Narrowband

SGL 2021 Challenge 6 - Jupiter

Start date: 1st July 2021

End date: 30th Sept 2021

Jupiter is starting to reach a reasonable altitude again so this is a chance for all you planetary imagers.  As well as a beautiful image of Jupiter itself there are lots of opportunities for showing the moons including transits, conjunctions, animations and so on.

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

Winning entries receive a personalised SGL winners mug.

• Like 4

• MartinB changed the title to SGL 2021 Challenge 6 - Jupiter

Martin

Thank you for setting up this competition. What about those of us who have already suffered through the horrors of an 0230 alarm clock to capture Jupiter?

I guess I will have to try again - although the skies here seem to be permanently opaque!

j2021-06-24-02-45-Radice label copy.png

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

My first image of jupiter this year with Ganymede transit i believe..still need to work on processing though 🙃

1437531515_BsK4vnv-Imgur.jpg.072019390ccec4db42edb8eed5dd0d88.jpg

Forgot to add the info, StellaLyra 8" CC, ZWO224MC, best 10% of 5000 frames, Taken on July 17th around 2AM, SharpCap/AS3/Registax.

Edited by WbRaDy
  • Like 18

This is my best picture of Jupiter to date, as I am still learning how to do planetary pictures. I managed to capture 3 moons, as well as a Ganymede transit. Unfortunately I was a bit too late for the Great Red Spot but think it's still a nice picture!

received_197860328944698.webp

• Like 11

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

They're both excellent Mark

Cheers Geof. I always admire the excellent images posted from more tropical locations and wish mine would show the same fine detail.  Oh well, Jupiter is climbing higher now so there is always time.  

On another note, Wednesday morning will show another shadow transit so I will be setting an early alarm clock - and checking my collimation.

Thanks once again!

• Like 1

Hi,

Here's an image taken from last weekend in western Germany. The seeing was pretty good so I was a little bit disappointed with the initial results. I watched a couple of videos on You Tube, reprocessed my data and am happier with the results. I didn't crop the image as I had done previously so you can now see Europa, Ganymede (transiting) and Io in the frame.

Information:

Date and Time (UTC): 17.07.21    23:44

Jupiter's elevation: +20 degrees

Equipment:  Deforked Meade 2080 8 inch SCT, Vixen GP-E Mount with SW motorset, Zwo ADC, Baader UV-IR Cut Filter, Zwo asi224mc.

6000 images. Best 15% used. PIPP, Autostekkert!3, Registax6.

Clear skies!

Peter

Jupiter_6000_best15_17-07-21-2344UTC.png.f25db637da239cdbffbfbe123b890853.png

• Like 13

On 20/07/2021 at 08:31, neil phillips said:

Snatched the GRS just before cloud hit.  245MM Orion Newtonian EQ5Mount. QHY462C Camera. GSO 3X ED Barlow lens QHY UV IR CUT Filter. 

RGB 

01:28 UT

Jupiter 20th July RGB.png

I'm surprised you can get such a decent image from these kinds of latitudes, especially considering you're not using an ADC. Are there any tips you can give except "get better seeing" aha

Matt

Forgot all about the imaging comps!

Here is my entry (probably one of many no doubt).

Captured morning of the 16th July. 

Blue tube Sky-watcher 300p on EQ6 with QHY462c and about 2.8x barlow power. ZWO ADC. 

6 x 90 second captures, best 10% stacked of each and then run through winjupos. 

Jup_2021-07-16_0152UT_CT.png

• Like 23

On 23/07/2021 at 16:20, matt_baker said:

I'm surprised you can get such a decent image from these kinds of latitudes, especially considering you're not using an ADC. Are there any tips you can give except "get better seeing" aha

Matt

Hi Matt probably a few things actually. Mass produced scopes can often do as well as premium scopes. But is more hit and miss. You may or may not get lucky its quite unpredictable in my opinion. So first  fairly large good adequate optics. I have 1/10th pv Orion primary and Antares 1/30th secondary. You need good cooldown. a fan helps cool the optics run for a hour before starting. Good collimation its very important. Good settings with a good camera the latest 462 chip is very good. A balance between speed (exposure) and noise (gain) must be struck depending on the size of the scope. In this case i was at 125th secs exposure 125 frames per second. with a histogram around the 60% mark. Some may max it to 70% but that doesnt leave a lot of wiggle room for processing. But either will work. Good wavelet control i process at 200% resample. i can see the noise better. make sure noise does not dominate. Over sharpening is not my cup of tea. Do a RGB Balance on registax. It sometimes guesses wrong. But not  with my data. Run your captures through PIPP Before stacking. Use winjupos..  it helps. Btw i am getting a ADC Soon as i can. Hope to do even better

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 4

Here's my collaboration!

Transit from Ganymede 25 July 2021
Average night conditions due to fine mist. The idea was to make a Gif of the Ganymede transit with at least 1 hour of duration, but due to fog the light conditions varied a lot, which would prevent having a homogeneous Gif.
Good thing Ganymede himself came out with good definition, note that especially in the image with the infrared filter the dark region of Edfu Facula at 2 am and the light region of Osiris at 6 am are perfectly distinguishable in the photo, which shows that they are not artifacts.
PS: The high resolution image of Ganymede was taken from the Virtual Planet Atlas.
https://cdn.astrobin.com/images/3740/2021/3bce2be4-50a9-4a53-afd2-48174c615315.png

x2.png

• Like 13

Hi, all. Here is my entry into the fray, lol. I imaged this one through my 180mm Mak using the ASI224MC, captured in FireCapture and processed in Registax 6 with post-processing in Photoshop:

100798080_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERGANYMEDETRANSITZWO7-25-21RGBSOFT.jpg.2cf9ded1b160ba3abfb41c9cd38ea1cd.jpg

A nice, clear shadow of Ganymede at the instant the moon appeared to begin crossing mighty Jupiter itself!

Cheers, Reggie🚀

Edited by orion25
updated image
  • Like 5

Ok, here is another entry, taken with the 180mm Mak using the ASI224MC, captured in FireCapture and processed in Registax 6 with post-processing in Photoshop, with the magical GRS just coming into view:

1993267193_jupiter7-24-21soft.jpg.79965ccb7cfbdf64d3f0c9a3e2df9f14.jpg

Regards, Reggie 🚀

Edited by orion25
updated image
  • Like 7

Hi,

Here's another entry 🙂 The colour balance seems to be a bit better this time. 

Callisto transiting with Io to the right.

Date and Time: July 29, 23:08 UTC

Jupiter at 23 degrees elevation.

Equipment: Meade 2080 8 inch SCT, Vixen GP-E Mount with SW Dual Motors, 1.5x Barlow, Zwo ADC, Baader UV-IR Cut Filter, Zwo asi224mc.

22,000 images, best 10% used. PIPP, Autostekkert!3, Registax6.

Final image reduced to 40% of original size.

Clear skies

Peter

post-299126-0-93160800-1627648343.png

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Peter_D said:

Callisto transiting with Io to the right.

Love the dynamic image you’ve caught there. Real celestial dynamics in action with the moon, shadow transit and GRS.

6 hours ago, astroavani said:

the result is still far from ideal

Gosh I wish my Jupiter images were that far from ideal. Wonderful details there, @astroavani  

• Like 1