SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New APM "super zoom"

John

28 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

I've just checked on the status of this and the delivery time has changed from a specified month to 'on request'. I suppose it's good that they are not trying to rush it to market (unless the delay is just Covid related), but I am getting a bit impatient to see some reviews!

Last I heard was October earliest. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 07/01/2022 at 02:00, John said:

I wonder who is doing the beta testing ?

..the same people who were testing the Morpheus 17.5mm before launch?🤭😂

Mind you, it was worth the 3 year wait..one of my favourite eyepieces👍

Dave

• Like 1

The last thing that APM will want to do is to put out something with less than impressive performance. Forums such as SGL and CN mean that word gets around really quickly and once something gets a few wavering reports, it is very hard to pull it back from that setback I think.

The damage from a delay, even a long one, can be overcome if the product turns out to be a good one in the end.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/01/2022 at 08:34, John said:

The last thing that APM will want to do is to put out something with less than impressive performance. Forums such as SGL and CN mean that word gets around really quickly and once something gets a few wavering reports, it is very hard to pull it back from that setback I think.

The damage from a delay, even a long one, can be overcome if the product turns out to be a good one in the end.

So true.  The Celestron Luminos and Meade MWA lines never really recovered from poor reports by early adopters.  MWAs were discontinued after just a few years.

On the other hand, everyone praises the 17.5mm Morpheus even after a 3 year wait for it.

If early adopters report that eye relief works for eyeglass wearers and the quality of the image is a good step up from the BHZ, I'll probably get one of these new zooms.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2021 at 13:23, John said:

If it wasn't for CN we would not have this thread. Markus Ludes (APM) posts there but not here.

It's a different style of forum to SGL but there is much to be gleaned from it if you have some patience.

Interesting, in what way? 

3 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

Afternoon tea man here, preferably Darjeeling 

I'm an iced tea man myself, it being so hot most of the year here in Texas.  I prefer it freshly brewed and strong.  In fact, so fresh it melts the ice so I have to add more to cool it to near freezing, thus the need for it to be brewed strong.  Nothing offends me more than instant iced tea from a mix served from a beverage fountain.  Ugh, disgusting.🤮

• Like 1

I've been a member over on CN even longer than here ( 14 or 15 years)

Its an astro forum ; whats not to like ? 

I like the fact they have many different sub groups on there ie a separate group for refractors , reflectors , cats and casses, where on here its all bunched together.

And they have a bino-viewer group ! 😀

And of course theres some very knowledgeable guys on there (on here too) and i've learnt much from them over the years.....

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

On CN they do enjpy their ahhh robust discussions 😁

A goldmine of info though if you take your time to dig it out. 👍🏻

I must have been lucky, not seen anything nasty to date. I have noticed a few cultural differences, mostly round gear choices, some of which is to do with availability both sides of the pond I guess 

1 minute ago, Space Hopper said:

I've been a member over on CN even longer than here ( 14 or 15 years)

Its an astro forum ; whats not to like ? 

I like the fact they have many different sub groups on there ie a separate group for refractors , reflectors , cats and casses, where on here its all bunched together.

And they have a bino-viewer group ! 😀

And of course theres some very knowledgeable guys on there (on here too) and i've learnt much from them over the years.....

I do like the refractor forum over there, always seemed such a friendly place...

I do tend to miss things like that sometimes it has to be said...

• 1 month later...