Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CLEAR SKIES ALL NIGHT IN MOST PLACES - WED 10TH TO THUR 11TH !!

paulastro

Typical!!.. This happened a few weeks ago too when it snowed.. I couldn't get the Obsy roof open.. even after shovelling as much of the frozen snow off as I could it was still froze tight. This time it's deeper & still coming down thick. Just calculated the weight of snow on the roof out of interest.. apparently a 5m x 3m roof (flat, slight angle for run off) with a foot of snow on it is close to 3,400kg !! No wonder the motor laughed at me. Just as well I over engineered the Obsy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

After all it would be unusual for me to have a clear night that coincided with no moon.

Aint that the truth :(

I actually think a New Moon will overturn any forecast!! And if enough stargazers moved to the Sahara it'd be awash with lakes and rivers within a few years...

• Haha 2

Went to look outside about half hour ago and crystal clear couldn;t see a cloud so out went the rig. polar aligned then came in to the warmth and whilst deciding on target couldn't find a dammed thing, Went outside and its snowing.

1612901079515.thumb.jpg.6f74fadba0bc9adaae259ee3b61a3bb3.jpg

Caps back on and I will give it an hour to clear then cart it all back inside if it doesn't.

I guess I was hopeful, too hopeful.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

................. Went outside and its snowing.

This is a good website

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

You can track when a shower is coming in.   You have about 10 mins delay on the update, but it is enough to give you a warning.
Looks like tonight we are in the firing line  !!!

Sean.

• Thanks 1

Set up and ready. At the moment there's large clouds flying over. It looks like the sky won't clear until around midnight here.

A pre tea nap and coffee on the go.

The Android weather app I'm using is much more accurate than CO. The radar is handy too.

https://www.weatherandradar.co.uk/?utm_source=app&utm_medium=de.wetteronline.wetterapp&utm_content=menu

Good luck all!

Meteoblue Weather radar showing a large snow shower heading directly for the observatory and it is "black over Will's mother's" as they used to say where I grew up - but looks like clear skies once it has passed.  Three targets lined up in SGP.  Now if only I can get plate solving to work...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AMcD said:

it is "black over Will's mother's" as they used to say where I grew up

Lincolnshire/north Midlands by any chance?  My dad is from Lincs and it's an expression he uses that seems quite uncommon otherwise.

James

Went for a little walk earlier, steely grey skies and plenty of snow falling, so left the camera whee it was dry and safe and took a quick snap with the slightly smart 'phone

littlehopesky.jpg.4159ebe958225c24e575294f99c79bed.jpg

But as I headed home again ... a miracle , the snow stopped falling, clouds departed, proper camera could come out ...

hopefulsky.jpg.619aecbdf4309c571604fbb7236e2caf.jpg

And now C.O. says green for go 7pm 'till 7am Beeb agrees .  Cautiously optimistic ...

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Lincolnshire/north Midlands by any chance?  My dad is from Lincs and it's an expression he uses that seems quite uncommon otherwise.

James

Suffolk.  My grandfather used to use the phrase regularly and my mother and uncles still do from time to time.

A

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AMcD said:

Meteoblue Weather radar showing a large snow shower heading directly for the observatory and it is "black over Will's mother's" as they used to say where I grew up

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

James

South side of Brum we said 'Bill's mother's' which adds a nice bit of alliteration ,  I vaguely wondered if it was that bloke from Stratford  U. A .

Do you 'go all around the Wrekin'' too ? I bemused a few folk with that one when I came to the East Mid.s ...

Heather