + LynxAstro ftdi EQDIR USB adapter cable (connects AZ-gti directly to the ASIair pro).

Optolong L-enhance 2" filter.

Homemade counter balance weight.

iPad + ASIair app to control things.

I have an almost identical set up except that I have an ASIAIR Plus (and my camera and scope are different, but that shouldn't matter for my issues I'm going to describe).  I use an Eqmod cable to connect AZ-GTI with wedge and ASIAir plus. I choose 'Eqmod' in ASIAir's mount selection pull down menu. 

I have a couple of mysteries to solve re: Goto and meridian flip.   

Apparently, others do not have these issues and I must be doing something wrong.  If others could share what exactly do in terms of PA and goto's after that with the above set-up, I'd be very grateful.

I posted what I did in gory details at https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/870296-az-gtieq-mode-and-zwo-asiair-plus-counterweight-pointing-up-past-the-meridian-west/ . I'll repeat it here if it's better.   

Simply put, I have two issues. 

1. My first goto after the PA is always off by 90 degrees (6 hours) in RA.  For targets in SW, the scope is pointing downward toward the ground. 
  2. To work around issue #1, what I do is to slew, RA,  manually (using ASIAIR app) by approximately 90 degrees and issue another Goto from ASI Air. Then, my second issue pops up, Even though the scope is pointing very close to the target and  is in the correct pose (my target is in south west  so that the telescope is above the level and the CW is below the level; the first picture below),  the Goto does a totally unnecessary meridian flip and puts the telescope below the level (moving down and approaching the tripod with the tracking ) and the CW above the level moving up with the tracking (see the second picture).  All other subsequent goto to other targets in SW or NW keep this pose.

In addition, when I issue a goto to a target in SE (e.g. Arcturus (10pm, late March) and another goto to a target in SW (e.g Procyon or Betelguse),  the scope does not change the pose (no meridian flip) even though Arcturus is before the merdian and Procyon/Betegues is past the meridian 

Thank you very much for your help, 

Before goto 20230330.jpg

After-goto 20230330.jpg

Edited by photon08

55 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Have you got it right sided mounted for when in eq mode?

The mount looks odd as the weights look higher then the scope in the second picture

I thought you only used right side mounting the az-gti in AZ mode?

Think they may have meant the firmware that's loaded onto the azgti.

Issue is most likely as @fwm891 has pointed out. Your home position is not correct. If you slew to home position and it's not correct, undo both RA and DEC clutches and physically move the scope into home position then tighten both clutches again. Slew to home position again and if correct the mount shouldn't move (or very little). Might have to do this one or two times the first time.

Either that, or I suspect your asiair is doing it running the latest update. Mine worked fine until version 2.0 of the app was released with its enclosed firmware update, then I had random issues including your wrong slewing behaviour which would just happen at random including gotos suddenly going in random and wrong directions even after a correct first solve slew and home position suddenly deciding it wanted to be 90 degrees out all of a sudden.

To save yourself some frustration, you can test this during the day, with a stellarium open on your mobile you'll see if it's pointing roughly in the right areas when doing gotos.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Been trying to use my AZGTi in EQMod without the aid of my ASIAIR but having a problem.

I manage to do a polar align ok but when doing a two or three star align with stars on either side of the meridian stage things happen.

Start off in the home position, weight down, telescope pointing up towards Polaris. Set Betelgeuse as first star and Caph as second. When i start align procedure the RA turns through approx 270degress through the bottom of the mount and eventually ends up with the scope pointing near Betelguese. Then when going to Caph it goes back about 230 degrees through the bottom of the mount again. Surely it should go over the top of the mount. I've tried end to ending the scope on the Dec axis but it makes no difference. Anyone else had this?

Should add, it works perfectly with the ASIAIR.

Edited by RayWUK

This comes back to the query posted above I think. Are you using the LHS or RHS alt az/EQ mode firmware? (Ie if using in alt az mode only do you put the scope on the left or right pointing north, by default the azgti usually comes with the former firmware).

