Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow its cold out there!

Barry-W-Fenner

It sure is cold out tonight, viewing conditions seem pretty decent though. Mars at x230 showing its current phase and a very subtle level of grey detail.

A fairly small adjustment and I'm now looking at Uranus, Ive spent quite a bit of time just watching that little green disc cross the FOV. A stunning planet.

Seven sisters and the moon just rising above my house roof now. The 17.5mm Morpheus will give some lovely low power views of these two.

I would like to spend some time on orion but it's a long way off being visible yet, I might have frozen before i see it tonight.

Clear skies all 👍

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Still above freezing here, but only just.  I don't think it'll last more than another half hour or so given how fast the temperature is dropping.  Definitely going to be a chilly evening.

James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

It sure is cold out tonight, viewing conditions seem pretty decent though. Mars at x230 showing its current phase and a very subtle level of grey detail.

A fairly small adjustment and I'm now looking at Uranus, Ive spent quite a bit of time just watching that little green disc cross the FOV. A stunning planet.

Seven sisters and the moon just rising above my house roof now. The 17.5mm Morpheus will give some lovely low power views of these two.

I would like to spend some time on orion but it's a long way off being visible yet, I might have frozen before i see it tonight.

Clear skies all 👍

Nice little session, cold and little hazy in Bedfordshire. Just come in leaving a lovely Moon Halo behind, looked pretty cool!

• Like 1

I’ve just come in after a couple of very enjoyable hours. Started with a bit of high cloud which cleared and caused the temperature To drop dramatically!!... Feet like blocks of ice!! 
It was first proper light with the ED100....my first ever frac which certainly took a bit of getting used to!! But I was very impressed when combined with my Morpheus eyepieces, pin sharp stars as I chased doubles around Orion as a result of the full (ish) Moon. Love the combo I’ve got now, the frac for double stars, planets and brighter objects and the newt for the faint fuzzies. 
Warming up with a rum now after a successful evening!

Hope you guys are enjoying the evening 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

i remember someone else on here from Canada telling about the -25 temperatures and the Wolves howling!

Yup, that would be me, there was a set of tracks across the point again the other day. They love travelling across the lake ice to hunt.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

Did you have to change the mount cables and grease? My AZEQ6 isn't used in the extreme cold because of the issues.

The current mount has performed well. My previous CGEM sounded like it was about to give up in the cold, even after servicing it. The CEM60 doen't seem to mind. Granted, it is getting off rather easy at the moment since it is only carrying the SpaceCat. Guiding errors might be unnoticeable too with the short focal length, but I haven't seen any problems so far. All the cables stiffen up, but it hasn't caused problems. I have installed everything in a way that nothing is hanging off the telescope, and no cables should be moving during operation.

• Like 1