SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

54 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Depends on future desires, I'll just comment that the skywatcher synscan dongle can be used on the synscan mount which I think you have if it was the connection to a mobile you were after

future desires, that's a list that will likely never see an end!!......i think i mentioned in my other post i'd like to at some point delve more into dso imaging but for now i just want to focus more 'locally' on the solar system. i like the synscan mount i currently have but i just figured the ease of use and flexibility of the azgti might be beneficial......i nearly bought the SW127/azgti bundle 3 years ago, until the scope i have popped up on ebay for a steal, so it might just be my heart leading back towards the original mount 😜

Edited by thekwango

In altaz mode and the synscan wifi dongle they've nearly the same capability for altaz limited imaging

The dongle can come up SH makes for a better price, otherwise it would probably make the idea pants

edit

The synscan mount from memory doesn't have freedom find which the azgti does have and the synscan mount  might not have the same ports and maybe different weight capacity

Edited by happy-kat

34 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

In altaz mode and the synscan wifi dongle they've nearly the same capability for altaz limited imaging

The dongle can come up SH makes for a better price, otherwise it would probably make the idea pants

edit

The synscan mount from memory doesn't have freedom find which the azgti does have and the synscan mount  might not have the same ports and maybe different weight capacity

i did in the past look at the wifi dongle but at 65 quid i thought it was far too expensive for what it was and i'd still be left feeling like i was missing something by not going the whole hog and replacing the entire mount (these upgrade itches are bloody hard to scratch!) 

capacity wise, i think this older model was/is limited to 4.5kg with the azgti rated at 5kg so not a huge difference but ultimately every little bit helps i guess? i think what is attracting me more is the additional functions such as point and track etc (point and track sounds right up my lazy street!) which my current mount doesn't appear to have. 

of course all of the above could just be me trying to justify an unnecessary purchase to myself 🤣

18 minutes ago, Elp said:

Is it the same mount though? You could possibly update the firmware and get the new features within the synscan pro app? I'm not 100% though.

no, unfortunately it's not the same mount. at least as far as i can tell from my limited knowledge and research

I replaced the old knobs with some skywatcher new green color knobs. Even the big one (2nd picture) which normally blocks the RA, has been replaced a green one, and have enough space for the mount to go in front of the knob.

20221124_191359.thumb.jpg.f0c59cbaebe6bcbeb0d0ad119421bb34.jpg20221124_191432.thumb.jpg.b5dfbc8e49bb10074d695f0fe65ef8ca.jpg

20221124_191413.thumb.jpg.38259a2fbdc708845f598dcbca616690.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thekwango said:

afternoon to all the azgti owners......i'm just about to hit buy on this mount to replace the original mount my 6year old SW 127. any one done the same that would care to comment on the sanity of that - is it a worthy upgrade?

i'm also going to be throwing in a telrad finder scope (hate the current one i have) and a Talentcell rechargeable power pack, curious if any one knows does the power pack come with the relevant cable to connect to the mount or should i get one separately? 

I had the talentcell power pack and it did come with a power lead to connect to the mount but I upgraded to a lynx astro power cable much better and more insulation. 

I believe this is the one 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/lynx-astro-cables/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-21mm-dc-jack-to-21mm-dc-jack.html

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Using the WiFi dongle which I picked up SH and use the pro version on my virtuoso v1 and get point and track but the mount's firmware does not support eq mode

Interesting, I have had the mount connected to my laptop via the cable and didn’t see any different/new options available on the desktop app other than those already available on the handset. Admittedly that was a while back so maybe the app has been updated or the mobile app is better supported. 

Edited by thekwango

On 23/08/2022 at 21:14, bomberbaz said:

azgti.thumb.jpg.9d2db6fc5006d3a2578c92ae7dadbf25.jpg

I also slipped two small pieces of plastic (I sabotaged a teflon type chopping mat) and slid them between the motor housing casing and the actual drive mechanism housing. (

If anyone needs pictures, let me know.

Steve

Can you show the spring? If its betweeen the worm gear and plastic casing, we should see it right? You didnt put the spring under that worm gear? I though you needed an oppisite force from the weak spring above.

image.png.0480b8d58e2f155bbceb5c794f53426f.png

Edited by Oxize

12 minutes ago, -philip- said:

Wondering, will the startravel 120 be any bother on az-gti with upgraded tripod? 

Hmmm it’s not too long so balance would be ok but once you put a diagonal and EP on it adds to the weight as does the rings . I think it might work but you will be right on the edge of the weight limit of the mount . A decent tripod will keep things steady though . … you can but try , however you don’t want to overload those motors in the mount . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hmmm it’s not too long so balance would be ok but once you put a diagonal and EP on it adds to the weight as does the rings . I think it might work but you will be right on the edge of the weight limit of the mount . A decent tripod will keep things steady though . … you can but try , however you don’t want to overload those motors in the mount . 

