sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

SGL 2021 Challenge 1 - Satellites

The theme for the first Challenge - February 2021 - is Satellite(s)!

Start Date: 1st February 2021
End Date: 30th April 2021

Any image that fits the theme ‘Satellite(s)’ will be accepted. We will use NASAs definition of a Satellite but are not looking for anything specific. It might be an artistic single frame, a ‘lucky shot’ or a highly planned, multi-night epic! The winning image will be whichever one the judges like best!

As previously the winner and runners up will receive an SGL challenge mug showing their image along with a virtual medal-of-honour for their SGL signature.

Please post entries directly into this thread

To keep the thread manageable for the judges please do not post comments about entries, emoji reactions are welcome of course.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please make a fresh post within the thread.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted this in another area and a couple people mentioned that I should enter it here. I've never considered an asteroid a satellite but using NASA's very broad definition, just about anything can be considered a satellite. So here's my entry of an animation I created a couple days ago of the asteroid (4) Vesta in the constellation Leo.

Edited by SiriusDoggy
  • Like 5

Here's another entry in the satellite challenge for you folks to judge. This is part of a very long live virtual star party I was doing for a few people but I actually had this planned out. I had never seen the top secret U.S. Department of Defense X-37B unmanned shuttle before and noticed it was going to make a pass this evening.  I've linked to just the part of the video where I begin talking about the satellite a few minutes before the pass. If you care to jump straight to the satellite pass, there's a table of contents in the video description that will get you to about 10 seconds before the pass.

• Like 4
On 12/02/2021 at 18:19, SiriusDoggy said:

Here's another entry in the satellite challenge for you folks to judge. This is part of a very long live virtual star party I was doing for a few people but I actually had this planned out. I had never seen the top secret U.S. Department of Defense X-37B unmanned shuttle before and noticed it was going to make a pass this evening.  I've linked to just the part of the video where I begin talking about the satellite a few minutes before the pass. If you care to jump straight to the satellite pass, there's a table of contents in the video description that will get you to about 10 seconds before the pass.

That's v cool - a drone shuttle!

Here is my submission for the theme satellites

The title is Starlink, and shows the effect that the SpaceX starlink is having on our sky, astrophotography, and astronomy science. This data was only 1 hour long and taken on 10/02/21. I've processed and merged two images one where the satellite trails where removed from the stack and one where they were not.

Imagine how many subs we will have with satellite trails where there are 50,000+ of these in our sky

M31_starlink.thumb.png.139403d0d39aad202d79bf8155fe1a3f.png

Edited by festoon
  • Like 5
  • Sad 3

Our satellite. Prime focus on a 8" Dob using Nikon D3200 iso 100, 1/50 s exposure.

moon.jpg

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

I'm new to the imaging game and here's another one of our satellite. 

Shot tonight at Prime focus with Celestron SLT 102 refractor and Sony Alpha SLT 65.

Shot 250 frames as ISO 200 at 1/500s. Stack of best 50 frames Autostakkert, wavelets in Registax. Further processing in Gimp and Aurora HDR.

Moon 2502-21 Final2.png

• Like 3