SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 through the trees (with Starlink satellite train)

Here's a 1h25m timelapse showing M31 setting behind the trees, with a guest appearance from a Starlink satellite train. Taken on the 1st March 2021 from 7:55PM to 9:05PM. Moonrise was 8:40PM, as it rises its light washes out the detail in the galaxy.

Taken with the Samyang 135mm f2 and Canon 6d, using just 10 second exposures. I processed the first frame in PS (mostly using Noel's actions) then used batch processing to apply the same workflow to all 360 frames.

Hope you like it, more details here if anyone is interested.

• Like 38
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, theropod said:

The folks that approved of these low orbit sats should be forced to watch that video for 12 hours straight.

I'm thinking of that scene in 'A Clockwork Orange' ....

Edited by Tiny Clanger
' not @ !
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone, glad you liked it. Took me a long time to put the video together, largely due to my unfamiliarity with the editing software.

16 hours ago, vineyard said:

That is lovely - really nicely done 👏🏾 you should definitely put that into the satellite imaging challenge.

Will do thanks. I was surprised by the number of satellites on show, even before Starlink showed up. Does anyone have any tips for identifying them please? At 0:26 there is a slow one moving from right to left, it passes straight through M110.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies

3 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Does anyone have any tips for identifying them please? At 0:26 there is a slow one moving from right to left, it passes straight through M110.

I use stellarium and bump up the satellite slider in the settings and put the time to when the satellite passes the preferred object 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...