Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

The briefest of “first lights” for my new Canon IS 15x50… loads of cloud and the moon was very low, but it was enough to test them and confirm what I hoped, that they’re going to be a “gamechanger” 👍

Being able to get (very) steady views at 15x, without the usual “jiggles” or needing to mount them, means that I can now use these for quick views (lunar, planets) or just lovely wide views of star fields 😄

EDIT: Add Jupiter and moons to the list… spotted her in a clear spot before heading off to bed, was out in 2mins and got a lovely (steady) view… these are great 🤣

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

The briefest of “first lights” for my new Canon IS 15x50… loads of cloud and the moon was very low, but it was enough to test them and confirm what I hoped, that they’re going to be a “gamechanger” 👍

Being able to get (very) steady views at 15x, without the usual “jiggles” or needing to mount them, means that I can now use these for quick views (lunar, planets) or just lovely wide views of star fields 😄

EDIT: Add Jupiter and moons to the list… spotted her in a clear spot before heading off to bed, was out in 2mins and got a lovely (steady) view… these are great 🤣

I was lucky enough to be able to use a pair under dark skies earlier this year. They're great, aren't they!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I was lucky enough to be able to use a pair under dark skies earlier this year. They're great, aren't they!

They’re amazing 👍

We’ve rented a cottage in West Wales for a short break later in November (with our dog), so I’m looking forward to bringing these along, for cliff top walks and some light astronomy 🤞😃

• Like 3

Just in from what started as an unplanned quick look at Jupiter which was, contrary to forecast, looking very steady around midnight.
3 hours later I’ve had one of my most memorable planetary sessions yet courtesy of the Mak 127.

Also some lovely 10x50 bino starfield  views as I waited for usable gaps in the cloud to appear.  

I’ll post an observing report tomorrow after heading to bed basking in unforgettable views (in some super seeing) of Jupiter, Saturn and, for the first time, discernible features on the surface of Mars! 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, SuburbanMak said:

Just in from what started as an unplanned quick look at Jupiter which was, contrary to forecast, looking very steady around midnight.
3 hours later I’ve had one of my most memorable planetary sessions yet courtesy of the Mak 127.

Also some lovely 10x50 bino starfield  views as I waited for usable gaps in the cloud to appear.  

I’ll post an observing report tomorrow after heading to bed basking in unforgettable views (in some super seeing) of Jupiter, Saturn and, for the first time, discernible features on the surface of Mars! 

Excellent! I’ll look out for your report. Have a nice rest 😴😴

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HollyHound said:

They’re amazing 👍

We’ve rented a cottage in West Wales for a short break later in November (with our dog), so I’m looking forward to bringing these along, for cliff top walks and some light astronomy 🤞😃

Really enjoyed mine, and I do miss them.

Might be worth getting a set of step down rings for the front objectives. That allows you to fit 2” filters and then you could go NAN and Veil (etc) hunting with them. I can’t recall which size is needed but with try to dig the info out. I used one UHC and one OIII, wasn’t going to stump up for another matching filter and it worked very well.

You can also buy Canon camera lens caps which clip nicely onto the front 👍

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Excellent!

It’s amazing when you first press that IS button isn’t it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Might be worth getting a set of step down rings for the front objectives. That allows you to fit 2” filters and then you could go NAN and Veil (etc) hunting with them. I can’t recall which size is needed but with try to dig the info out. I used one UHC and one OIII, wasn’t going to stump up for another matching filter and it worked very well.

That’s a really good idea, didn’t think of that, thanks 😃

3 hours ago, Stu said:

You can also buy Canon camera lens caps which clip nicely onto the front

Ah ha, great minds etc… already had picked up a pair of (generic) 58mm lens caps, which work well and protect it. Thanks to @JeremyS too for heads up that they don’t arrive with any objective covers 😮

I’ve also fitted some UV (clear) filters too, to protect the front objectives in use, but jury is out as to whether these will degrade the image quality and are even necessary 🤔

D2F7BB00-2A81-4775-9F94-31718D5ADB81.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

That’s a really good idea, didn’t think of that, thanks 😃

Ah ha, great minds etc… already had picked up a pair of (generic) 58mm lens caps, which work well and protect it. Thanks to @JeremyS too for heads up that they don’t arrive with any objective covers 😮

I’ve also fitted some UV (clear) filters too, to protect the front objectives in use, but jury is out as to whether these will degrade the image quality and are even necessary 🤔

D2F7BB00-2A81-4775-9F94-31718D5ADB81.jpeg

Good stuff. Annoying that Canon don’t provide their own ones, but probably that the camera and binocular divisions don’t talk!

