Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, restarting after 20+ years

zappagreen

Hi All. Been a long time lurker as have been considering buying another telescope for a while now ( I say another, I last had one when I was 16, now 39..)

Keen to start observing, but having 3 children under 4 means I'm normally passed out on sofa by 10. So I think winter will be my friend.

Looking to buy a 200p Dob shortly, and will give it a go. Hoping light pollution around Maidenhead (Berks) isn't too bad as can't see me travelling out to the countryside to observe. 

Looks like a great community on here, and has been extremely useful in helping me decide where to start again.

• Like 4

Hi and welcome to SGL and welcome back to astronomy.

Yes even casual observing can be difficult with work and a growing family but even if you get a few hours here and there on those dark clear winter nights what a way to relax and let all the pressures of life disappear for those brief moments.

Also SGL is a great place to chat and discuss astro stuff at any time so even from your armchair you can get your dose of astronomy.

Hope you get your dob soon, and I hope you get those clear skies too 🙂 

Steve

Welcome aboard SGL and welcome back to astronomy. Good to have you with us.

I also took a 20+ break from astronomy for various reasons, but it's great to be back. All your old favourites are up there just waiting to be observed again.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself again, especially with that Dob.

Welcome to SGL, you have zeroed in on the ideal scope to come back with as it is an amazingly versatile telescope, the vast majority of us have had one and many never let them go. Have fun with it, the more you use it the stronger it’s gravitational pull will become, it is addicting to say the least.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Have just ordered the 200p Dob along with the usual (Turn left at Orion, Cheshire, BST 8mm). Looking forward to a clear night to test. 

Got to clear some room in the shed now for storage..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...