Also I haven't got it connected ATM but the Synscan Pro app has a setting under "settings > advanced > flipping mode" is there something there which relates to it. The mount certainly shouldn't be turning "underneath" in RA, the other suspect might be your location, is it correct?

21 minutes ago, Elp said:

This comes back to the query posted above I think. Are you using the LHS or RHS alt az/EQ mode firmware? (Ie if using in alt az mode only do you put the scope on the left or right pointing north, by default the azgti usually comes with the former firmware).

Also I haven't got it connected ATM but the Synscan Pro app has a setting under "settings > advanced > flipping mode" is there something there which relates to it. The mount certainly shouldn't be turning "underneath" in RA, the other suspect might be your location, is it correct?

Ah, didn't know the was a LHS/RHS Eq firmware option. There was not choice when i installed the EQMod firmware over a year ago. But i am using the mount in EQ mount mode. 

Ive looked at the flip setting settings but it only give Auto, off (once) and Forced (once) whatever that means. None of them seemed to make any difference. There's also a 'Trail Point Meridian Flip' whatever that is.

Theres also an 'Altitude Limit' in the settings, never touched this so no idea what that is. Upper Go To limit =75, Lower Go To = 0.

Location is correct.

20 hours ago, fwm891 said:

What’s your starting point? Scope pointing north weights down? After PA do you return to ‘home’ position before slewing to a target? Clocks set to correct time?

Thank you for the reply.

I tried both. Unfortunately, that does not make a difference The first go-to is always off by 6 hours in RA (90 degrees in RA) and the scope points to the ground. 

The time comes from my phone/tablet and it's correct for both AsiAir app and Synscan app.  AsiAir app has the correct UTC offset, too. 

19 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Have you got it right sided mounted for when in eq mode?

The mount looks odd as the weights look higher then the scope in the second picture

Thank you for the reply. 

I'm pretty sure it's RHS. See my photo attached below. It's pointing toward the North pole. Without a EQ wedge (i.e. AZ mode)  and the scope  pointing North and being level, it'd be on the right hand side of the mount when viewed from behind the scope (me standing south of the mount and looking in north), wouldn't it? 

As for the second picture, that's my problem #2 in my original post. When goto is issued to a target in West (past the meridian: HA is between 0 and 12h; e.g. Capella, Procyon,  Rigel around 8pm in late March), the scope takes that incorrect pose (picture #2 in my first post)  even though the goto was issued from a position pretty close to the target in the correct pose (picture #1 in my first post).  

After this goto, all other goto's to targets past the meridian result in this incorrect pose even though in terms of RA and Dec, the scope is correctly centered. 

az-gti home.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, photon08 said:

Thank you for the reply.

I tried both. Unfortunately, that does not make a difference The first go-to is always off by 6 hours in RA (90 degrees in RA) and the scope points to the ground. 

The time comes from my phone/tablet and it's correct for both AsiAir app and Synscan app.  AsiAir app has the correct UTC offset, too. 

Thank you, @fwm891 !   Going Home (using ASIAir's 'Go home' button in the mount menu instead of manually turning back the scope with an arrow) before issuing a goto command to a target makes all the difference !   Now everything works perfectly (I haven't yet tested the automatic meridian flip with ASIAir, though) 

For the record, what I did this time is as follows:

1. Turn on ASIAir and AZ-Gti. They're connected via an EQmod cable with the scope pointing roughly at the North pole 
  2. In ASIAir, connect to the mount (EQmod,  serial)
  3. Run the PA in ASIAir
  4. In ASIAir, go home using 'Go home' button in the mount menu of ASIAir
  5. Go to a target past the meridian (i.e. Western hemisphere; e.g. Procyon) to confirm that the CW is down and the scope is up
  6. Go to a target before the meridian (Eastern hemisphere such as Arcturus at 11pm in early April) to confirm that the CW is down and the scope is up
  7. Go to another target past the meridian (e.g. Castro) to confirm the correct pose again. 

Thank you everyone for chiming in and help !