Just checked and (sure you guessed this) you need 58mm to 48mm step down rings to be able to fit 2” filters.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good stuff. Annoying that Canon don’t provide their own ones, but probably that the camera and binocular divisions don’t talk!

Just checked and (sure you guessed this) you need 58mm to 48mm step down rings to be able to fit 2” filters.

Does seem a bit daft, especially considering the cost 😮

I hadn’t checked yet, so thank you, and that is something I really wouldn’t have considered… using filters in binoculars 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Does seem a bit daft, especially considering the cost 😮

I hadn’t checked yet, so thank you, and that is something I really wouldn’t have considered… using filters in binoculars 👍

Well worth a try. I’ve definitely seen the NAN and Eastern Veil in my 15x50IS some years back. The Western is trickier I think because it is thinner and the wider parts are fainter. With my little 7x35s filtered I get great views of the Cygnus nebulosity from my garden. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well worth a try. I’ve definitely seen the NAN and Eastern Veil in my 15x50IS some years back. The Western is trickier I think because it is thinner and the wider parts are fainter. With my little 7x35s filtered I get great views of the Cygnus nebulosity from my garden. 

This is why I love this forum 😃

I would never have considered even trying this 🤞

• Like 2

Although I have never used Canon IS binos I have used my Helios Apollo binos which have a screw thread in the EP setup. I have screwed a UHC and O-III filters into the binos and have had excellent views of the NAN and the Veil.- - plus other Nebs.

So it worth a try getting filters into the Canon binos because the outcome is really magnificant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7th September, 10pm BST

- 6 inch Newt , SvBony 7-21mm zoom +
iPhone for imaging  

Attempted observation of some moon features using the Heritage 150p with good opportunities presenting in between swirling cloud - creating impressive and captivating lighting effects as the lunar surface appeared and disappeared behind cover. 

When clear I was hoping to spot Schikard, on the SW limb. Challenging and not 100% sure I could locate it (7th Sept probably just on the edge of the opportunity according to S@N). But if zoomed in to the quick iPhone capture I might be able to just see one or two of the associated craterlets. Maybe my imagination and will certainly need to try again on another occasion to be sure. Attempting to orientate using prominent  Gassendi and Mersenius amongst others provided a good way to reacquaint myself with the lunar surface though - feels like it has been a while. A short but fun grab and go session on the moon. 

3487C60C-351A-4FCF-8324-8E3D87D6ED6A.thumb.jpeg.887ba1eceda32b88bd07d38262a666d3.jpeg

• Like 7

I've just come in from an hour or so looking at Jupiter. Io's shadow was clearly visible, and I saw the start of the transit of Io itself, until it moved away from the limb. I got some glimpses of structure in the cloud bands too. 

Also a quick peek at Saturn, because why not? 

• Like 5

I was observing the nearly full moon last night and identified a new to me feature, " Miyamori Valley". It looks like a straight dark line joining the craters Lohrmann and Riccioli. A fantastic sight at lunar sunrise.Screenshot_2022-09-10-08-00-19-02.thumb.png.ea05e71288c8555d31bb9e556d33378c.png

Edited by Epick Crom
  • Like 5

I set up the 150mm Newt at 8.30 but I was dodging clouds for the first couple of hours, then it mostly cleared. This time, ClearOutside takes the trophy, spot on. Meteoblue and Metcheck were too pessimistic.

Of course the big, bright thing was there throughout, so I split a few doubles (including λ Cygni, 0.9" at 335x) and had a look at Jupiter and Saturn. Io's shadow showed up nice and sharp, but only traces of detail in the NEB and SEB. Saturn was better than I expected, showing a faint band in the northern hemisphere. But mainly I was trying out a new Barlow, so a lot of comparisons with my other one. It performed as well, possibly better.

• Like 7

JUPITER!

Amazing view. The seeing turned out to be decent after 11pm. Watched some of Io's shadow transit. Very cool, with the shadow a tiny round black dot on the gas giant's surface.

Later saw Mars coming up over the trees and although tiny, I spotted the polar cap and some dark features on the surface.

To bed at 00.30...

• Like 7

Jupiter in very steady seeing tonight. Also the Moon - incredible detail but the full moon burned a hole in my retina. Had a look at Polaris on a computer screen - very strikingly yellow and blue.

• Like 3