Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New APM "super zoom"

John

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I dedicate this to CN 😁

PONTIFICATE

Word forms: plural, 3rd person singular present tensepontificates, present participle pontificating , past tense, past participle pontificatedPRONUNCIATION NOTE:   The verb is pronounced (pɒntɪfɪkeɪt ). The noun is pronounced (pɒntɪfɪkət ).1. VERB

If someone pontificates about something, they state their opinions as if they are the only correct ones and nobody could possibly argue against them.

[formal]

Politicians like to pontificate about falling standards. [V + about/on]

[Also VERB]

Synonyms: expound, preach, sound off, pronounce  

I can't think of any recent US leaders who might fit that definition. :icon_scratch:😁

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

From Mr Ludes

here more factory news , my questions and factory answeres

Some advises and questions

1, what ist he eyerelief from top of mechanic at different focal length ?
7.7mm: eyerelief is 18mm
15.4mm:eyerelief is 20mm

2, can you do again dual barrel 1.25“/2.“ Like on XWA eyepieces ?
Yes, similar to XWA 1.25 and 2” barrel

3, can you engrave for astronomy use the focal length and not the power on the eyepiece ?
Yes, our other zoom eyepieces are with focal length.7.7,8.7,10.2,12.2,15.4

4, can you design the top to accept the Tele Vue Astigmatism corrector called Dioptricx > https://www.televue...._page.asp?id=54 ? more details here > https://www.widescre...-corrector.html 
This adapter should be easy to make, we plan to make this corrector on our eyepieces

5. Whats the body diameter ?
The diameter of the largest part (rubber grip) is 53.8mm, and the diameter of the remaining part is 53mm or so.

6. Will the new Zoom be parfocal on all length ?
It is parfocal at different focal length.

7. If you can do the eyeside with a conical shape you will increase very much the sales
1.25”barrel is straight, the top shape is conical like XWA
If you can do click stop zoom you gain another better sale
It's a little bit complicated and difficult to add to this device

The eyecup is similar to the 12.5eyepiece, fold-up.
We have designed two product style, the right one looks very nice.

Zoom.jpg.7e028c77b5af319b29f554c9eaad30ff.jpg

OMG! 😲 32mm of in-focus will be required???  I've only got about 15mm of in-focus left on my Dob with a CC in place.  It would be fine in my fracs and Maks, though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johninderby said:

One thing I notice on CN is the passing judgement on an as yet untested bit of new equipment is a popular sport. 😁

Once someone has got their hands on one and actually tried it then I’ll take notice of their opinion. 🙂

No surprise there then 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

We never get into a froth. I might raise the occasional eyebrow, or utter a faint 'hmmm' - but not very often 😜

To get into a "froth" would be illogical.

Live long,and prosper :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it wasn't for CN we would not have this thread. Markus Ludes (APM) posts there but not here.

It's a different style of forum to SGL but there is much to be gleaned from it if you have some patience.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, John said:

If it wasn't for CN we would not have this thread. Markus Ludes (APM) posts there but not here.

It's a different style of forum to SGL but there is much to be gleaned from it if you have some patience.

Indeed, the mirror of this thread on CN is funny to read. As one of the poster's said on CN, "How CN this thread is". 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Indeed there are many kind, helpful and very knowledgeable people on CN. Just a shame that you have to wade through loads of repetitive......ahh “stuff” to get to the good parts. 

Yessss 🤣

Once this APM zoom is in its final design and actually produced, someone will buy one. Next they will use it and report their findings and rate it. It’s like landing people living on mars, hard to rate the experience yet. Speculation is a fine thing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Not sure I could handle that much CN froth anyway, Dave

bubble.jpg.5d52ea6d66cbed36d978db2a0d4a6d2d.jpg

Is that "life restoring" froth Jeremy? You look MUCH younger than in your avatar, and you have dark hair too!:glasses12::help:

Dave 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/03/2021 at 11:54, Louis D said:

OMG! 😲 32mm of in-focus will be required???  I've only got about 15mm of in-focus left on my Dob with a CC in place.  It would be fine in my fracs and Maks, though.

Upon reexamining the diagram, that's 32mm of in-focus in 1.25" mode and 8mm in 2" mode, which is workable for me.

However, notice that the prototype and design diagrams don't match up very well:

spacer.png

So, who know where the focus point will end up?

6 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

There was a post on CN noting posters on SGL where complaining about the froth in the APM superzoom thread today. 😄

It's shame if the two major forums feel that each other might "trash talk" each other. I've been a member of both SGL and CN for a similar amount of time and found them both very useful but in different ways and with different styles.

I'm sure we used to have a rule on here about not rubbishing other forums and likewise on CN. I'd like to think that mutual respect still exists.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, John said:

It's shame if the two major forums feel that each other might "trash talk" each other. I've been a member of both SGL and CN for a similar amount of time and found them both very useful but in different ways and with different styles.

I'm sure we used to have a rule on here about not rubbishing other forums and likewise on CN. I'd like to think that mutual respect still exists.

I noted it because I was shocked to see it being noted.

Your right nothing happens in a vacuum so to say.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

We should soon know for sure whether a Dioptrx will fit.  The first redesign wouldn't, so I sent my spare Dioptrx to the makers in China so that they could use it as a template.  They received it last week.  I'll report back in due course.

Hope you get one of the zooms gratis in return for your input Steve :thumbright:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Totally agree John. 

On the eyepiece, clearly it’s aimed at the Leica ASPH, a wonderful eyepiece that has ruled the zoom roost for the past 6-7 years. When I bought my Leica (sadly now sold) it was about £480. It’s now £650+, and the Starlight adapter to turn it into an astronomical eyepiece is (an equally astronomical) £200. So if the APM is in the same ballpark optically, it will be a winner

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

It has the potential to be a very good eyepiece. Would definitely consider replacing my Baader zoom if the reviews/reports are good. The Leica always sounded great but very expensive. 

Agree, although it looks like the weight will be around 1kg. Thats ES20/ Ethos 21 wieght class, and almost 3 times the weight of the Baader zoom.

Rune