Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it just my weather?

scotty38

I have a clear sky but enough wind for the Cloudwatcher monitor to flick between "Safe" and "Not Safe" which would result in a shutdown of the imaging and close the roof. I could turn off the safety monitor but would then have no warning if it clouded over or rained.

Another frustrating night.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, John said:

Similar here. I am out with my refractor having a quick look at Jupiter and Saturn but a) it's cold, b) it's gusty and c) the seeing seems to be rather poor.

I doubt that I'll be out much longer :rolleyes2:

I've just been out for a proper evaluation. If the wind drops a few mph and the transparent milkyness dissipates then out I go. Plenty of time to decide.

We were supposed to eat out tonight at a pub 25 minutes drive north but they cancelled at 5pm due to no power. ☹️

edit: Sorry to hear that Peter. ☹️ I'll be thinking of you later when I'm voluntarily shivering!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

if it wasn't for the 15mph wind gusting at 25mph.

Is that all...nearly 100mph up here last night 😬, a 25 minute drive home took me nearly 3hrs, tree's blocking roads, flooding, diversions...and when I finally got there the electricity and water was out :BangHead:

Anyway, it was sort of nice sitting in candlelight all night drinking wine :drunken_smilie:

5 minutes ago, callisto said:

Is that all...nearly 100mph up here last night 😬, a 25 minute drive home took me nearly 3hrs, tree's blocking roads, flooding, diversions...and when I finally got there the electricity and water was out :BangHead:

Anyway, it was sort of nice sitting in candlelight all night drinking wine :drunken_smilie:

Last night was terrible here too. Up to 75mph gusts. Wheelie bins thrown about etc. I had to go out in the dark and lash stuff down in the garden. We were lucky though. Mother nature conveniently piled a huge amount of leaves in one corner for me to dispose of today.  You didn't miss much on telly last night anyway. 😁

Just been out again. I cannot decide. The wind is bearable in my corner but examining the sky,  it isn't as clear as it looks with a glance.

I'll check on the hour until I go out, or midnight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Sod's Law in action tonight. It's crystal clear outside and forecast to remain so until tomorrow morning. The temperature will dip to around 1°c. The perfect night if it wasn't for the 15mph wind gusting at 25mph. Am I a wimp for not setting up, or sensible? 🙄

In my book it’s definitely sensible! 

Similar weather here in Hampshire. Although with the wind chill it’s forecast as -7C later on. And this kind of damp northerly wind can make it feel even colder. 

However, in my limited experience every time I’ve tried to observe in windy weather the seeing has been rubbish. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

In my book it’s definitely sensible! 

Similar weather here in Hampshire. Although with the wind chill it’s forecast as -7C later on. And this kind of damp northerly wind can make it feel even colder. 

However, in my limited experience every time I’ve tried to observe in windy weather the seeing has been rubbish. 

Thanks for the encouragement. 😁 The problem now is the sky was fantastic for a short period around dusk... but see above. I'm hoping a miracle happens and it's great later. Last January was the last time I managed several hours observing. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Last night winds were gusting to about 15 to 20mph with light drizzle. Bit of snow about 7:00am but had all melted away by 8:00am. Not at all the storm forecast by the BBC. 

For once they got it right for our neck of the woods...red warning 🙄

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Thanks for the encouragement. 😁 The problem now is the sky was fantastic for a short period around dusk... but see above. I'm hoping a miracle happens and it's great later. Last January was the last time I managed several hours observing. 

That sucks! I’ve just been out with the binoculars and had a scan about. It’s not bad but the cold and wind is enough for me. Orion is up and got a good view of the pleiades. However the stars are twinkling like mad and I wasn’t tempted to get a telescope out!

I've been thinking the same lately! Loads of pictures on here, not a clear sky in sight here. Having said that, with work and family commitments, I can't really stay up until the early hours in hope of some break in the clouds, so that might be a factor. 

I'm also saving up for a dedicated astro camera, and these endless cloudy nights make me question if it's worth the outlay.

But then that one clear night(when it/if  comes) will change my mind again😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, callisto said:

For once they got it right for our neck of the woods...red warning 

Pretty grim in the Lake District too. My home is near Burnley but we have a caravan that we keep at a site near Windermere.  Made the mistake of ignoring the forecasts and had a pretty bumpy night and then woke up to a caravan nearby to us looking like this.  No one hurt fortunately.  

E1702189-EFAE-49F6-A215-D6CA13F94B6C.jpeg

Edited by Priesters
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Priesters said:

Pretty grim in the Lake District too. My home is near Burnley but we have a caravan that we keep at a site near Windermere.  Made the mistake of ignoring the forecasts and had a pretty bumpy night and woke up to a caravan nearby to us looking like this.  No one hurt fortunately.  

E1702189-EFAE-49F6-A215-D6CA13F94B6C.jpeg

Dog doesn't look impressed being there either....

• Haha 2

I was just on the phone to my sister in the UK in Lincoln. As we started the conversation discussing our current weather (mine in the NE  US) she remarked how fine it has been there and how Lincoln stays snow free. Within minutes she goes gaga and tells me there's a full scale blizzard starting!

I tell her about the winters here.....

• Haha 2