Ah thank you.  I have a 127 which is fine, I am after something to improve observing as I don’t AP. Is there anything else you could recommend that will go on the Mount without the need for much fiddling or worry?

Also, as I am here.. I have a change to get a nexstar 8se pretty cheaply, and wondering if this will offer much better observing than what I have? Appreciate your time. :)

19 minutes ago, -philip- said:

Ah thank you.  I have a 127 which is fine, I am after something to improve observing as I don’t AP. Is there anything else you could recommend that will go on the Mount without the need for much fiddling or worry?

Also, as I am here.. I have a change to get a nexstar 8se pretty cheaply, and wondering if this will offer much better observing than what I have? Appreciate your time. :)

Ok so what mount would you use for the Nexstar 8SE ? 
As for a scope for the Az-gti , maybe a 130 Newtonian or a smaller refractor , a 102 would be ok . 

2 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ok so what mount would you use for the Nexstar 8SE ? 
As for a scope for the Az-gti , maybe a 130 Newtonian or a smaller refractor , a 102 would be ok . 

The se mount it comes with. I’ve never used it before, have only ever used az-gti and a dobsonian.

I have the 8SE on its mount , the scope is lovely , the mount is ok ish but it does the job . That scope will give you great planetary and Luna views . Make sure you get a dew shield and a suitable power tank or have provision for using mains power as the mount will certainly eat through batteries very quickly 

On 28/04/2022 at 20:07, AstroNebulee said:

I have now sorted this issue tonight. I've just made sure the spring had pulled the worm into contact with the gear and tightened the spring nut and bolt down so no spring activation now, this was how I had it before. 

(May need to turn the sound up to hear the RA clicking in before video.) 

Do you know why they made a spring in there? Its to offload heavy equipment on the gears through the springs.  When you stand behind your AZ GTI mount, with the power button facing you, you need to have play, when you push the mount to the left (counterclockwise). When pushing clockwise (to the right), there should be no play. If you screw in that screw to much and the springed loaded mechanism in RA hasnt no function, it wears out the gears way to fast (hence metal dust) when using equipment close to 3kg. 

Edited by Oxize

59 minutes ago, Oxize said:

Do you know why they made a spring in there? Its to offload heavy equipment on the gears through the springs.  When you stand behind your AZ GTI mount, with the power button facing you, you need to have play, when you push the mount to the left (counterclockwise). When pushing clockwise (to the right), there should be no play. If you screw in that screw to much and the springed loaded mechanism in RA hasnt no function, it wears out the gears way to fast (hence metal dust) when using equipment close to 3kg. 

That's backlash, it's in most videos on YouTube. Cuiv points this out in his video too. If your gears are meshed nicely together you will have no play in the RA. The spring is in there to even out any eccentricities in the worm and gear. You can chose to either use the spring loaded mechanism or as I do fix the meshing. There is no wrong or right way. I just tuned out the backlash. 

I'm already over the 5kg weight limit of my mount so my gears will already be wearing out. 

Lee 

• Like 1

Hi All, not been here for some time due to lack of interest over the summer months with al the light evenings.

Thought it was time to get back into doing some imaging so powered up the rig this afternoon just to make sure it was still working and the first thing that happened was the ASI Air decided to update itself to version 2. Ahhhhhh another learning curve.

Added to that i purchased a ZWO mini filter wheel and a few filters back in the summer so that has to be fitted as well. We've had a few nice clear nights recently but its been much too windy for imaging.

Watch this space.

Ray.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bought an Silicone DC Cable (Lynx Astro) from FLO for my Powerstation. I had a verry thin DC Cable before, which didnt feel right and with moisture problematic. 

The Silicone cable fits perfectly in the GT200.

20221210_203621.thumb.jpg.bc6e064e7bf75148e023f40c4d752571.jpg

@AstroNebulee 5KG+ with Counterweights?

Edited by Oxize
  • Like 1

It didn't track perfectly as some of the reveal images I had to re-align manually post process, but it worked reasonably well. Imaging Mars and Jupiter however was a bit troublesome with the azgti but I also managed to image Jupiter and Mars with it the day after.

Edited by Elp

Since adding the ADM clamp a while ago I have noticed alt axis droop with heavier eyepieces. Recently after removing the altitude clutch then comparing the mount side by side with another, we noticed a washer and rubber o-ring are missing!!! They haven't fell out so the mount must have been manufactured like that and I only noticed a problem after a tinker... 🙄

I'm essentially an engineering incompetent... So does anyone know what size washer I need? Thanks.

Below is what the mount should look like. With the missing parts being pointed to!

1857336363_azgti.jpg.1047d963fb58856b9542fdd6f5e74aee2.thumb.jpg.c63fe4090ccb37050e3b7d12c6a74e24.jpg

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet