Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New APM "super zoom"

John

This could be quite interesting.

Not a particularly wide range (7.7mm - 15.4mm) but a 75 degree constant apparent field of view:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/758189-new-apm-zoom-eyepiece-77mm-154mm-75°-constant-fov/?p=10915903

Combined with a fine quality barlow / telextender maybe ?

Edited by John
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like an interesting product John..the thought of a Morpheus sized FOV covering that range would be quite appealing😉.

And it would hopefully barlow well too..I regularly use my Hyperion Zoom 2.25x barlow with my Carton 7-21mm zoom, which turns it into a 3.1mm-9.3mm high power zoom. 

It works very well but of course is still limited to the 60deg to 40 deg FOV, so a constant 75 deg field could be pretty special. Would the APM need refocusing at different powers I wonder? My Carton zoom is almost but not quite parfocal across it's range 🤔..

Thanks for sharing, John👍

Dave

• Thanks 1

Yes, that would be a very interesting eyepiece. I'm looking forward to read about the optical performance. 75 deg over the whole range is great. Pricepoint expected to be around the € 300 mark. 

15.4 mm is not really low power but I don't think many people use the Baader in in 18-24 range anyway because of the small FoV. Would complement nicely with one or two low-power, widefield eyepieces. 

• Like 1

I just had an epiphany.  At 15.5mm and 75 degrees, it will most likely have a wider true field of view than the typical 8-24mm zoom at 24mm and 44 degrees.  It will also be wider at the short end as well.  It should yield a very useful range of magnifications and TFOVs.

One thing I notice on CN is the passing judgement on an as yet untested bit of new equipment is a popular sport. 😁

Once someone has got their hands on one and actually tried it then I’ll take notice of their opinion. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Apparently, us Americans are in a much bigger froth over it than folks on the other side of the pond.

We never get into a froth. I might raise the occasional eyebrow, or utter a faint 'hmmm' - but not very often 😜

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

We never get into a froth. I might raise the occasional eyebrow, or utter a faint 'hmmm' - but not very often 😜

Quintessential British stiff upper lip, I presume.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

And have a nice hot cuppa. 🙂

Edited by johninderby

27 minutes ago, Louis D said:

All the same issues being regurgitated over and over again on page after page of this CN thread.  Apparently, us Americans are in a much bigger froth over it than folks on the other side of the pond.

Saw the CN thread, scan read it as so much *froth*. Thought I ask the question on SGL as I thought it would not cause *noise* until we got a definite answer. 

Edited by Deadlake

From Mr Ludes

here more factory news , my questions and factory answeres

Some advises and questions

1, what ist he eyerelief from top of mechanic at different focal length ?
7.7mm: eyerelief is 18mm
15.4mm:eyerelief is 20mm

2, can you do again dual barrel 1.25“/2.“ Like on XWA eyepieces ?
Yes, similar to XWA 1.25 and 2” barrel

3, can you engrave for astronomy use the focal length and not the power on the eyepiece ?
Yes, our other zoom eyepieces are with focal length.7.7,8.7,10.2,12.2,15.4

4, can you design the top to accept the Tele Vue Astigmatism corrector called Dioptricx > https://www.televue...._page.asp?id=54 ? more details here > https://www.widescre...-corrector.html 
This adapter should be easy to make, we plan to make this corrector on our eyepieces

5. Whats the body diameter ?
The diameter of the largest part (rubber grip) is 53.8mm, and the diameter of the remaining part is 53mm or so.

6. Will the new Zoom be parfocal on all length ?
It is parfocal at different focal length.

7. If you can do the eyeside with a conical shape you will increase very much the sales
1.25”barrel is straight, the top shape is conical like XWA
If you can do click stop zoom you gain another better sale
It's a little bit complicated and difficult to add to this device

The eyecup is similar to the 12.5eyepiece, fold-up.
We have designed two product style, the right one looks very nice.

Zoom.jpg.7e028c77b5af319b29f554c9eaad30ff.jpg

• Like 5

There do seem to be these days a lot of people who can't distinguish between opinion and fact, or ignore facts in favour of their opinion.

I prefer a more reasoned approach and will wait until someone with a decent reputation provides an objective review. Meanwhile I'm going to put the kettle on...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I dedicate this to CN 😁

PONTIFICATE

Word forms: plural, 3rd person singular present tensepontificates, present participle pontificating , past tense, past participle pontificatedPRONUNCIATION NOTE:   The verb is pronounced (pɒntɪfɪkeɪt ). The noun is pronounced (pɒntɪfɪkət ).1. VERB

If someone pontificates about something, they state their opinions as if they are the only correct ones and nobody could possibly argue against them.

[formal]

Politicians like to pontificate about falling standards. [V + about/on]

[Also VERB]

Synonyms: expound, preach, sound off, pronounce  

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 5