Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Xmas lights still up?

johninderby

Do you have neighbours that still have their Xmas lights on?  Have one neighbour that still has all the outside Xmas lights turned on every night with decorated trees etc. 

Or are you one of those that still like their Xmas lights this late after Xmas? 🤔😁

Edited by johninderby

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Do you have neighbours that still have their Xmas lights on?  Have one neighbour that still has all the outside Xmas lights turned on every night with decorated trees etc. 

Or are you one of those that still like their Xmas lights this late after Xmas? 🤔😁

What wrong with that....it’s keeping some people sane with everything that’s going on.... 👍🏼

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, johninderby said:

No, mine were switched off and brought in as tradition suggests on the 6th. I'm too mean to spend money on my power bill adding to light pollution beyond the confines of the festive season. No neighbour has theirs still on either, I've had no valid reason to go checking the wider area during lockdown, so it is only a vary small sample.

Heather

• Like 1

Yes, my neighbours still have theirs illuminating the sky. Last night was the first real clear night since before Xmas but their lights lit up the sky more than the moon. Being near to an airport, I worry if a pilot will mistake them for landing lights ✈

The pub up the road still has "icicles" up, at least the last time I looked. Planning on getting a takeaway from them tomorrow so wil see if they're still tup. I think all the other houses in the village have taken theirs down though a few were a bid tardy.

We stuck with tradition, 12 days before, 12 days after etc, but without my children and Grandchildren it was all rather pointless.  Lots  of people around here still have fairy lights and there is even a Christmas tree still going strong .  If it makes people feel better then that's fine but I was glad when it was over, a new year and a lots of hope !

• Like 1

Don't complain. If a distant neighbour still has his Christmas lights up you can use them to align your finder.

And if they include a well illuminated shiny bauble you may be able to use it for a star test on a cloudy night.

🎵   "Always look on the bright side of life." 🎵

Edited by lenscap
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

I do like seeing them but glad it’s not going on my electric bill. 😁

I had all my inside and outside lights on a wireless smart plug, (only spare timer plug I had) which monitors usage, and they are all LED as most are, and for the month they were up they cost 34p to run, so not really an issue.....unless you are extremely tight.... 😀👍🏼

Edited by Stuart1971

I went to get a takeaway at the local pub yesterday evening, and the usual suspects still had outside decorations going, including the pub, but I can forgive them for that. The private houses, nope. I even saw some decoration down the bottom end of my village (More a hamlet actually).

All I had over Christmas were a string of fairy lights hung up around the sitting room, and a couple of green swags. Nothing outside. To my mind it's just uncouth.

Technically lights can stay up until Candlemass in early February but when I did bother I normally took  them down around January 3rd. Don't actually see the point of them after 12th night as if they are kept up too long you'd get used to them and lose the magic the following  Christmas.

Having said that I'm not into Christmas these days and have not had a tree up for several years and private household outdoor displays have always really annoyed me.😡

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

To change the subject a bit has anyone localy started using outside projectors to light up their house and

garden yet.🤔

God help all us astro people when they do spread. 🙀

https://www.glow.co.uk/home-garden-lasers-projectors.html

Ho yes :(

There's been one in Wiveliscombe for the last few years and the family who have just moved in to one of the houses in our hamletette set one up this Christmas.

I nearly had to knock go over there, knock on the door and explain that it's not the way we do things around here.  Hanging toast soaked in cider in your apple trees and firing shotguns around them is all well and good, but projecting wibbly-wobbly images on the walls of your house is just taking things too far.

Wassail!
James

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Ho yes :(

There's been one in Wiveliscombe for the last few years and the family who have just moved in to one of the houses in our hamletette set one up this Christmas.

I nearly had to knock go over there, knock on the door and explain that it's not the way we do things around here.  Hanging toast soaked in cider in your apple trees and firing shotguns around them is all well and good, but projecting wibbly-wobbly images on the walls of your house is just taking things too far.

Wassail!
James

Drinc Hael !

Heather

19 minutes ago, johninderby said:

To change the subject a bit has anyone localy started using outside projectors to light up their house and

garden yet.🤔

God help all us astro people when they do spread. 🙀

https://www.glow.co.uk/home-garden-lasers-projectors.html

They actually had these things in an asda superstore near to me a few years ago , on the shelves with the other cheap xmas lights. I didn't see any actually in action though, I suspect they were too shoddily made to  last long in the rain !

I have this image in my mind of someone dressed ninja style in all black and with a pair of wire cutters carrying out acts of sabatage against such dastardly illuminations. 😁 

Although if snow is around make that dressed in all white. 😁

Edited by johninderby

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I have this image in my mind of someone dressed ninja style in all black and with a pair of wire cutters carrying out acts of sabatage against such dasterly illuminations. 😁 

Damn!  I didn't realise I'd been spotted.

James

Edited by JamesF
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

I have this image in my mind of someone dressed ninja style in all black and with a pair of wire cutters carrying out acts of sabatage against such dastardly illuminations. 😁 

To be honest, when I saw them in Asda and understood that the projectors would have to be positioned away from people's houses so that they threw their images on the front wall , presumably from near to the path/road, I thought they would be easy targets for thieves .

Lone Ninja Light Rectification Crusader , there's a Marvel superhero  who deserves their own comic ...

• Haha 1