Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Morning all

UKDiver

Hi,

Just saying hello from one of the more light polluted city areas of Devon.

I've had an vague interest in space since childhood, but never done much about it. Until now. Main hobby is scuba diving, which can be similarly challenging - especially with weather. ;) Not much of a photographer, I tend towards the eye-based widescreen of life, but who knows, that could change here.

Bye for now,

Adrian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKDiver said:

Hi,

Just saying hello from one of the more light polluted city areas of Devon.

I've had an vague interest in space since childhood, but never done much about it. Until now. Main hobby is scuba diving, which can be similarly challenging - especially with weather. ;) Not much of a photographer, I tend towards the eye-based widescreen of life, but who knows, that could change here.

Bye for now,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

I was watching a podcast by Dara O'Brien (who has recently taken up astrophotography). He made the analogy that astrophotography from a light polluted city was like taking up scuba diving but only doing in the river Thames. 😁

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

Hi Adrian

I was watching a podcast by Dara O'Brien (who has recently taken up astrophotography). He made the analogy that astrophotography from a light polluted city was like taking up scuba diving but only doing in the river Thames. 😁

hi Noodles,

Having done zero vis diving (sometimes deliberately), I reckon that's probably a very fair analogy. :D :(

Adrian

• Like 1

A very technical pursuit, lots to learn nice (expensive kit). A lot of the enjoyment is in the learning process. But dark, crystal clear skies are like coral reefs for the UK astrophotographer. You've heard they exist, you've seen pictures on the internet, but there aren't any around here. 😁

I wonder what the astrophotographical analogy of wreck diving is? 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

A very technical pursuit, lots to learn nice (expensive kit). A lot of the enjoyment is in the learning process. But dark, crystal clear skies are like coral reefs for the UK astrophotographer. You've heard they exist, you've seen pictures on the internet, but there aren't any around here. 😁

I wonder what the astrophotographical analogy of wreck diving is? 😆

Spot on.

High altitude, miles from anywhere? 'Gonna need a bigger boat' to get the job done. :)

• Like 1

Welcome aboard SGL Adrian, good to have you with us.

I'm an ex-diver, having gotten too old and creaky to dive safely. Yeah, there's plenty of parallels: a curiosity to see what's out there/down there with your own eyes, willingness to learn, patience, and lots of kit fettling. Unlike diving though, once you've got a good set of kit that you're happy with (he laughs, as if that ever really happens), the running costs are negligible.

Enjoy your new journey of discovery into the outer space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Convinced that "up there" you will discover wonders as amazing as those that are under the sea surface... Otherwise, I find it difficult to combine at the same time these two hobbies 😉 ... Welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chandra said:

Otherwise, I find it difficult to combine at the same time these two hobbies 😉 ... Welcome!

I did once. When I came up from my first night dive in a lake, I was asked the traditional "what's the vis like?" question by another diver*.

"About a quarter of a million miles," I said.
"Eh???"
"Full moon. It's visible from the bottom!" 🤣

(*viz is diver-speak for visibility - how far the water conditions let you see).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...